This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

edited January 2008 in Video Games
For reference, this is what we're aiming for. An epic tale, told by epic players.

All who are interested, post ye names below. I'll update this post with the names as they appear.

Chapter One
thaneofcawdor - 1051: Foundation - Map, Save
WaterIsPoison - 1052: Steady Progress - Map, Save
Sail - 1053: Disaster - Map, Save
am_dragon - 1055: Reconquista - Map, Save
Infinity - 1056: Year of the Kobold - Map, Save, Alternate save
The wired. - skipped
Nineless - 1057: Demarcation - Map, Save, Alternate save

Chapter Two Players:
thaneofcawdor - 1058: Tyrannicide - Map, Save, Alternate save.
WaterIsPoison
Sail
Infinity
The wired
Nineless

Comments

• w00t! Count me in.
  • Ah damn it. I don't know how to play, or have the time for it. Make us an epic story players! *cheers*
  • I used to frequent a Civilization forum where they did this a lot. Some of the stories were pretty cool, I hope you guys keep us updated once this goes down.
  • Maybe... I think I need to spend more time playing before I join in.
  • No need to be intimidated by the game. Just remember - the more mistakes you make, the more interesting the game becomes. It's how you narrate your turn that makes a succession game great.
  • Alright, then I'm in.
  • It's how you narrate your turn that makes a succession game great.
    Agreed. Even if it's a crappy game, if you tell a good story it can be very entertaining.
  • We need one or two more players, but if we don't get any more people in the next couple of days, we'll get started regardless.

We should start talking about how we set the game up. What sort of location should the fortress be in - calm and peaceful, or full of undead beasties? And should we go with the default package of dwarves and goods, or should we customise? Any other ideas?
  • We should start talking about how we set the game up. What sort of location should the fortress be in - calm and peaceful, or full of undead beasties? And should we go with the default package of dwarves and goods, or should we customise? Any other ideas?
    Calm and peaceful should be fine. We will have enough trouble just playing a regular game without dying. We should start near a mountain and a river/stream.
  • Calm and peaceful should be fine. We will have enough trouble just playing a regular game without dying. We should start near a mountain and a river/stream.
    In all the games I've played, I actually find it very hard to die, even if I start in a horrible place. Maybe that's why I stopped playing the game. Losing is supposedly fun, but I never lost, I only quit.
  • edited January 2008
    We should start talking about how we set the game up. What sort of location should the fortress be in - calm and peaceful, or full of undead beasties? And should we go with the default package of dwarves and goods, or should we customise? Any other ideas?
    Calm and peaceful should be fine. We will have enough trouble just playing a regular game without dying. We should start near a mountain and a river/stream.
    Agreed. Let's not use the default build though. I'd rather pick one from the Wiki.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • In all the games I've played, I actually find it very hard to die, even if I start in a horrible place. Maybe that's why I stopped playing the game. Losing is supposedly fun, but I never lost, I only quit.
    Really? I just started a game and within two minutes a giant spider came and ripped apart my party. It was sad.
  • In all the games I've played, I actually find it very hard to die, even if I start in a horrible place. Maybe that's why I stopped playing the game. Losing is supposedly fun, but I never lost, I only quit.
    Really? I just started a game and within two minutes a giant spider came and ripped apart my party. It was sad.
    Ok, my goal this week will be to keep starting civs until I start someplace really fucking dangerous.
  • I might join in but I'm going to need some time. I tried playing a few months back and was daunted by the learning curve. I've picked it up again and have started several dwarf forts. I keep running out of food, or getting attacked quickly, or just get set up in a shit location. Tonight was the best start I've had. I got a bitchen fort started and the only problem I had was one dumb ass set up the floodgate the wrong way and traped himself behind it. I had to send one miner to dig him out and in the mean time my other miner busted the channel through... they all made it out alive but the "farm rooms" are now flooded and a total loss.

I was trying to explain all that to my wife but she was totally nonplussed. I think I'm hooked...
  • A question for the players: what is the maximum Local Area your computers can support? My comp can handle 6x6 reasonably well, but not much bigger. What about the rest of you?
    We should start near a mountain and a river/stream.
    That's a given, starting away from a mountain is boring, and starting without flowing water is very difficult.
    Agreed. Let's not use the default build though. I'd rather pick one from theWiki.
    I'd suggest Rapid Expansion, I've used it before and it works well.
    I might join in but I'm going to need some time.
    Well, each player has a week to play through their turn, so if you're the 4th player, three weeks will have passed, and that is more than enough time to learn the basics.
  • A question for the players: what is the maximum Local Area your computers can support? My comp can handle 6x6 reasonably well, but not much bigger. What about the rest of you?
    I have no idea what that means -_-
  • Well, each player has a week to play through their turn, so if you're the 4th player, three weeks will have passed, and that is more than enough time to learn the basics.
    So I'm going to mark it once we get started, I've warned my wife. Count me in.
    How fast is your PC?
  • edited January 2008
    How fast is your PC?My processor is a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo. But now I think I realized what that means. Fortress size, right? My computer seems to be able to handle the whole 16x16.

[Edit] I just thought of something. If we truly want an interesting story here, we should put our dwarves in a state where the odds are stacked against them. After all, losing is fun! "The fort is successful" doesn't make for an interesting narrative. It might also be a good idea to create personality and backstory for each of the starting seven. It's just like writing a story or playing an RPG, if the characters are not flawed in some way or the situation isn't unusual then the story isn't interesting.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yes, fortress size is what I meant. And while you may be able to handle 16x16 initially, don't count on that being the case later on when you have dozens of dwarves running about. 6x6 is the default size for a good reason.

And you're right, the surroundings shouldn't be perfectly safe. But the fortress shouldn't be too dangerous, either. Some kind of wild forest is probably the sane middle ground.
  • Hm, not sure if I would be interested. I might join later on.

Scott's kinda right, it is pretty easy to stay alive. However, it seems hard to do very well. I'm a year in, and I still have no metalworking industry. I've had trouble with a Goblin thief (a "snatcher", which was funny) and a crazed dwarf. In fact, just recently I started up a leatherworking and clothing industry.

By the way, Scott, just find a place that's "terrifying" in the description. That should do the trick.
  • edited January 2008
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you (my apologies to the bandwidth-impaired)...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Elathu Adela!

And here is the site I propose for our shared fortress...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Shall we begin?
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • How do you get the high res image of the world to show?
  • I been wanting to start playing this game again...Maybe afgter I'm done with CoD4
    OK, now you can click on it for a hi-res version.
    OK, now you can click on it for a hi-res version.
    Nonono. How did you get that image in the first place?
  • When the world is created, you will be given the option to export the map to a graphic file by pressing p. This will create a large BMP format ASCII graphic of the created world. You can run the compress_bitmaps.bat batch file that comes included with the game (as of 33g) in the main dwarf fortress folder to convert the bitmap files to about 90% smaller .png files.
  • When the world is created, you will be given the option to export the map to a graphic file by pressing p. This will create a large BMP format ASCII graphic of the created world. You can run the compress_bitmaps.bat batch file that comes included with the game (as of 33g) in the main dwarf fortress folder to convert the bitmap files to about 90% smaller .png files.
    Damnit. There is no way to do it afterwards?
  • Damnit. There is no way to do it afterwards?
    There is a way. If you go into Legends, you can output the map from there. But if you are in the middle of a Fortress or Adventure game, you're SOL until you're finished.
  • For now, a teaser. Tomorrow, more.