This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

*hugs Gomidog* You're the girl among geeks!

(will insert pic when completed....ETA 8pmish?)
  • ETA 8pmish?)
    Which translates to how late in GMT?
  • ...I....don't....know...

Um....and hour and 20 mins from you time now.
  • edited March 2008
    Oh, man...
    Those are awesome, Gomidog!
    Maybe I'll join in on that fun. XD
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Um....and hour and 20 mins from you time now.
    Darn, I'll see it tomorrow then when I grab 'tonights' GN episode.
    Maybe I'll join in on that fun. XD
    DO!
  • LOL! This should be ridiculous to see. Maybe they'll start using the moe Rym and Scott for the Anime/Manga/Comic day graphic.

Anyway, wanted to post the designs for all the character for the little comic I'm doing for fun.

Scrymko's gone FRUiTS!!!!
  • edited March 2008
    Mr. MacRoss: My god...why did I ignore this thread for so long? I know now what must be done...

(EDIT: I was on my wife's computer and didn't realize it logged her in automatically...>_<)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I can't draw to save my life.
  • I can't draw to save my life.
    I guarantee I draw worse.

• And what does Fujoshi-muke mean? @_@
    Fujoshi-muke: aimed to a fujoshi audience
    Fujoshi: Colloquial term used by female otaku in Japan to refer to themselves. Translates to "Rotten Woman"
  • edited March 2008
    I can't draw to save my life.
    So why bother posting that here? Just sit back quietly and enjoy.
    Mr. MacRoss: My god...why did I ignore this thread for so long? I know now what must be done...
    Artboy, make with the arts! Pimp your comic, yo!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Translates to "Rotten Woman"
    Whahahaaha! Thanks a lot.

@ Viga, great job. They're also very on model.
    Just sit back quietly and enjoy.
    Okay. All I need is a recliner and some juice. And my towel(s).
  • My art skills are lacking, but here are some character ideas I have lying around:
    Kazuo Ilyanovich Sasaki
    Father: Ilyanos Sergeinovich Sasaki
    Mother: Sachiko Sasaki nee Mamiya

Kazuo grew up in the city of Khabarovsk on the Russian-Chinese border. He is 16 years old and has no siblings. He has a cousin, Yuri, who lives in Petropavlovsk Kamchatskiy from his father's side, and another cousin, Ayako, who lives in Kichijoji (Tokyo, Japan) from his mother's side.

The neighborhood where the Kalinin (Kazuo's great-grandfather on his Russian side was Sergei Dragovich Kalinin) family home stands is an area populated by a high number of Russian military families, notably former Spetznaz.

Growing up, Kazuo learned many things from the old men around the block and the Shaolin monks who lived down the road and across the way. Things such as history, philosophy, inter-personal conflict resolution (with an entrenching tool), harmony (of making an opponent's face one with the earth), self-discipline (do not try to drink the Drunken Master under the table), and spirituality (by reaching out and touching someone with a ballistic knife).

Wagner Faust
    The son of Dr. Johann Faust, born into a post-apocalypse Earth, Wagner follows in his father's footsteps by uncovering the secrets of the Ancients.

Dr. Faust is the head scientist of Project Element-5, an endeavor undertaken by the Fourth Reich to reactivate the Ancient's orbital fortresses and reveal the secrets of their technology. Overseen by Sturmbanfuhrer Mephisto, Faust labors on Margarete-1 to reach the dwelling places amongst the stars.

Wagner has left the borders of the Reich to strike out on his own. He makes his way across the Wastes, continuing his Father's original work unearthing Ancient relics and ruins, staying aloof as much as possible from local conflicts. One of his treasured possessions is a tattered and worn copy of Goethe's Faust, written in the original Ancient and so difficult to decipher. Another is a scoped rifle of Ancient design, the mechanisms carefully maintained and a supply of bullets kept sealed in moisture-proof pouches.

"Mein Gott in Himmel, vas tunsi?!"
  • "Mein Gott in Himmel, vas tunsi?!"
    In German it would be more like: "Mein Gott im Himmel, was tun Sie?!" or better "Oh mein Gott, was tun Sie (da)?!"
    Or you could drop god all together and say "Verdammt noch mal, was machen Sie da?!"
  • edited March 2008

Wagner Faust
    The son of Dr. Johann Faust, born into a post-apocalypse Earth, Wagner follows in his father's footsteps by uncovering the secrets of the Ancients.

Dr. Faust is the head scientist of Project Element-5, an endeavor undertaken by the Fourth Reich to reactivate the Ancient's orbital fortresses and reveal the secrets of their technology. Overseen by Sturmbanfuhrer Mephisto, Faust labors on Margarete-1 to reach the dwelling places amongst the stars.

Wagner has left the borders of the Reich to strike out on his own. He makes his way across the Wastes, continuing his Father's original work unearthing Ancient relics and ruins, staying aloof as much as possible from local conflicts. One of his treasured possessions is a tattered and worn copy of Goethe's Faust, written in the original Ancient and so difficult to decipher. Another is a scoped rifle of Ancient design, the mechanisms carefully maintained and a supply of bullets kept sealed in moisture-proof pouches.

"Mein Gott in Himmel, vas tunsi?!"
    Have you read Goethes books on Faust? It starts with:

"Have, alas! Philosophy, Medicine, Jurisprudence too, And to my cost Theology, With ardent labour, studied through. And here I stand, with all my lore, Poor fool, no wiser than before."
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on

• In German it would be more like: "Mein Gott im Himmel, was tun Sie?!" or better "Oh mein Gott, was tun Sie (da)?!"
    Or you could drop god all together and say "Verdammt noch mal, was machen Sie da?!"
    Ah, thank you for that correction.

Have you read Goethes books on Faust?
    Yes, I have read Goethe's version of Faust. The elder Dr. Faust is modeled on that version.
  • Awesome! I love the two Faust books. ^^
  • edited March 2008

Costume Design! This is a Kelsbok, a one piece garment worn by women in the Southern country of Kelsta. One sleeve, wraps around itself (all one piece) and is traditionally dyed with 2 colors fading from one end of the cloth to the other. May or may not have a pattern stenciled on it, or shining bead designs sewn on. (It is something of a cross between a sari and a kimono.) The everyday Kelsbok comes down to the knees and is worn with linen trousers, ceremonial Kelsbok are much more ornate and reach the ground.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2008
    @Katsu - I love your Faust idea! For the love of god, write a book!
    @Gomi - That's an awesome costume design. The anthropologist part of me really, really digs traditional/indigenous clothing. As for the Scrym moe girls - they're perfect, and most importantly of all, adorable.
    @Viga - Your art style is so cute, and your characters have such personality. Props.

As for my own art, I may as well throw something up here; I've actually been thinking of starting a webcomic for some time now, though I have a lot to do before I have anything to show. This character is Jaladni, Fifth Princess of the House of Mawar. To save her own life, she threw herself at the feet of an invading king, trading dignity for the safety of concubinage. Confined in Castle Sik'ara for five years, she now knows the county of her birth only through the eyes of her attendants and spies. Along with her eunuch servant, Haddaz, Jaladni begins to peel back the many layers of shadow surrounding the imperial court, learning of the terrible sacrifices made by each person standing in sight of the throne.
    I'll post more character designs as I come up with them.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited March 2008
    Oh man... I drew something partly inspired by gomidog's call to draw Scrym as moe girls, and now I'm scared to post it. Not only is it not drawn very well, they would most likely kill me if I posted it. ^^;; And before anyone asks: no, it isn't hentai.

So instead, I'll post a random doodle I did a little while ago in my reminders notebook. Can you tell I'd been reading a bunch of Claymore at the time? XD;;

Post edited by Eryn on
  • @ Uglyfred: WHOA! That clothing detail and the hair. The style! It so wow! I love it!

@Tenchi: *chants* Moe Scrym! Moe Scrym! Moe Scrym!
  • I'll post more character designs as I come up with them.
    *shock* Holy~ That is amazing, too much detail! XD Now I wish it was a higher resolution so it was possible to fawn over all the neat little details, like the little roses on the earrings and necklace.

Question: How long did (does) it take you to draw (something like) that?

And I agree, Emily's costume design is also awesome. It's about the costume, yet the character is also fully detailed!
  • Ugly Fred is maaaaad good at the costume designs. They are always very ornate. I don't have the patience. I am like scribble scribble DONE! and if anything takes too long I'm like "mwarrr."

@Fred: your stuff always reminds me of Arslan, in that it is vaguely middle eastern/asian with very fancy patterns. Kyaaa so awesome!
  • edited March 2008
    Aww, thanks for the compliments, guys. I really love doing clothes and hair, but I've been battling to get proportions right. Everyone's got their strong and weak points, I guess. I only hope more practice will fix it. Until then, I'll keep distracting people with detail work. "Razzle dazzle 'em," right?

Gomi, Arslan is definitely one of my major art influences, along with SeungHee Han's manhwa One Thousand and One Nights. In high school I was also obsessed with Yoshitaka Amano and Japanese wood block prints. So much of the artwork I like is Middle Eastern or Asian-influenced, and when I'm steeped in it that much, I guess it's natural that it becomes evident in my pictures. When I start my comic, I want it to have that same aesthetic, and the fact that it's a fantasy setting is all the more excuse I have to eclectically mish-mash clothing styles as I like. :)
    Question: How long did (does) it take you to draw (something like) that?
    A long time. My best and most polished pencil sketches can take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours, depending on how complex it is and how many characters are in it. I don't remember exactly how long that Jaladni picture took; I wasn't really paying attention to the time because Katsu and I were talking. It was probably around 3 hours.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Looking at this thread reminds me in a sad way that whenever I take a pencil and try to sketch something it ends up as epic fail. ^^"
  • Wanted to post a link to the first comic page of my little 4 panel comic thing. I'm calling it Casual since it seemed like a good name for it. I did the typical 4 panel comic chapter page thing and drew like a pin up and put it next to the first comic.
  • Wanted topost a link to the first comic pageof my little 4 panel comic thing. I'm calling it Casual since it seemed like a good name for it. I did the typical 4 panel comic chapter page thing and drew like a pin up and put it next to the first comic.
    That was awesome.
  • Wanted topost a link to the first comic pageof my little 4 panel comic thing. I'm calling it Casual since it seemed like a good name for it. I did the typical 4 panel comic chapter page thing and drew like a pin up and put it next to the first comic.
    Haha, fun start. "But I didn't get to the Pirate's Bay!"

In universal Century 0069, The brilliant scientist Scottina constructed the ultimate fighting robot Rymbella. An accident during construction left Scottina as a crippled ghost. Now the two must face Dinosaur Empire and the challenges of love between robot girl and wheelchair ghost girl. Their catchphrase is "Nyroooooooguuuuuuuu".