This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• If there's also cake and companion cubes, I am so there!

(Zeehat made me lol).
  • Booo Zeehat! Don't shove your opinion in other's sentences.
    lol, good one.
  • Partly, the more I talk about my characters, the more defined their voices become and the better I feel. Also partly, if I keep ageing this thread, the more newcomers to the forums get to see amusing pictures of Rymi-chan and Suko-chan. This amuses me.
    Nice, but you forgot Rym's tiara. :)
  • @ Mankoon: That moe picture is EPIC. The Rym-tan really does look like Rym, almost creepily so. Awesome work!
    @Harry: Omg.
    @Bear Police: I lost my shit over the Ghostnights. The style is so wonky and perfect. XD; Same goes for the picture below, the creatures are so cutely absurd.
    @Ametto: That is the most content Scott I have ever seen. D'awwww.
    @Katsu: Suzu is soooo cute. Drawing nights totally need to happen more often! Maybe at the next Geekend.

Anyhoo, I have come bearing sketches of comic characters. :3 Here's the main character Jaladni again, in a slightly different costume. I think I have her style down now.

This is Queen Sirig of House Kamur, one of the story's antagonists. As the King's wife, she's a very influential person, and has her fingers into everything in the imperial court. However, she has fallen under the sway of a charlatan astrologer who uses her to push his own agenda. This is the first time I've drawn her - I need to make her older, I think.

A very quick sketch of Haddaz, Jaladni's eunuch attendant and the King's consultant about the indigenous culture. He was formerly a devotee of the goddess Badha Ashavri, and like all eunuchs wears a belt of draped red silk around his waist to indicate his sacrifice to the diety. After the Ashavri cult's temple burned to the ground during the invasion, he entered the service of the conquering nation; how he managed to do this is one of the main secrets of the story.

More to come as I get un-lazy. >_>
  • Haddaz is totally Edgeworth.
  • Haddaz is totally Edgeworth.
    There is definitely an Edgeworth vibe coming from Haddaz.
  • Neutered Edgeworth.

Anyway, nice designs, Fred.
  • Whahaha! I love how the queen has no rings on her ring finger. Great drawings Uglyfred.
  • edited March 2008
    Edgeworth...? Really? I guess it must be a case of being too close to your own art, because I don't really see it. It wasn't intentional. I'll draw him again later and see what happens. >_>
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited March 2008
    Main characters for a Flash series I'm trying to get off the ground.

I need to get a lot better at drawing realistically. :(
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Uglyfred- Once again, awesome. Do you have drawings of your characters interacting with each other or in an environment? I'd love to see some situational drawings, if you have them.
    Behonkiss - Those are cute. Drawing from life would help but it shouldn't make you feel bad about your work now. If you do it in the first place, it's because you like do to it. No need to put the sad face! Your characters are very different from each other. That is something even great artists can be bad at.
  • Here is the next strip of my comic. Since people seemed to enjoy it a lot, I was rather motivated to get it done.
  • edited March 2008
    Very cute comic strip. I'm glad you have the motivation to do more!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Hehe, funny strip. I'm not much of an artist, but I like taking pictures. Would posting pictures to this thread be appropriate?
  • Hehe, funny strip. I'm not much of an artist, but I like taking pictures. Would posting pictures to this thread be appropriate?
    Since this is the concept sketch dump, why don't you start a photo thread? I would surely contribute. :)
  • edited March 2008
    I think I will. Oh, and here's a colorized version of that Nagato Yuki sketch posted earlier. It was such a pain in the ass. First I had to vectorize it, then I had to do each area separately and carefully clean the edges. Then the lines were anti-aliased with white and I had to fix that...
    I think it came out well, though.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I have been a listener for months, but I never was interested in posting in the forums. Well I saw this thread, so I definitely need to post! Concept art and sketches are my favorite things to see from an artist. Great stuff so far and the Scrym artwork are hilarious! Here's my contribution:

These characters are from a story I thought up in college. It is a terrible story, so I will make it short. The boy is the reincarnation of the god of destruction and is prophesied to end the world. He kills himself to not really save the world, but to save the girl who has always been there for him. Yes that's about it. ^_^;
  • edited March 2008

Character from a webcomic my girlfriend and I are working on. Her sketch is on the left and my pen-tool inking and flat colours are on the right, I send the PSD back over to her and she shades it. This picture is mainly for the banner and probably will be used for her character profile, in which you could click her picture and using WordPress tags it'll show all the comics she's ever appeared in. Nifty.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I think I will. Oh, and here's a colorized version of that Nagato Yuki sketch posted earlier. It was such a pain in the ass. First I had to vectorize it, then I had to do each area separately and carefully clean the edges. Then the lines were anti-aliased with white and I had to fix that...
    I think it came out well, though.
    Here is a quick tip if you have photoshop, or I guess a photoshop like program, and want to color line art like mine. Basically you make a duplicate layer of the line art above the background layer and set it to multiply. Then you make layers between that layer and the bottom layer, and anything you color on those layers appears as if the duplicate layer was just the black lines and the rest of it was transparent.
  • The problem, through, was that I couldn't isolate the black in the lines because you saved it with a white background which anti-aliased into the black lines. Thats why when I was colorizing it, I couldn't just fill it in. I had to vectorize it, isolate the lines, then color it. Coloring it took longest because the lines still were looking weird against the color and I had to fix it.
  • [awesome picture]
    That is awesome.
  • The problem, through, was that I couldn't isolate the black in the lines because you saved it with a white background which anti-aliased into the black lines. Thats why when I was colorizing it, I couldn't just fill it in. I had to vectorize it, isolate the lines, then color it. Coloring it took longest because the lines still were looking weird against the color and I had to fix it.
    Sonic, what program are you using to color/ vectorize? If you use photoshop and used Kiey's tips , you actually can skip all of those steps you did in preparation. You wouldn't have to worry about cleaning the white that anti-aliased into the black lines at all.
    How do you ink it? Just scan in a pic and use adjustments to 'ink' it? Or do you redraw it on a separate layer?
    Sonic, what program are you using to color/ vectorize? If you use photoshop and used Kiey's tips , you actually can skip all of those steps you did in preparation. You wouldn't have to worry about cleaning the white that anti-aliased into the black lines at all.
    I use Photoshop 7, but I'm really a luddite at it. I effectively use it as if it were MS Paint with more brushes, more ways to select things, layers, and transparencies. To vectorize it I used VectorMagic.com
    How do you ink it? Just scan in a pic and use adjustments to 'ink' it? Or do you redraw it on a separate layer?
    I didn't draw it, Kiey did. I just colorized it. I lack that sort of talent because all my hand eye coordination has been honed to be best in my fingers and thumbs. I have no skill in drawing anything human looking outside of stick figures. The best I've done were some sketches I did of my friends. I'll upload them eventually.
  • I didn't draw it, Kiey did. I just colorized it. I lack that sort of talent because all my hand eye coordination has been honed to be best in my fingers and thumbs. I have no skill in drawing anything human looking outside of stick figures. The best I've done were some sketches I did of my friends. I'll upload them eventually.
    Ah, okay. That changes things. What I do - and I'm sure others have way better ways - but I throw the original scan on the background layer, use my tablet to 'ink' it with just black and then use 'select all' and 'clear' on the background layer to get rid of the scanning, but keep the white. Then, color as normal!

If not for the unsteadiness of a mouse, I'm sure that following lines, even when it's done by others, can be done...

Character from a webcomic my girlfriend and I are working on. Her sketch is on the left and my pen-tool inking and flat colours are on the right, I send the PSD back over to her and she shades it. This picture is mainly for the banner and probably will be used for her character profile, in which you could click her picture and using WordPress tags it'll show all the comics she's ever appeared in. Nifty.

Finished!
  • Sonic, ktep, and Norvu - those are all wonderful!

I did a hasty color of one of the pencil sketches I posted above. I need to do more research about the colors of Persian and Middle Eastern clothing, but for now it's spring, so I went with pastels.
  • You call that hasty!? That's freaking amazing!
  • Holy shit! That awesome!