This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I don't get how people can make stuff that looks as good as Uglyfred's picture. I think it's my complete lack in artistic ability, which leads me to think this.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Here is thenext strip of my comic.Since people seemed to enjoy it a lot, I was rather motivated to get it done.
    So here it is 2 in the morning when I read this, and I have to get up at 6!
  • This is a great thread! Gathering of the Geeknights-listener artists!

A few recent inking practices:
    image image
  • I leave the forum for a few months and moe Scrym happens. D8 I don't know if I should be shunning or contributing. SO TORN.

Concepts, yay! I hope the images aren't too much. :/

My BFs DnD character. The imp thing is pretty funny - they make a good comedy duo.

Secretly not a concept at all and just a sketch I liked.

Sort of a theoretical snippet from a comic I'm working on - I was just messing with the characters and lighting. I don't mind posting it here despite its spoilery nature since this is a) probably not going to happen and b) really vague anyway so it's not like you guys can tell what's going on. 8D

@Uglyfred: Such intricate costumes and so pretty! I couldn't stay still long enough to design anything that complicated. :P I think Haddaz's Edgeworth vibe is coming from his clothing and big manly square shoulders. Dress him in something else and/or add colour and they'll go away pretty easily...

@John Freeman: I -I'd watch it. :<

@Mankoon: Scarred. For. Life. The hairclips and the upskirting and the eyebrows and omggggg *dies*

@Behonkiss: Striving towards a good grounding in Realism is great but don't feel bad if you don't use a lot of realism yourself. I love cartoons/cartooning, personally. :D Nothing worse than the holier-than-thou "Realism is the one true are why are you wasting your life" people that I'm sure we've all encountered. @_@ I like the posture on that last guy - so snooty. xD

@ktep: Really nice sketches. :D Have you got a site with more of your finished work? And I think we all have the one lame cliche plotline and characters that we keep around for nostalgia's sake (and because we secretly still kind of like it). I know I'm guilty. >_>
  • Mamath: That imp is fantastic.
  • Thanks. :D The imp keeps the warlock from being a potentially very boring and serious character. Can't have one without the other!
  • Here is thenext strip of my comic.Since people seemed to enjoy it a lot, I was rather motivated to get it done.
    So here it is 2 in the morning when I read this, and I have to get up at 6!
    That just makes it all the more timely.
  • This new art in here is REALLY nice. Great going guys.

@Norvu, where is this webcomic?
    @Uglyfred, the colors are so natural and nice to look at ! They make her even more feminine.
    @ Fuurin, great use of black and white.
    @Mamath, Oh man , I am loving your thick paint brush lines. HOT. Also, great concepts. Oh and ... I guess i should redeem myself from the scary Moe Scrym!! I just bought a cintiq... and its $#%#%'n awesome.
  • Whoa, artthread! Quite a bit of nice stuff in here.

This is a base sketch for a watercolor I was planning to finish for Katsucon and never did. It's halfway inked (the bg isn't yet) and not painted. Kind of got preocupied with studying for the LSAT.

• @Norvu, where is this webcomic?
    www.secondcomic.com, it's literally just started (2 pages up so far) though and my girlfriend is taking her exams so she doesn't have too much time to draw. I'm not really going to put out links en mass till we have at least 20 something strips up and then try and do one once a week.
  • GAAAAAAAAH!!! I have no idea what to say X_x. All these awesome drawings, I don't feel like wasting space and time telling you guys constantly that this thread and all this art rocks! Yet I feel I have to say something. GAAAAAAAH! So frustrating.
  • @Mamath, Oh man , I am loving your thick paint brush lines. HOT. Also, great concepts. Oh and ... I guess i should redeem myself from the scary Moe Scrym!! I just bought a cintiq... and its $#%#%'n awesome.
    Ooooh, Cintiq! I'm hoping to win one at a competition in August. @_@ I haven't got a chance though since pretty much every other artist in Australia is also going to try. xD Ooooh well, trusty Graphire3 go!
  • edited April 2008
    @Norvu: Awesome. I hope you'll update us here when you get to do more work on it.
    @Mamath, Oh man , I am loving your thick paint brush lines. HOT. Also, great concepts. Oh and ... I guess i should redeem myself from the scary Moe Scrym!! I just bought a cintiq... and its $#%#%'n awesome.
    Ooooh, Cintiq! I'm hoping to win one at a competition in August. @_@ I haven't got a chance though since pretty much every other artist in Australia is also going to try. xD Ooooh well, trusty Graphire3 go!
    The best thing about the cintiq is that I barely hit undo anymore (when painting). Can you imagine that? It feels great. Trying to get the right line on a screen from a tablet in your hand.... it doesn't always work. I often draw, undo, redraw, undo, redraw, undo... it can go on for 5 minutes (seriously). A lot of the time I just end up going in a different direction entirely with my intended line art. Now, with my cintiq, I feel like the lines I draw are the ones I wanted from the get go, and I get them fast! I am much faster then I was before.
    The only thing I would bitch about is that the cintiq has buggy drivers. I thought it was my hardware but a lot of people have this problem. It almost reminded me of when I invested in Rock Back and I had to return my guitar and my drums because they were faulty (common issue)! It's a pretty expensive piece of hardware and its upsetting when it doesn't work as intended. I'm talking about an annoying jitter.
    Anyway, aside from that, It's made me feel more creative and made me much faster.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Decided to redesign one of the characters for my comic, Linda. You can see the redesign here and the original version at the bottom left of this image here. I think its a good change.
  • I found this while cleaning up my apartment.
    Scrym2

Aaaaaand comments:
    Mankoon, thanks for that review of the Cintiq. I was saving up my money for one. Like the second largest one. : )
    Sonic, your Yuki is very cute.
    Ktep, very nice sketches.
    Norvu, she's very cute.
    UglyFred, soooo pretty.
    Fuurin, fantastic inking.
    Mamath, I've always liked your creatures.
    Nuri, you draw and you're a law student?! I never knew that.
    Whew this is getting long.
  • @Norvu: I have no idea what it's about yet but that comic is looking awesome. :D I'll definitely have another look when you have more pages! I really like the trail of footsteps on the sand on that first (?) page and the sense of scale there.

@Mankoon: I think I've heard those driver complaints before... Maybe by the time I can afford myself a Cintiq all that business will be fixed. :B *optimism* I hate to think what sort of mess you could get yourself into trying to get Vista to cooperate. @_@

@Nuri: That's looking really good! You've probably inked it already but the way her hair is hanging down like that while she's apparently running seems strange?
  • @Mankoon: I think I've heard those driver complaints before... Maybe by the time I can afford myself a Cintiq all that business will be fixed. :B *optimism* I hate to think what sort of mess you could get yourself into trying to get Vista to cooperate. @_@
    LOL! I have vista, it came with my new kick ass PC. I was sooooo pissed off with this jitter problem that I unintalled that "PC tablet pen recognition" that vista uses. It didn't fix the issue. I've just been working around this jitter. I know what triggers it and I know how to stop it. There is a driver lag when you switch between applications. It either makes the cintiq unable to move the cursor for a few moments or causes a jitter, or the events happen one after the other. There is generally also a jitter when you move your cursor towards the corners of the screen. This means you'll get a jitter if your going to the start menu or go to the file toolbar. I learned to stop the jitter by switching to mouse and clicking a few times in Photoshop. Things reset and I can paint again. It might sound really bad but I'm getting used to it and the difference is still amazing. I've meant to call tech support about it but I've been coming home late these past days.

Here's what I did with my cintiq so far

Also,
    @Nuri: I'm happy your posting here! You're podcast was my first podcast! Glad you updated!<3
  • @Norvu: Awesome. I hope you'll update us here when you get to do more work on it.
    @Norvu: I have no idea what it's about yet but that comic is looking awesome. :D I'll definitely have another look when you have more pages! I really like the trail of footsteps on the sand on that first (?) page and the sense of scale there.
    Thanks guys =] I'll be sure to let you know when we get going a bit more. Obviously it's going to be an epic rather than one-page comics like most webcomics are. In the most basic description, it's a Fantasy-esque story with Sci Fi elements set on the new home world of humans called "Second" (hence the name), I've got a LOT of back story and a very fleshed out world with a lot of references and tributes to various things! I even created my own calendar with custom months and days and even a new time system.
  • Pretty nice job there with the test, Mankoon. It definitely has a nice satin feel to it.
  • Wow that is really nice stuff Mankoon! *o* Cintiq... makes me jealous.

@Ametto: Nice sitting down pose, she looks perky! :)
    @Kiey: The hair tied back does look more interesting somehow... maybe it's the side strands, can't beat manga side strands! XD
    @Nuri: Is this Nuri from the Artist alley podcast? I used to listen to your show a while ago, I enjoyed the convention prep shows in particular. ^^ Nice movement going on there and an interesting background!
    @Mamath: I like the use of values in that minicomic!
  • @ametto: not a law student yet...entering in Fall 09, assuming I get accepted. I'm all gainfully employed and whatnot at the moment...but yeah. And I podcast, have a (semi-regular) webcomic, and make jewelry. Did I mention I'm also taking Martial Arts?

@Mamath: I have inked it already, but she's not really running...it's from a weird perspective. Think of it as she's standing on a glass surface that you're looking up through and she's looking down into.

@Mankoon: yes, I finally updated...sorry bout that. Things got really frickin busy after the move. I'm hoping the new setup will motivate me to record some more, and I now know better than to apply any kind of noise filter. Ever. Also...*DevStalk* I'm looking forward to seeing more from your new tablet. Hey, you wouldn't want to happen to send me a review, would ya? I'm putting together a tablet review show. A couple people requested advice on what tablet to get, and all I have is a Graphire3.

@fuurin: That's me!...I'm always surprised when that's the place someone recognizes me from. I'm glad you liked the convention shows...I've gotten more feedback from them than all the other episodes combined!
  • Damn it, Nuri!Making me feel so unaccomplished. The only thing I have over you is that I can eat gluten.
  • Damn it, Nuri!Making me feel so unaccomplished. The only thing I have over you is that I can eat gluten.
    Bread-eating bastard...

And I never said any of them were GOOD, just that I do them. Reserve your judgement! The webcomic doesn't update regularly, the podcast gets out when I can manage...the jewelry is about the only thing I'm keeping up with, and that's only because it's making me MONEY. Although I did recently get paid for cover art...but only because I did is contingent on non-commercial purposes for free, and then she got offered a licensing deal.
  • The only thing I have over you is that I can eat gluten.
    I laughed so hard at that my co-workers are all looking at me.
  • edited April 2008
    Sorry, Nuri, I didn't mean to be offensive.
    I kinda meant my last post to mean that you are very prolific, and that you were great for doing that. I also think that your work is pretty good too.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • I was totally joking about the bastard thing, not offended. I was actually laughing about as hard as Rym when I read it. ^_^ Damn internets, not letting me convey tone...

I also read a story for Escape Pod this week. I wonder how it'll turn out. Yeek.

I've always found that artwork (and created content in general) is perceived differently depending on the audience, so really, who am I to say whether what I produce is good or bad? If people like it, then my opinion doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.
  • There's some really nice stuff here -- I particularly like Gomidog's stuff, and Norvu's is pretty nice too.

Mostly I've been drawing full comic pages lately, but here are a few little sketches and whatnot:

I guess some of it is kinda concept art for the sprawling post-apocalyptic epic that I may some day get around to drawing.
  • @Funfetus: I love your stuff!

I created two of the main characters in order of the stick style:

image image
  • Oh mans! Please make Rym and Scott of the Stick.
  • Oh mans! Please make Rym and Scott of the Stick.
    Why stop there? Try to make as many people as you can! And don't forget yourself! XD Awesome stuff.

@ Funfetus, HOLY CRAP! I looked at you dA, and the stuff that I could see was amazing! I love the "Maybe Nobody will Notice" comic. So double! It took me two reads to get, I hadn't payed enough attention to the last frame. Really neat.