This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Hockey Thread

Comments

• In other news: The Winnipeg Jets are back.
  • a couple
    Ho ho ho ho ho. My tweets and posts will have more fun now! M'whahahaha.
  • I am actually in favor for both of the Flyer trades personally, get rid of a guy who can not score in the playoffs and a captain that couldn't lead to lock in a goalie (that one thing we never had in the most recent years) and knowing the front office a veteran is in the works come draft time with all their picks.
  • Ho ho ho
    /' /|
    / / |_
    / / //|
    /_________/ ////|
    | _ _ | 8o////|
    | /'// )_ | 8///|
    |/ // // ) | 8o///|
    / // // //,| / 8//|
    / // // /// | / 8//|
    / // // ///__|/ 8//|
    /.(_)// /// | 8///|
    (_)' `(_)//| | 8////|___________
    (_) /_\ (_)'| | 8///////////////
    (_) \"/ (_)'|_| 8/////////////
    (_)._.(_) d' Hb 8oooooooopb'
    `(_)' d' H`b
    d' `b`b
    d' H `b
    d' `b `b
    d' `b
    d' `b
  • I am actually in favor for both of the Flyer trades personally, get rid of a guy who can not score in the playoffs and a captain that couldn't lead to lock in a goalie (that one thing we never had in the most recent years) and knowing the front office a veteran is in the works come draft time with all their picks.
    I'm actually very okay with the Carter trade. Gets a good replacement player, a first round draft pick, and another pick in the 3rd. A decent return and it frees up cap space and solves the glut at center. I was actually of the opinion that they should have traded Carter last off-season instead of Gagne.

However, the Richards trade I simply can not understand. I think the return is still acceptable, but why the trade should happen at all is beyond me. Richards is a player that is all heart, who will fight until he can fight no more. He is very much the picture of a Flyers player. He fits the organization like a glove, and the organization has advertised him as such for years. Why trade him? It's not like he's an underachiever. And he does lead, successfully so, considering him taking the team to the finals.
  • The insanity just keeps on rolling in the NHL: Devin Setoguchi, who signed a three year contract extension only the day before, was traded alongside the SJ first round pick yesterday during the draft to Minnesota in exchange for Brent Burns and Minnesota's 2nd rounder.
  • Jaromir Jagr just signed with the Flyers. Wow.
  • Jaromir Jagr just signed with the Flyers. Wow.
    Too old!
  • edited July 2011
    Jaromir Jagr just signed with the Flyers. Wow.
    Too old!
    20 years too late I'd say. Man, I hate Russ Farwell.

Anyway, Jagr could be interesting. Him playing with either Giroux or Briere has potential.

Overall, this offseason has been so far quite the insanity, and it doesn't appear to stop anytime soon. Flyers are supposedly still in the running for Brad Richards, and then there is of course the mystery as to why Stamkos still doesn't have a contract with Tampa. Personally, I just want the Flyers to bring back Gagne.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Rumor: Flyers are gunning for Gagne.
  • Caps got away with a steal against the Avalanche.
  • Who would have thought the Bruines would top the Canucks.
    The Sedins were an Epic FAIL.
    I just hope the Ducks can a least make the playoffs next season.
  • Horrible news out of Russia today: KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslav dies in plane crash. Among the dead is former NHL player Brad McCrimmon.
  • edited September 2011
    Okay, hockey season is starting back-up again (it actually already has in many places in europe), and I have absolutely no clue what to expect from my NHL team, the Flyers. Quite a bizarre situation to be in, so let me get my thoughts out that have been brewing.

Just so many changes in the offseason. The team finally has a genuinely capable goaltender, but two of their big contributors were traded away. I was perfectly fine with the Carter trade. The team had a logjam at center with four players who could arguably first-line centers on most teams in the NHL. Carter netted a high draft pick, a 3rd rounder, and a replacement player in Voracek. But that's where the questions for me begin, because Voracek is more or less a complete unknown to me. He was a first-liner on the Blue Jackets, but then again that's the Blue Jackets. Sorry Columbus, I have sympathy with your team but it stinks. Good luck with Carter though. He will score, but don't expect him to play physically.

Anyway, the bigger surprise was the Mike Richards deal. Traded to LA for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd round pick next year. Simmonds is a decent player, but no replacement for Richards. Schenn on the other hand is seen widely as one of, if not the biggest talent that didn't play in the NHL last year. He might find his way as the 3rd line center this year, and he definitely has talent, and the Flyers were lacking quite a bit in the prospect department. Sean Couturier, who the Flyers drafted with Columbus' pick, will also help there a lot, though I don't think he'll crack the roster this year.

Even more unexpected though was the Jagr signing. Jagr is a future Hall of Famer and simply one of the best players to ever play the game. He is however also 39 years old, and his numbers even in Russia have been declining, though still a point per game contributor there. He will be decent, and for a 1 year deal a low risk with high potential reward.

So what is left from last year? Danny Briere is coming off a season in which he set a personal best for goals, and he is always money in the playoffs. The team lost Leino who was on his right the practically entire year, but it's definitely the case that Briere made Leino, and not the other way around (good luck with that one, Buffalo). Leino can definitely be replaced by either Jagr or Voracek.

There is of course Claude Giroux, who is a remarkable player who is getting better with every year. He already made it into the top 15 players points wise last season, and his line-mate James van Riemsdyk is also looking to finally come into his own. When the trades of Richards and Carter went down, I snarkily remarked to my fellow Flyers fans on a different board that the team will not go deep in the playoffs unless Giroux and JVR set the world on fire, and immediately realized that this isn't as much a reach as you'd think.

I haven't really talked about the D yet. The big question mark is of course newly announced captain Chris Pronger. Injuries marred last season, and he is getting up there in the age. He should be fit for the season from what I'm told, but he is much more important in April than he is in October. Kimmo Timonen is still one the most under-appreciated defensemen in the league, but can anchor the D quite well if Pronger is unavailable, and shut down people like Ovechkin alongside Coburn. Carle and Meszaros should do what they always do and provide offensive support. Lilja's just the 6th guy who could be on a rotating schedule with Bartulis and possibly Matt Walker (ugh).

In goal, Bryzgalov will hopefuly hold up what is promised. Bob should be a decent backup. Bob's got talent, but was just completely overused last year.

TL;DR version: The team is capable, but I still have no clue what exactly to expect because there were just so many changes since the team last hit the ice, and so many unknown variables remain. Rookies improving, new players, Pronger not still being injured, Jagr's age, etc. Winter Classic and HBO 24/7 will be at the very least fun though.
  • Now it's official: Winter Classic on January 2nd, Flyers vs. Rangers at Citizen Bank Park.
    Also, 24/7 is going to be awesome with Torts and Pronger.
  • Now it's official: Winter Classic on January 2nd, Flyers vs. Rangers at Citizen Bank Park.
    Fuck you Philly! You got a taste yesterday. Get ready for more of the same!
  • Fuck you Philly! You got a taste yesterday. Get ready for more of the same!

Eat it Scott.
  • edited September 2011
    Eat it Scott.
    World Series - Mets 2, Phillies 2
    Stanley Cups - Rangers - 4, Flyers - 2
    Super Bowls - Giants 3, Eagles 0

While it may seem like my teams suck at any given moment, we own you all-time.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The only thing we're talking about here, is hockey, and sorry, the Rangers 3 Cups from before the Flyers even existed simply do not count. I find it hilarious though that you bring up the Mets...

... The Mets *wipes away tear*
  • the Rangers 3 Cups from before the Flyers even existed simply do not count
    Oh, sorry. Only original 6 teams are allowed to talk.
  • Oh, sorry. Only original 6 teams are allowed to talk.
  • Oh, sorry. Only original 6 teams are allowed to talk.
    Gee wiz, let's see:
    Flyers all time record vs:
    Boston Bruins: 62W 84L 21T 6OTL
    Chicago Blackhawks: 54W 43L 30T 0OTL
    Detroit Red Wings: 55W 46L 21T 0OTL
    Montreal Canadiens: 63W 74L 30T 4OTL
    New York Rangers: 114W 103L 37T 7OTL
    Toronto Maple Leafs: 84W 50L 22T 2OTL
    -----------------------------
    Original 6 Total: 432W 400L 161T 19OTL

Just because your team is old doesn't mean it's good.

How about a big nice mug of Shut the fuck up?
  • Hey Rym, I thought I heard some buzzing noise coming from below the Messier line. Is there something wrong with my ears?
  • Scott, Austria is above the Messier line. If you don't believe me, go ask Michael Grabner. You should have plenty of opportunity to do so all season long while he punches holes into the net behind Lundqvist.
  • Hey Rym, I thought I heard some buzzing noise coming from below the Messier line. Is there something wrong with my ears?
    Yeah, just the goal siren. Don't mind us.

• edited September 2011
    Yeah, just the goal siren. Don't mind us.
    You mean this one?
    Or this one?
  • Um... Bruins represent?
  • Going to play Fantasy Hockey for the very first time this year. Name of my team: Detroit Metal City.
  • Man, I'm the worst Canadian. Even seeing a bunch of other geeks get excited for hockey can't make me excited for hockey.