This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• I am crying manly tears.
    I fixed for you.
    A good way to quote Gurren Lagann.
  • Looks like I was right:Will Supreme Court have say in presidency? Schedule includes campaign response to questions on Obama birthplace.

The Obama birth case is going before the Supreme Court and not being dismissed.
    What, he wasn't born on US soil? That could be a problem. I don't want this Obama to be declared ineligible, there would be riots.
  • What, he wasn't born on US soil?
    He was, Master John is just a bitter loser/troll.
  • edited November 2008
    Looks like I was right:Will Supreme Court have say in presidency? Schedule includes campaign response to questions on Obama birthplace.

Are you kidding? If you want to make a totally bogus argument like that, don't discount the fact that McCain was born in Panama.
    Post edited by Magic on
  • Looks like I was right:Will Supreme Court have say in presidency? Schedule includes campaign response to questions on Obama birthplace.

Are you kidding? If you want to make a totally bogus argument like that, don't discount the fact that McCain was born in Panama.
    As a point of information, and not necessarily my agreement, the difference of the two arguments is that both McCain's parents were American, while Obama's father was not. People born outside of America to only one American parent, previous to November 1986, are not naturalized citizens.

As a point of information, and not necessarily my agreement, the difference of the two arguments is that both McCain's parents were American, while Obama's father was not. People born outside of America to only one American parent, previous to November 1986, are not naturalized citizens.
    Good thing he was born in Hawaii, after it was added to the union.

Good thing he was born in Hawaii, after it was added to the union.
    Yes it is. To think all he needs to do is show the court his original Hawaiian birth certificate and this all goes away.

As to McCain/Panama, I listed that case in my original post about this subject too.

Also, if it was the bit of Panama that is the Panama Canal, then that was US soil at the time.

I don't think we have to worry much at all about this, however if suddenly the supreme court took away the presidency, I think we might see another civil war....
  • edited November 2008
    Looks like I was right:Will Supreme Court have say in presidency? Schedule includes campaign response to questions on Obama birthplace.

There is no indication in this article that anything is "going before the Supreme Court and not being dismissed". There is no indication in the article that Obaba even has to respond to the substantive allegation. Read the article again. Obama needs to brief the question of whether cert will be granted. That is all.

See, the Supreme Court can decide not to take a case. The case is up now on a Writ of Certiorari. That means that the Petitioner in the case has asked the Court to hear the case. Obama gets to respond and tell the Court why they do not have to hear the case. That's the only thing happening here. It's highly likely that the Court will simply deny cert, meaning that they won't hear the case at all.

If the Court was actually inclined to do something substantive, they would not have been so quick to deny the Petitioner's injunction to stay the election. The denial of the injunction is a pretty clear sign that they're going to deny cert; and, even if they granted cert, this is an indication that they will affirm the lower court's finding that the Petitioner lacks standing to bring the case.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited November 2008
    Calm down dears, It's only a matter of geographical location, I'm really a very good driver (That's why I'm with Omnusure.).
    Even if it turns out Obama is a space alien, he won the overwhelming vote and it would just be something else for the republicans (who seem to be, on the whole, quite terrible sports, I must say.) to grumble about.
    In short: Big deal!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • News article from Newsweek
    The debates unnerved both candidates. When he was preparing for them during the Democratic primaries, Obama was recorded saying, "I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.' So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."
  • This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision. The only way to avoid it would be for the Obama campaign to release all relevant documents (as the McCain camp did when a similar lawsuit was filled) proving that Obama is, and always has been, a natural born citizen of the USA.

It's not just about whether or not he was born in Hawaii or Kenya but there is also something to do with the laws of Indonesia and dual citizenship. If Obama had to denounce his American citizenship to become an Indonesian citizen what sort of citizenship does he get when he comes back? Does he get back his natural born status or does he become a naturalized citizen?

My hope is that this is decided 9-0 in Obama's favor with full documentation to support it. My fear is a split decision or a 9-0 decision that finds Obama does not meet the natural born qualification.

Don't let partisanship cloud your view on this issue.
  • edited November 2008
    This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision.
    I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't. That guy Berg did not have standing to bring the suit. I'm pretty sure that the Supreme Court will not grant cert.
  • This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision.
    I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't. That guy Berg did not have standing to bring the suit. I'm pretty sure that the Supreme Court will not grant cert.
    Then who has standing?
  • I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't. That guy Berg did not have standing to bring the suit. I'm pretty sure that they will not grant cert.
    Yeah, I think this is how it's going to turn out, too. The only thing a SCOTUS ruling would do is force the grumblers to find something else to grumble about.
  • edited November 2008
    This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision.
    Then who has standing?
    I don't care, but I know that Berg doesn't. Therefore, his case is going nowhere.
  • This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision. The only way to avoid it would be for the Obama campaign to release all relevant documents (as the McCain camp did when a similar lawsuit was filled) proving that Obama is, and always has been, a natural born citizen of the USA.

It's not just about whether or not he was born in Hawaii or Kenya but there is also something to do with the laws of Indonesia and dual citizenship. If Obama had to denounce his American citizenship to become an Indonesian citizen what sort of citizenship does he get when he comes back? Does he get back his natural born status or does he become a naturalized citizen?

My hope is that this is decided 9-0 in Obama's favor with full documentation to support it. My fear is a split decision or a 9-0 decision that finds Obama does not meet the natural born qualification.

I don't see how that's even possible. He has a valid birth certificate from Hawaii. He was born on US soil. Ergo, he's a citizen.
  • This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision.
    Then who has standing?
    I don't care, but I know that Berg doesn't. Therefore, his case is going nowhere.
    Let me get this straight. A citizen of the USA is trying to get the government to enforce its own laws and you don't care? A citizen is being told he lacks standing to bring a case to court that involves the law as written in the US Constitution and you don't care?

How can you not care?
  • edited November 2008
    This "natural born" case does need to go before SCOTUS and come out with a unanimous decision. The only way to avoid it would be for the Obama campaign to release all relevant documents (as the McCain camp did when a similar lawsuit was filled) proving that Obama is, and always has been, a natural born citizen of the USA.

I don't see how that's even possible. He has a valid birth certificate from Hawaii. He was born on US soil. Ergo, he's a citizen.
    If only it were that simple. If it is found that he gained Indonesian citizenship and lost his American citizenship in the process what sort of citizenship does he have when he becomes a US citizen later in life? Does he revert to his original "natural born" status or does he become a naturalized citizen?

You don't have to be a natural born citizen to be a Senator (or a governor) but you do to be President.

He has also never released his actual birth certificate which is what feeds the conspiracy.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited November 2008
    Then who has standing?
    Let me get this straight. A citizen of the USA is trying to get the government to enforce its own laws and you don't care? A citizen is being told he lacks standing to bring a case to court that involves the law as written in the US Constitution and you don't care?

How can you not care?
    Okay then, tell us how Berg would be harmed by Obama not being a natural born U.S. citizen.
  • He has also never released his actual birth certificate which is what feeds the conspiracy.
    O RLY?

Oh, wait, right, that's a forged document. Part of a vast conspiracy. There's no signature or embossed seal.

Oh wait, I lied again.
    Then who has standing?

How can you not care?
    Okay then, tell us how Berg would be harmed by Obama not being born in the U.S.
    The entire electorate that voted for Obama is harmed if the man they voted for is found to be ineligible to serve.
  • He has also never released his actual birth certificate which is what feeds the conspiracy.
    WHAT? I'M SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY FACTS!
    O RLY?

Oh, wait, right, that's a forged document. Part of a vast conspiracy. There's no signature or embossed seal.

Oh wait, I lied again.
    That's not the original.
  • edited November 2008
    Then who has standing?

How can you not care?
    Okay then, tell us how Berg would be harmed by Obama not being born in the U.S.
    The entire electorate that voted for Obama is harmed if the man they voted for is found to be ineligible to serve.
    Okay, think about what you just said. The harm you allege (but don't explain) would come if he was found to be ineligible to serve. How would such a finding arise? If the case doesn't go forward, there can be no such finding, and therefore no harm.

Also, you say that the harm would be shared by "the entire electorate". I don't remember opting in to any class action. The suit was brought by Berg. How was Berg harmed?
  • That's not theoriginal.
    This copy serves as prima facie evidence of the fact of birth in any court proceeding.
  • edited November 2008
    He has also never released his actual birth certificate which is what feeds the conspiracy.
    O RLY?

Oh wait, I lied again.
    That's not theoriginal.
    From the fact check website:
    We beg to differ. FactCheck.org staffers have now seen, touched, examined and photographed the original birth certificate. We conclude that it meets all of the requirements from the State Department for proving U.S. citizenship. Claims that the document lacks a raised seal or a signature are false. We have posted high-resolution photographs of the document as "supporting documents" to this article. Our conclusion: Obama was born in the U.S.A. just as he has always said.
    Perhaps you should actually read links people post instead of just making shit up.
    Post edited by Andrew on

• Okay, think about what you just said. The harm you allege (but don't explain) would come if he was found to be ineligible to serve. How would such a finding arise? If the case doesn't go forward, there can be no such finding, and therefore no harm.

Also, you say that the harm would be shared by "the entire electorate". I don't remember opting in to any class action. The suit was brought by Berg. How was Berg harmed?
    I don't think he understands what is required for legal standing. Perhaps an explanation of the requirement of injury in fact would be productive.

• Okay, think about what you just said. The harm you allege (but don't explain) would come if he was found to be ineligible to serve. How would such a finding arise? If the case doesn't go forward, there can be no such finding, and therefore no harm.

Wow... Just wow!

So you have no problem having a President serve who is not qualified under Article 2, Section 1 of the US Constitution?
    No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.
    I take it you have no problem with the government ignoring its own laws?