This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

Comments

• That's super tempting, but I already have a great sub on DVD and the movie was terrible...
  • Whatever that is, I must watch it.
  • It's Sakamoto desu ga.
  • Daikun said:
    More info on it. It will be a continuation of the original series. There will be 12 episodes, split up into two seasons.
  • I would be more confident if it was Gainax deciding to do it, rather than Adult Swim spearheading it. It has some of the original people, so...It's better than nothing, I guess.

FLCL was good and didn't need more. It seems like they want this next season to be about a continuation of the "plot," which was never the point of FLCL. FLCL is a very simple (but dug-in) metaphor. The battle between the space pirates and Medical Mechanica is not supposed to have a logical resolution to it...Like, at all.

But who knows? Could be fun.
  • On the other hand, Adult Swim producing means we're getting an anime with American-quality budget, which is a definite plus.
  • A Turner press release reveals the plot.
    In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth?
    What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota?
    And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

All of these questions and more will be answered in the new season of the series, which is set to premiere in late 2017/early 2018 on Adult Swim.
  • So GAINAX has nothing to do with it?
  • edited March 2016
    Apreche said:

So GAINAX has nothing to do with it?

Correct. This will be done by Production I.G.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Well, that tweet sure gives me a lot of confidence.
  • edited March 2016

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited March 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I disagree about Ace Attorney (also no forum thread for that episode.....?) Sakamoto is the best. Also Kiznaiver seems like standard really good Trigger and JoJo is....JoJo. This is going to be a really good season.
  • It ended up being just like the game. Which would have been OK if it had been different plots. It's the same plots from the first game.

So...
  • Rym said:

It ended up being just like the game. Which would have been OK if it had been different plots. It's the same plots from the first game.

So...

A lot of the issues you guys complained about though I take issue with, for instance, you complained that they said who the murderer was. The game also did that. I have no issue with it being the same plot. The plot is good.
  • That plot is not good when presented in that frantic, shittily animated, barely voice acted, non-interactive fashion if it's a plot I mostly already remembered. The show is so lazy it's sad. I almost wish it had fully embraced that laziness and literally just been like the game.

That show is garbage.

It's also far too little, far too late. Phoenix Wright was hot a long time ago. It was so long ago that I barely remember the specifics. It's a 15 fucking year old game.
  • Phoenix Wright is not that good, but I'll probably watch it. The first game is good enough that super direct adaptation, even mediocre one, earns my weekly 20 minutes.

Kiznaiver I'll keep watching to see where it goes. The first episode didn't really give anything beyond the premise (which was already known) and introduced the characters (but not with any real depth). At least it looks nice and stylish. Curious to see what they actually do with the premise, what will the episodes actually be about.

Also, for other shows of the season. Sakamoto is Sakamoto, I've already read most (all?) of the manga, but again, good enough to experience second time in different medium. Also as I've not seen Gundam Unicorn before, I might as well watch the TV-series version. I also liked the Boku no Hero Academia manga enough to watch the anime of that. Obviously watching Jojo's, again adaptation where I already know the source material (lots of this in this season). And I keep my eyes on Joker Game.
  • edited April 2016

I disagree about Ace Attorney (also no forum thread for that episode.....?)

Right here.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited April 2016
    You guys need to be watching Kiznaiver
    EDIT: embedding a webm isn't working, so here's a link
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • Rym said:

That plot is not good when presented in that frantic, shittily animated, barely voice acted, non-interactive fashion if it's a plot I mostly already remembered. The show is so lazy it's sad. I almost wish it had fully embraced that laziness and literally just been like the game.

That show is garbage.

It's also far too little, far too late. Phoenix Wright was hot a long time ago. It was so long ago that I barely remember the specifics. It's a 15 fucking year old game.

The second episode isn't as frantic. It looks like they are going to break up the cases more. I will agree that the animation isn't great but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen.

Also in that post you say that you "mostly already remembered" and "barely remember the specifics" which seems somewhat at odds to me.
  • Also in that post you say that you "mostly already remembered" and "barely remember the specifics" which seems somewhat at odds to me.

You want to know exactly what I mean?

The same way I remember every word of every Simpsons episode from the first 10 seasons, or every Calvin and Hobbes comic ever printed.

I can't, if asked in a vacuum, recall any particular episode or moment reliably. But show me the first minute of any Simpsons episode from that era and I can practically write the script for the rest of it.

From the preview alone of episode two, I got all the nostalgic memory I need of case number 2. I have no need now to actually watch it re-created in halting low quality. My mind provided it from those seeds alone.
  • Also... That closer... If they highlight the already creepy potential relationship between those two characters moreso than the games did... =(
  • Rym said:

Also in that post you say that you "mostly already remembered" and "barely remember the specifics" which seems somewhat at odds to me.

You want to know exactly what I mean?

The same way I remember every word of every Simpsons episode from the first 10 seasons, or every Calvin and Hobbes comic ever printed.

I can't, if asked in a vacuum, recall any particular episode or moment reliably. But show me the first minute of any Simpsons episode from that era and I can practically write the script for the rest of it.

From the preview alone of episode two, I got all the nostalgic memory I need of case number 2. I have no need now to actually watch it re-created in halting low quality. My mind provided it from those seeds alone.
    OK fair enough. I was actually asking for clarification.
  • I just watched so many new animes on C-Roll.
  • Heh. It was a difficult concept to express, since there does not appear to be a word for it in English. The wells of deep categorical knowledge recalled only when triggered.
  • I probably gotta thank Rym and Scott as without watching the "judging anime by the cover" -panel I wouldn't have checked out the Flying Witch, which ended up being pretty nice.
  • Flying Witch was one of the shows I watched today. Definitely in at least for ep 2.