This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Drugs...well, tacos.

Comments

• Also, it could still be that the pot-smoking has become a larger part of you than you realize. How often do you smoke, if you don't mind my asking?
    You're probably directing this to Dkong1026, but since you quoted me, I'll go ahead and answer. Once every few months, and even then, often only when I've been having trouble sleeping, because I always get a good night's sleep after smoking. At the most, it was once or twice a week, almost always with my girlfriend, hanging out at home, cooking dinner and watching a movie.

For the record, I don't like alcohol. Even getting a little bit buzzed just doesn't feel good to me. Weed is enjoyable, but the novelty has largely worn off.
  • edited November 2008
    How often do you smoke, if you don't mind my asking?
    Couple nights a week. It can vary from 1 to 4 or so, depending on how much homework I get, if I have extra days off school, if I'm working or not, among other things.

During the week, even before I started smoking, I never really went out and hung out with people anyways, so if I smoke during the week I don't see that as a large issue to anyone. If I'm sitting at home watching anime and playing video games, does it matter if I'm high or not while doing so?
    And during the weekend, I've always told my friends (well, specifically, the two friends that don't like the fact that I smoke) that I could put off pot till later if they want to hang out, and I've remained true to this. However, they kinda disregard that and a few times I've called them, I've gotten the response of "shouldn't you be smoking right now?". I was offended...truly offended.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I think that's around my brother's rate. I have no idea if that's a lot or not, but it doesn't really sound it. I've known people who were like 6- 7 times a day smokers. Those are the people for whom pot smoking is a defining characteristic.
  • edited November 2008
    6- 7 times a day
    Holy shit. I have been toying with the idea of smoking daily, but I've kinda decided that my bank account probably wouldn't be able to take it, and I really don't want to get into some nasty rut.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I also think suicide should be legal, partly because you should have the right to kill yourself, and partly because it's really difficult to enforce effectively.
    While agree with you to an extent, one of my best friends suffered from depression and was suicidal a few years ago and I'm sure as hell glad she got help and is still here today. Another friend of mine's father wasn't so lucky and committed suicide when his employer, Delta Airlines, went under. The rest of his family suffered a lot in many ways for the decision he made and is still suffering from it. Making it an official "right" to take your own life only takes away other people's "right" to stop you even if you're not of entirely sound mind, and even still I doubt many people would let the ones they love kill themselves. Assisted suicide, the right to take your life when in a painful or terminal condition, is another matter entirely and one that I support. But when a person is only suffering emotional pain, I can't say that they should or would be allowed to die by anyone that cares about them.
  • Wait, suicide is illegal?

I never knew...probably because:
    it's really difficult to enforce effectively.
  • But when a person is only suffering emotional pain, I can't say that they should or would be allowed to die by anyone that cares about them.
    I think that kinda goes without saying. There are a lot of things that are completely legal that people who care about you should try to stop you from doing.
  • I also think suicide should be legal, partly because you should have the right to kill yourself, and partly because it's really difficult to enforce effectively.
    While agree with you to an extent, one of my best friends suffered from depression and was suicidal a few years ago and I'm sure as hell glad she got help and is still here today. Another friend of mine's father wasn't so lucky and committed suicide when his employer, Delta Airlines, went under. The rest of his family suffered a lot in many ways for the decision he made and is still suffering from it. Making it an official "right" to take your own life only takes away other people's "right" to stop you even if you're not of entirely sound mind, and even still I doubt many people would let the ones they love kill themselves. Assisted suicide, the right to take your life when in a painful or terminal condition, is another matter entirely and one that I support. But when a person is only suffering emotional pain, I can't say that they should or would be allowed to die by anyone that cares about them.
    Well, yes, I would always encourage someone to seek help first. And if it were a friend or family member of mine, I'd go to great lengths to convince them otherwise. But if someone appears to be of sound mind, and has genuinely tried, and still feels that way, I don't know if I can comfortably tell someone else to continue existing in misery simply because their absence would be hard on me.
  • I hate to say it, but my best friends in high school and I started growing apart when they got really into pot. I am athletic, so I really don't want to be smoking ANYTHING, but I have really no problem with the recreational use of marijuana. The only thing was they suddenly became totally lame as well. Imagine you are at a party and everyone except you is being totally drunk and stupid and you can't have a good conversation with them. Now imagine that your felt like that ALL the TIME around your friends. That's how it was. It's like it was all they cared about. They still did the geeky stuff, but the atmosphere is totally different. They lost all ambition, and all they wanted to do was sit in the basement smoking up and playing really lame games of D and D, or playing on the playstation. Meanwhile, who moved to New York City to make animation while they are still stocking shelves?

Smoking Pot and Potheads are two different things. It's like the difference between someone who drinks alcohol and an alcoholic. My aunt's boyfriend is a pothead, and he is LAME. My friend Chris smokes pot from time to time, and he is a cool intellectual.

Scott is just overreacting. There is no gray area for him in regards to rules. He = Square.
  • Smoking Pot and Potheads are two different things.
    This is the fundamental truth that so many people don't understand. Drugs (well, some drugs) are like so many other things -- fine in moderation, bad news if you let them get out of hand. I've personally known a few people who were super anti-marijuana, but played WoW pretty much to the exclusion of everything else.
  • edited November 2008
    WoW is a bad drug man, get them to WPA*, it might save their life. XD

(*WoW Players anonymous.)

*Dodges the incoming flames.*
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • *Dodges the incoming flames.*
    I don't think they're there. Your joke wasn't even so much of a real joke either. This is Serious Business.
  • edited November 2008
    *Dodges the incoming flames.*
    I don't think they're there. Your joke wasn't even so much of a real joke either. This is Serious Business.
    Well, I think people should do as they choose, I done most of the things listed in this thread, especially tacos, but I'm not an addict to any of them. I do guess the joke was a in bad taste, sorry for that. But I'm not editing it out, mostly because it was not a joke against alcohol or drugs but a stab against WoW.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Funnily enough, I meant quite the opposite. There is, in fact, no reason not to group WoW with so many other things like alcohol, gambling and cannabis.
  • Oh, I guess I took the post out of context. DX
  • You're lucky your not my friend. I'd have called the cops on you the very first time I found out.
    Uptight much Scott? As far as I've been told, the only reason that marijuana is illegal is because the government doesn't want to subsidize it. I mean, it kills FAR less than tobacco and alchohol each year, but those are completely legal.
  • You're lucky your not my friend. I'd have called the cops on you the very first time I found out.
    Uptight much Scott? As far as I've been told, the only reason that marijuana is illegal is because the government doesn't want to subsidize it. I mean, it kills FAR less than tobacco and alchohol each year, but those are completely legal.
    There have been, last I knew, no recorded fatalities that could be attributed to the usage of marijuana alone. I've always thought that if you're going to do a drug, you might as well smoke pot.

If anything, it probably stimulates late-night delivery restaurant business.
  • See, I have no problem with making marijuana legal. I just have never smoked it because I don't want gup in my lungs. I don't drink heavily because I don't want icky stuff in my liver or my brain to be hurt. Pot, as a drug, is fairly benign.
    edited November 2008
    See, I have no problem with making marijuana legal. I just have never smoked it because I don't want gup in my lungs. I don't drink heavily because I don't want icky stuff in my liver or my brain to be hurt. Pot, as a drug, is fairly benign.
    You should seriously consider moving to the Netherlands. Legal pot, prostitutes, gay marriage and euthanasia.

Really, nothing screams, "BECAUSE I CAN" as loud as having a prostitute work on your dick when passing the joint back to your new husband while the both of you await the doctor's potion. There's also no quicker way to go to hell according to some people, but I digress.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm also fine with marijuana being legal. That's not the reason I would call the cops on someone. The reason is this.

You have to be familiar with the laws regarding possession. Let's pretend I come over to your house, and you've got some weed in a drawer or something. In some situations, I could be busted for possession. It's not about whether weed should be illegal or not. It's about putting other people's livelihood at risk without their consent. Even if I think a law is totally wrong, it's my decision whether I want to break it or not. It's no different than making everyone in my car put their seat belt on.

You and I both decide that law X is no good. The consequences of breaking law X are severe. You decide the risk is worth it. Good for you. I'm all for civil disobedience. However, I decide the risk is not worth it for myself. I save my civil disobedience for some other law. Don't put me in a situation where I could possible be breaking law X. You've already decided to break that law, which means you've already accepted that you might have to face the music. I will totally sell you out to save my own ass.
  • I'm also fine with marijuana being legal. That's not the reason I would call the cops on someone. The reason is this...
    That's basically my position on weed (which I have in fact smoked). I see it as no different than alcohol, except for the fact that I can get in trouble with the law over it. As such, anyone who keeps it in their possession in my immediate presence or in my home/car without informing me ahead of time is, to use the vernacular, a complete douche.

As for cigarettes, I have even less patience for them and their users, and I generally avoid smokers as much as possible.

I can say, however, that from my experience at RIT, most of the people who smoked weed have not gotten very far in life, while most of the people who drank instead seem to be doing just fine. Biased sample, I know, but that's been my experience.
  • Let's pretend I come over to your house, and you've got some weed in a drawer or something. In some situations, I could be busted for possession
    What circumstances are those?

Also, I don't know how it is in other states, but here in California, the penalty for possession of anything but pretty epic amounts of weed, particularly when it's just in a drawer in your house, is getting a ticket.
  • Well, you can be charged with possession, but I'm (pretty) sure that criminal possession offenses require that you were AWARE of the item in order to possess it. Depends on the law of the state in which you reside. Any trial would generally find that you were unaware of the existence of the item, so you won't be found guilty of possession.

However, charging you with possession is a fantastic way to get you to testify against your friends.

Here's an excerpt from the relevant New York State penal law:

§ 221.05 Unlawful possession of marihuana.
    A person is guilty of unlawful possession of marihuana when he
    knowingly and unlawfully possesses marihuana.
    Unlawful possession of marihuana is a violation punishable only by a
    fine of not more than one hundred dollars. However, where the defendant
    has previously been convicted of an offense defined in this article or
    article 220 of this chapter, committed within the three years
    immediately preceding such violation, it shall be punishable (a) only by
    a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, if the defendant was
    previously convicted of one such offense committed during such period,
    and (b) by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars or a term
    of imprisonment not in excess of fifteen days or both, if the defendant
    was previously convicted of two such offenses committed during such
    period.

I added the emphasis to "knowingly." If someone doesn't have pot in plain view, while you can technically be charged with possession, it's next to impossible to find you guilty of possession if you had no idea the pot was there in the first place.
  • edited November 2008
    Also, I don't know how it is in other states, but here in California, the penalty for possession of anything but pretty epic amounts of weed, particularly when it's just in a drawer in your house, is getting a ticket.
    Same with Ohio. Actually, in Ohio you can have up to 100 grams, which IS an epic amount of weed.
    As far as I've been told, the only reason that marijuana is illegal is because the government doesn't want to subsidize it.
    There's a few things. They don't want to put up competition for the alcohol and cigarette industries (which would probably get destroyed if weed was made legal, don't quote me on it, though). Some people are deathly afraid of weed becoming legal, like the conservative soccer moms, so the government just wants to stay where it is and not change anything. But at this point, I think it's just a matter of time until we see legalization.
    Gateway drug theory? Already been shot down. Right now, I could be getting morphine, acid, or shrooms from my weed supplier. If I was getting it from a gas station or some shit like that, I would have no such access to other drugs.
    Fuels criminals? Oh wait, me paying someone money for a plant one of their friends grew in their basement...totally funding drug lords. Good God.
    Makes you dumb/kills brain cells? Well, in all honesty, I haven't researched this. I HAVE, however, heard several reports on how alcohol kills brain cells.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Oh, also, it looks like Michigan is well on its way to legalizing medical marijuana.
  • Actually, in Ohio you can have up to 100 grams, which IS an epic amount of weed.
    Holy shit. You mean 100 grams before it's a felony?
  • Actually, in Ohio you can have up to 100 grams, which IS an epic amount of weed.
    Holy shit. You mean 100 grams before it's a felony?
    In New York, it takes possession of 8 ounces (~240 grams) before it becomes a class E felony. Possession of 2+ ounces is a class A misdemeanor.
  • As of whenever the question takes effect, it's a $100 fine and confiscation for having pot in MA as long as it's under an ounce.
  • edited November 2008
    Actually, in Ohio you can have up to 100 grams, which IS an epic amount of weed.
    Jesus fucking Christ, that's 2.835 kilos of weed - 935 20 bags from a generous dealer, or 472.5 quarters. Assuming a profit margin of 20 pounds per 20 bag(This, of course, assumes you don't have a grower, but get supplied by a middleman, not uncommon for small time dealers), you're making 18,700 Pounds gross profit, and if you're making less than 18,000 pure profit, then you're either inbred, or from Essex.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2008
    Jesus fucking Christ, that's 2.835 kilos of weed
    Um....I think it's actually 1/10 kilo... Did you misread it at ounces?
    Post edited by Funfetus on