This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• All I mean to say is that no response should not be construed as hostile and that it's counterproductive to do so.
  • Hostile? No. Frustrating as hell? Definitely! Getting no response consistently makes you feel like you are beating your head against the wall for no reason at all. Any bit of feedback at least validates that you are being noticed for your efforts.
  • No response is only worse than negative response when you're laden with anxiety and prone to over-analysis.
    When my time is involved, yes it is worse. Because there's a threshold in which I've committed time to a thing that may or may not happen, and up until I get a response I've got to plan around it. At least having an acknowledgement let's me manage my time appropriately.

And I'm not even relating this to dating. Just general planning.
  • Hostile? No. Frustrating as hell? Definitely! Getting no response consistently makes you feel like you are beating your head against the wall for no reason at all. Any bit of feedback at least validates that you are being noticed for your efforts.
    And constant feedback is not something that young humans, particularly young courting humans, tend to DO. You either have to find somebody as high strung as you are, or accept that sometimes you've got to chill or else you're going to come off as needy and undesirable.
  • Maybe she's super busy and can't get to it, maybe she's disorganized and forgetful and forgot that you texted her, maybe she's a serial texter and yours got buried in a million other texts, maybe her phone died, maybe she's too nice and doesn't want to hurt your feelings, or maybe she's one of those types who thinks if she ignores something it'll go away. Who knows. Just forget about it and continue on with life. Maybe she'll respond out of the blue that she was busy or something and wants to hang out, and you'll be pleasantly surprised and wish you never doubted her.
    Yeah I know, easy to say, but difficult in practice. :-P
  • No response is only worse than negative response when you're laden with anxiety and prone to over-analysis.
    When my time is involved, yes it is worse. Because there's a threshold in which I've committed time to a thing that may or may not happen, and up until I get a response I've got to plan around it. At least having an acknowledgement let's me manage my time appropriately.

And I'm not even relating this to dating. Just general planning.
    But she already got back to him about the date. Am I missing something?
    And constant feedback is not something that young humans, particularly young courting humans, tend to DO. You either have to find somebody as high strung as you are, or accept that sometimes you've got to chill or else you're going to come off as needy and undesirable.
    This just further reminds me how lucky I am that the significant person in my life insists on talking about everything.

• But she already got back to him about the date. Am I missing something?
    I'm talking about the general pragmatics yo.
    This just further reminds me how lucky I am that the significant person in my life insists on talking about everything.
    My wife only talks to me about non-trivial issues begrudgingly because she says she's tired of how right I always am, which she seems to mean un-ironically. :-P
  • edited October 2012
    Hostile? No. Frustrating as hell? Definitely! Getting no response consistently makes you feel like you are beating your head against the wall for no reason at all. Any bit of feedback at least validates that you are being noticed for your efforts.
    My wife only talks to me about non-trivial issues begrudgingly because she says she's tired of how right I always am, which she seems to mean un-ironically. :-P
    I am further reminded of how lucky I am that said person's response to a brewing disagreement is "lets go do the research" and, if that is inconclusive, "well, it's not like we have to agree on everything."
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • My wife is not a geek, so she's not about to do that. :-)
  • My girlfriend is the only person I know who is geekier than me and the only person I interact with on a regular basis that makes me feel like an intellectual inferior. I may be biased, but I am fairly sure she is the greatest human being on the planet.
  • My attempts to date other geeks... did not go well.

Except for the sex, which was phenomenal.
  • edited October 2012
    Geek sex is definitely best sex. I think it helps we treat it like one of our hobbies rather than a competition like everyone else seems to.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Maybe she's super busy and can't get to it, maybe she's disorganized and forgetful and forgot that you texted her, maybe she's a serial texter and yours got buried in a million other texts, maybe her phone died, maybe she's too nice and doesn't want to hurt your feelings, or maybe she's one of those types who thinks if she ignores something it'll go away. Who knows. Just forget about it and continue on with life. Maybe she'll respond out of the blue that she was busy or something and wants to hang out, and you'll be pleasantly surprised and wish you never doubted her.
    True, true. It's been 20-odd hours since I asked what her availability is like during the week; given that it took half a day to hear back originally, I suppose it's possible.

Also, the whole idea that just not responding is an okay way to "not hurt someone's feelings" is bullshit. No response is a million times more hurtful than a polite "no." At the latter validates the fact that you're a human being worth talking to.

The communication skills of the human race are, in general, pretty fucking shitty.
  • Geek sex is definitely best sex. I think it helps we treat it like one of our hobbies rather than a competition like everyone else seems to.
    And some are very obsessed with their hobbies...
    True, true. It's been 20-odd hours since I asked what her availability is like during the week; given that it took half a day to hear back originally, I suppose it's possible.

Also, the whole idea that just not responding is an okay way to "not hurt someone's feelings" is bullshit. No response is a million times more hurtful than a polite "no." At the latter validates the fact that you're a human being worth talking to.

The communication skills of the human race are, in general, pretty fucking shitty.
    It's been less than 24 hours. It's too early for speculative anger.
  • Also, the whole idea that just not responding is an okay way to "not hurt someone's feelings" is bullshit. No response is a million times more hurtful than a polite "no." At the latter validates the fact that you're a human being worth talking to.

Maybe you and the other people here think this way, but maybe she's a ditz and thinks she's being nice? I think a lot of girls are this way and don't realize they are causing more harm than good. Personally if someone is ignoring me, I just think "meh, you're a jerk" and assume they aren't interested.
  • edited October 2012
    It's been less than 20 hours, it's WAY too early to assume or even really begin to suspect that she's sparing your feelings by "ignoring" you.

Quit smoking, switch to tea, and move on to the next cute barista in a week if necessary. ;-)

ALSO: falling in love with your barista is sort of like falling in love with your stripper. Get in line.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Dude, chill out. I knew her through friends before I knew she was a barista. This isn't some weird It's Always Sunny Charlie-and-the-Waitress scenario; her job is incidental.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm chill. It was just an aside. :-)

And even if her barista-tude isn't what brought you in, I have no doubt that she's got some courtship fatigue going on if she's even vaguely cute, due to her job.

I'm rooting for you here. You're going to pace a circular hole in the bottom of your love boat and sink.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    When people don't respond, unless they're drama people, it's usually because they're not thinking about it. Not responding is a default action, not an active decision, for most people.

People txt/email/call me all the time. I very often don't respond.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2012
    Most non-geek types seem to think that a 24 hour silence period between communications during the first-second-third date period is minium and mandatory in order to not seem desperate/clingy/damaged, so there's that to consider. See for reference: every popular media depiction of dating ever.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • When people don't respond, unless they're drama people, it's usually because they're not thinking about it. Not responding is a default action, not an active decision, for most people.

DO NOT USE YOURSELF AS EXAMPLE!!! He drives the rest of us nuts.
  • When people don't respond, unless they're drama people, it's usually because they're not thinking about it. Not responding is a default action, not an active decision, for most people.

Just do what I do when I have friends who don't respond.

One text message every minute until he answers.
  • edited October 2012
    When people don't respond, unless they're drama people, it's usually because they're not thinking about it. Not responding is a default action, not an active decision, for most people.

Just do what I do when I have friends who don't respond.

One text message every minute until he answers.
    I only pay for 200 texts per month for a family of 4. I'm very conservative about my texting. There's Groupme, and there's the fucking phone. I refuse to pay exorbitant rates for what amounts to a 'free' UDP packet on a carrier's network that doesn't even guarantee message delivery.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I know, I'll spam "Hey! Listen!"
  • I'm bad about answering texts too. I get sidetracked, and sometimes I respond 24 hours later. If you are not having trouble and expecting an answer right now Oh My Gosh, I will probably be lazy.
    Rym never picks up his phone. Texting him is your best bet, because at least he will probably look at it and see it if you need to convey information.
  • I really don't think not responding is bullshit. Mostly, cause I've been in situations where saying no doesn't make a guy go away. They either start pestering you or worse freak out and make you feel like shit. Sometimes not responding is just my and a lot of other women's way of protecting themselves.
  • Assuming a guy is a potential psycho because another guy was once is Andrea Dworkin territory.