This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Concerts you plan on going to in the near future

Comments

• J Geils Band at Mohegan Sun on December 31st
    It's going to be awesome.
  • Megadeth on Wednesday.
  • Seeing Vivian Girls December 3rd at Art Basel Miami, and the next day I'm going to the Art Basel art show.
  • Tomorrow I will be seeing:

and

• You are seeing Company of Thieves? AWESOME!
  • You are seeing Company of Thieves? AWESOME!
    They were fucking awesome! Holy shit, I was thoroughly impressed by their set.
  • Got my tickets for The Residents in January, and this is the description for the show:
    THE RESIDENTS' TALKING LIGHT

"What are ghosts" ask The Residents - spirits of those no longer inhabiting the flesh, but unable to leave their lives behind? Or could ghosts be a manifestation of something even less tangible, like loneliness, unfulfilled desire or isolation? In a world where nearly everything has become defined and categorized, how do we fill our obvious, purely human need for the fuzzy , vague and supernatural - with TV commercials?

The ghost of a morbidly obese woman haunts her lesbian lover, filling the void of death with food commercials and Dr. Phil. A man becomes obsessed by the spirit of an executed serial killer who stuffed the mouths of his victims with Pudding Roll Ups, an extinct kid's food from the 1980's. A dead boa constrictor named Leonard (after Leonard Cohen, of course) plagues the mind of its former owner, currently consuming Oscar Meyer hot dogs by the dozen. These are just a few of the "ghost stories" told through the magic of The Residents' Talking Light...

After all, even in death, will you ever forget that COCA COLA ADDS LIFE?
    It doesn't get more Residents-y than that. Even their live shows are high concept.
  • Highly doubt anyone here knows of them, but I'm going to see Man Without Wax and some other local bands tomorrow for a pre-Thanksgiving extravaganza. I'm hoping they play a song or two that they're working on for their second album.
  • Just bought my ticket for Dragonforce, Sabaton and Glamor of the Kill on Monday =D
  • So excited!
  • Going to see Trivium and Whitechapel on Saturday. :)
  • Dude, Melt Banana, awesome.
    Girlfriend is taking me as a Christmas present. <3
  • I am somehow going to see Hikaru Utada next year.
  • Tonight I'm going to the Boxee Beta Unveiling at the Music Hall of Williambsurg in Brooklyn. Not really a concert, but it is in a concer hall.

Oh, and Joco is going to be there on Wednesday, but I don't really need to go see him again for $20+ when I'll see him twice a year at PAX.
  • I'm hoping to go see korpiklaani in New York on the same tour.
  • The Korpiklaani concert was amazing. Bolero was okay (Overheard in the line while waiting to get in: "I'm actually looking forward to Bolero's set. I think that's the first time that sentence has ever been uttered."), White Wizzard was a little... lacking, to say the least. ("Do you like traditional metal!? Do you want to hear some MORE TRADITIONAL METAL!?" fans: "wtflol") Swashbuckle is hilarious live (Fan: "Take your shirt off!" Overweight vocalist/bassist: "SUCK MY NUTS!"), and the crowd was really into them. Tyr is amazing, though I was disappointed when they didn't play my favorite song. Korpiklaani was fucking fantastic. It was totally worth the trip to Toronto. Here's an obligatory mediocre cell phone photo of Korpiklaani.
    I'm hoping to go see korpiklaani in New York on the same tour.
    The New York show is Thursday, right? You'll love it, though it doesn't look like Swashbuckle will be there.
  • Seeing Andrew Jackson Jihad this coming Sunday, The Residents at the end of the month.
  • Andrew Jackson Jihad
    My friend really likes this band. Are they any good?
  • Andrew Jackson Jihad
    My friend really likes this band. Are they any good?
    I'd say so.

• edited January 2010
    Seeing Andrew Jackson Jihad this coming Sunday, The Residents at the end of the month.
    Goddamnit. You get all of the good music.

I am presently quite jealous of Blackbird Raum being a California staple. Chicago doesn't have these awesome bands.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Seeing Andrew Jackson Jihad this coming Sunday, The Residents at the end of the month.
    Goddamnit. You get all of the good music.
    Thing is, every band plays here, but no band wants to play here, expect maybe the bands that are from here.

Now, of course this is a huge overstatement, but it is a regular occurrence to hear a band complain about how pretentious LA is. I can safely say that we are at least better than Austin, which I've been told is home to the world's most DGAF showgoers.
  • Andrew Jackson Jihad was insane. We had to wait an hour and a half in the rain and were lucky to get in. So many people showed that they decided that they were going to do two full shows to accommodate everyone. That's three bands that the people outside waiting in line had to stand in the rain through before they could get in. I can't imagine having to wait so long for a show. Luckily, we were smart and didn't have to.

This video is from the second performance, but you can see what the line outside the venue looked like even with us first batch of people inside. A Jihad show operates in two modes: The first, everyone singing all the lyrics as loud as they can, and second, people going apeshit. I've never seen more people circle pitting and crowd surfing to an acoustic band. This video demonstrates the first mode.

• Jealous, Andrew.
  • That is coming way too close to everywhere for me to see it at for me not to see it.
  • Oh shit, that's coming near me...
  • Totally Nebular for the 3rd time February 6th, stoked.
  • On the topic of Sabrepulse
  • Tonight: Between the Buried and Me with Cynic, Devin Townsend, and Scale the Summit

April 9: Finntroll with Moonsorrow, Swallow the Sun, and Survivors Zero

Finally, ProgPower USA XI is being held in September in Atlanta. I'm thinking of going this year. A two-day pass is $120, but it should be worth it.