This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Long hairstyles for Men

Comments

• I'm just going to assume that everyone saying long hair is bad for practicality issues has shaved their heads...
  • edited July 2008
    I'm just going to assume that everyone saying long hair is bad for practicality issues has shaved their heads...
    Why? Shaving your head is a pain in the ass.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited July 2008
    Men are blessed with the gift [of a patriarchal society] of not having to fuss [except with your ties and your razors] and the ability to be comfortable while looking good [according to the norms of present day fashion]. To give this up shows either an excess of vanity or a lack of intelligence.
    Maku-kun, do whatever you want with your hair. It's your hair. And besides, the only people on the forums who are complaining are the traditionalist old dudes. The young, cute girls say go for it.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Why? Shaving your head is a pain in the ass.
    Shaving your head super smooth with a razor is a pain in the ass. Just taking some clippers on the lowest setting and mowing the lawn every week or two is the lowest maintenance hairstyle possible.
  • Like my aunt Kris. She just takes the horse clippers to her head every so often.
  • edited July 2008
    It's your hair. And besides, the only people on the forums who are complaining are the traditionalist old dudes. The young, cute girls say go for it.
    Yeah, go into a job interview, go to the bank to apply for a loan, or appear in court with your long, shaggy, matted hair. I'll bet you won't see a young, cute girl sitting across the desk from you.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited July 2008
    For every cute girl that likes it, there are many more that don't. Play the odds, my friend. Besides, you want cute girls that have been with clean men.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Yeah, go into a job interview, go to the bank to apply for a loan, or appear in court with your long, shaggy, matted hair.
    He's young! Let him live it up! My sister and I both dyed our hair blue in High School, and you could say the same thing about us. However, we were fine and had fun. Also, LONG HAIR SHOULD NOT BE MATTED.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    Ties have a practical purpose! They make sure your collar is snug enough that icy wind can't blow down your shirt. :P
    Bollocks. And zombies'll grab that flapping tie when you're running away.
    That's why Giles wore his tie with a vest in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited July 2008
    Besides, you want cute girls that have been with clean men.
    See, you guys keep changing what your gripe with long hair is. When did I ever say I liked dirty, scraggly long hair?
    Rym = Clean
    Also:
    Hyde = Clean
    Is Pretty.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Dude, do what you want with your look now. Once adulthood comes....it's over.

Unless you do the wig thing. *puts on her purple hair*
  • edited July 2008
    Hyde Is Pretty.
    They look very arrogant, surly, and mean to me. Not very pretty at all.

Lat me help you. Here is an example of pretty hair:

• They look very arrogant, surly, and mean to me. Not very pretty at all.
    Do you even know who they are? Hyde, as far as I can tell from interviews and what people who know him say, is a pretty decent individual, well spoken and congenial. The band is just looking very serious in that picture. Anyone go to the live at Otakon a few years back? Remember when Ken came out for when people were yelling for an encore in a dolphin mask and started playing the kazoo? Come on, you can't say they don't have a sense of humor.
    Here is an example of pretty hair
    OMG hello 1980's. It's sooooo white bread. He's destined for MBA-hood.
  • Anyway, Joe, remember who you are talking to here. I run with the art school crowd, all the indy film makers and quirky punk haired animators with bottle caps in their earlobes.. Maybe my tastes are a little different than a middle aged lawyer from Kentucky. To each his own.
  • edited July 2008
    Do you even know who they are?
    Well, we're even. If I don't know Hyde, you apparently don't know Frankie Avalon. That photo was probably taken around 1957.
  • Ah. Before my time. I did see him in Grease, but he was quite a bit older.
  • blockquote>Posted By: gomidog I, too, like utilitarian but well-designed things. It balances the practical side and the artist within me quite well. Going into a Muji store, I feel a sense of calm. Products are plain yet appealing, simple, useful, and without all the bells and whistles to make them "fancy." The same thing applies to personal appearance. Don't put on needless effort on crazy make-up, but be nice and clean, for me natural is the way to go. However, if you like how long hair feels and looks (I had short hair last year and long hair this year) go for it. It doesn't require THAT much effort, just keep it clean, brush it, and trim it every so often. Long hair can be fun. Also, hey, Joe, do you ever wear ties with your suits? If so, you everything you already said, zombies and all, is out the window.

"High heels were invented by men to make it so you can't run away!" -Some silly teen movie about soccer and a cross dressing girl .

I differ a bit on aesthetics here with you, Emi. I have to say that I do like and appreciate utility and beauty combined, but I also appreciate "fancier" or more ornate objects, not just the minimalistic/clean lines all in primary colors (or black and white) that a lot of the muji stores offer. I also appreciate design and visual interest for its own sake. I do like creative and complex makeup, hair, clothing, accessories, and objet d'art for its own sake (with little to no functionality at all). I am not saying I want everyone to go through intensive labor all the time (or ever), but I can appreciate it when they do to make something beautiful or interesting. Beauty with and without functionality/practicality, simple/complex, etc. is fine by me. Certainly this is a taste issue, but I felt the need to express my tastes.

Also, on high heels, they have been present since the Egyptians (and possibly before) falling in and out of style for both genders throughout history. I like them for work or times that I am not doing a lot of walking, and I got quite comfortable dancing in them in various recitals and stage shows. They aren't for everyone all the time, but they can be quite lovely and come in some fetching/interesting designs.
  • Ah. Before my time. I did see him in Grease, but he was quite a bit older.
    He was in Grease? Wasn't that a 50's nostalgia movie from the 70's?

Anyway, that hair was good in the 50's. It should stay in the 50's.
  • Do you even know who they are?
    Well, we're even. If I don't know Hyde, you apparently don't know Frankie Avalon. That photo was probably taken around 1957.
    I'm Emi's age and I know Frankie Avalon... I am just a middle-aged woman trapped in a 24 year old's body....
  • falling in and out of style for both genders
    And falling down. Did you ever see those crazy shoes they wore back in the day in Venice? Yikes.
  • Another example of pretty hair:

• jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    falling in and out of style for both genders
    And falling down. Did you ever see those crazy shoes they wore back in the day in Venice? Yikes.
    Most womens' shoes are poorly designed, unappealing, and sold to impress other women.

Random examples:

Kitten heels. All the disadvantages of having narrow heels, without the calf-enhancing effect of high heels.

Peep toes. Because seeing a quarter of your squashed and sweaty toes is sexy. o_O

Platform sandals. Obviously sandals weren't bad enough for your feet to begin with.

Plastic shoes. Seriously. WTF.

30,000 straps. So that you can get that oh-so-sexy basketweave tan... (Also pictured, another classic feature: the fake-metal dye job!)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited July 2008
    falling in and out of style for both genders
    Most womens' shoes are poorly designed, unappealing, and sold to impress other women.
    Random examples:
    Kitten heels. All the disadvantages of having narrow heels, without the calf-enhancing effect of high heels. (Also pictured, another classic feature: the fake-metal dye job!)
    Those shoes are ugly, but kitten heels in general, still create a thin, delicate line that is appealing, without the extra inches of potentially painfully high heels.
    Peep toes. Because seeing a quarter of your squashed and sweaty toes is sexy. o_O
    It actually allows the feet to breathe, and creates a different line to engage the eye. It offers more protection to the toes and has a more professional look than the sandal, yet still evokes a summery feel. Moreover, the style dates back to a time when all high heels could not be made sturdy and fully open toed, so this allowed a "peep" toe that looked younger and more modern (in its day) than the closed toe shoe.
    Platform sandals. Obviously sandals weren't bad enough for your feet to begin with.
    In my opinion, those are just ugly and not stylish at all, but a question of taste is subjective.
    Plastic shoes. Seriously. WTF.
    Plastic is cheap, and as long as they are lined with breathable materials, they can be comfortable. As for looks, it depends on the particular plastic shoe.
    30,000 straps. So that you can get that oh-so-sexy basketweave tan...
    Those are drag queen/hooker shoes. These are just ugly, as for strappy sandals, they can look lovely, harkening back to delicat thong strap sandals of roman/middle eastern origin.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2008
    Since we're talking about shoes, here's more instruction on good fashion and hair sense:

I am so turned on by that girl's bobby sox and penny loafers . . . and that tweed skirt and that scarf . . . oh me, oh my.
  • I am so turned on by that girl's bobby sox and penny loafers . . .
    Joking? Serious? Either way I am disturbed.
  • edited July 2008
    Laverne Andrews is the hotness:

But not as hot as Moonbeam McSwine:

• Laverne Andrews is the hotness
    But she'd have trouble putting on a motorcycle helmet with that hair.
    I am so turned on by that girl's bobby sox and penny loafers . . . and that tweed skirt and that scarf . . . oh me, oh my.
    It's a pity they will slow her up when the zombies come. I will admit, though, that I like the penny loafers and plaid. Very school-girl.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    kitten heels in general, still create a thin, delicate line that is appealing, without the extra inches of potentially painfully high heels.
    It actually allows the feet to breathe, and creates a different line to engage the eye. It offers more protection to the toes and has a more professional look than the sandal, yet still evokes a summery feel.
    as for strappy sandals, they can look lovely, harkening back to delicat thong strap sandals of roman/middle eastern origin.
    Sounds like catalog copy. :)

I strongly suspect that the "thin delicate line" of kitten heels is lost on most men, and that the eye engagement peeptoes evoke is mostly. "Ah, squashed toes. Those shoes look uncomfortable and/or unsanitary."

Or maybe it's just me. :)

That's not to say all women's shoes are bad. Here are a few that I like.

Black suede pumps, high but not crazy heel, round toe... sleek and classic.
    Same deal, in cream leather with a more stable heel. No frills needed, the shoes are there to compliment the legs and feet, not to compete with them.
    Red flats. Simple. Ok, fine, people like getting crazy with their shoes sometimes, so why not something like...
    ...wingtip heels? Crazy shoes, but with sane toes and heel width, no plastic, no faux metal or leopard print or whatever. Hip, but not especially tacky. Cool. :)
    ...or plaid ballet flats?

Women complain about how horrible their shoes are, but a lot of times it seems that they're just doing it to themselves.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Sounds like catalog copy. :)
    I strongly suspect that the "thin delicate line" of kitten heels is lost on most men, and that the ete engagement peeptoes evoke is mostly. "Ah, squashed toes. Those shoes look uncomfortable and/or unsanitary."
    They're not FOR you. Also, I do not dress to appeal to a man's taste (except my husband's occasionally - but that is more in the bedroom than out of it); I dress to appeal to my own tastes, and I think most people on this forum feel the same way.
    Also, back to the original subject, my husband likes my short hair (it is very short in the back, and has bangs and little asymmetrical bits in the front). Neither he, nor I, can grow long hair. Any time my hair gets past my ears it looks scraggledy (yes, scraggledy). Long hair works on some and not on others. I have had some excellent wigs, though (from doing shows and from my first bout with cancer) and I can safely say that I really like the look of shorter hair on women in general and myself in particular, as few people do anything interesting with long hair these days.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    Sounds like catalog copy. :)
    I strongly suspect that the "thin delicate line" of kitten heels is lost on most men, and that the ete engagement peeptoes evoke is mostly. "Ah, squashed toes. Those shoes look uncomfortable and/or unsanitary."
    They're not FOR you.
    I agree. I think they're to impress other women. That isn't the way they're usually positioned, though.
    Also, I do not dress to appeal to a man's taste (except my husband's occasionally - but that is more in the bedroom than out of it); I dress to appeal to my own tastes, and I think most people on this forum feel the same way.
    So then the eye catching appeal of peep toes is that you find yourself looking at your own feet more when wearing them? :)
    Post edited by jcc on