This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• The Librarian will snap the neck of all those who oppose the great Terry Pratchett! But that would be a great idea for a book club, the first Discworld novel, or Good Omens (because it's not part of the Discworld series and I'm reading it as we speak).
  • I'll agree on Good Omens.
  • Damn straight.
  • I'll agree on Good Omens.
    I gotta read that. Is that the one with that Queen radio?
  • edited February 2010
    Oh, and as further evidence that Terry Pratchet is awesome, Neil Gaiman has written an essay titled Terry Pratchett: An Appreciation
    I can't say how it compares to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; perhaps, as Scott said of HHG2G, many of the Discworld books wouldn't be as funny if read over and over, but the Discworld novels have a huge advantage in that regard - there's so damn many of them that it doesn't matter.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The Librarian will snap the neck of all those who oppose the great Terry Pratchett!
    I was joking for christ's sake.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    The Librarian will snap the neck of all those who oppose the great Terry Pratchett!
    I was joking for christ's sake.
    My question for you then, is where did the joke stem from?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • My question for you then, is where did the joke stem from?
    :HEADDESK:
  • could you do one on the dante's inferno cartoon coming out as well as the aliens vs predator game coming out ?

=)
    You misinterpreted my response, I'm asking where did Churba's initial response about Scott hating Discworld come from.
    You misinterpreted my response, I'm asking where did Churba's initial response about Scott hating Discworld come from.
    He was making fun of Scott's propensity to hate pretty much everything.
    edited February 2010
    No, I didn't.
    This. You know this Geofino, you've been part of these forums for more than 2 days, you already fucking know this shit. Also, Neito, you forgot to add Scott's propensity to also tell everyone else that they're wrong.
    Post edited by ... on
    Are you serious?
    Pretty much, yeah. I know Scott doesn't hate everything(for example, I recall that he's mentioned before that he's not read discworld, but it's just a joke, like Hungryjoe being prehistoric, Kilarney's goalposts, etc.
  • like Hungryjoe being prehistoric, Kilarney's goalposts, etc.
    * not mentioned

:
  • like Hungryjoe being prehistoric, Kilarney's goalposts, etc.
    * not mentioned

:<</p>
    Well, it did seem a bit rude to call you a joke.
  • Surely you wouldn't let that stop you, Churba?
  • Surely you wouldn't let that stop you, Churba?
    Not usually, but I couldn't think of anything funnier at the time, so I left it out.
  • edited February 2010
    Book Suggestion: Catch-22.
    If HHG2G wasn't funny, serious escalation is obviously in order.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well, it did seem a bit rude to call you a joke.
    BUT I AM A JOKE! Just look at my username! It's about a penis! PENIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.
  • edited February 2010
    lol
    Post edited by Subway on
  • Book Suggestion: Catch-22.
    If HHG2G wasn't funny, serious escalation is obviously in order.
    Also, you guys need to put some more effort into gathering some statistics for book club episodes - e.g. an initial count of how many people intend to read the book, and then a final count of how many finished / are still reading / gave up / never started.
  • BUT I AM A JOKE! Just look at my username! It's about a penis! PENIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.
    I'll have no truck with the penises you harvest from homeless men and keep in a jar on your desk to throw at pedestrians who pass by your apartment. I will give you credit from stopping them reproducing at least. Any plans to move on to Chavs?
  • Any plans to move on to Chavs?
    I'd have to immigrate to a location which has chavs to do that. Are you really the kind of person to suggest someone should move where chavs go? You cruel bastard.
  • edited February 2010
    I'd have to immigrate to a location which has chavs to do that. Are you really the kind of person to suggest someone should move where chavs go? You cruel bastard.
    Are you kidding? The UK would be glad to export them to a more convenient location for you, as long as it gets them outta here for a while.
    Post edited by Churba on
    edited February 2010
    Are you kidding? The UK would be glad to export them to a more convenient location for you, as long as it gets them outta here for a while.
    That convenient location would become less convenient if they were to do that. Though if the UK is willing to ship them to... say... 15°N 35°W, then I wouldn't even be needed.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited February 2010
    In response to Rym's suggestion that he doubts the "kids" would read The Count of Monte Cristo (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo): That book is recommended for 8th and 9th graders. If people haven't read it (which shocks me as it is so frequently taught in schools and is a common title on pre-college reading lists) and they think it is too long, then "I am disappoint." If this is a time restraint issue, at least read a decent abridgment (part of me just died typing that). The length of the book (which really isn't all that long) is mitigated by its relatively low reading difficulty. It is even available for free as an audio-book on LibriVox in English and in French. While this isn't my favorite book by far, I really think the "it's too long" excuse if just bullshit and I hope that ScRym can hold the listeners up to a higher standard.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My reason for not yet having read it is that I'm Dutch. We no longer are required to read as many books as students did when my mother was in high school, and we're supposed to read more Dutch literature than English-French literature (English is half-French derpherp). We are left to choose which books we do read for the English book reports, and there's many choices. So nyah!
  • How about a book club of the whole Scott Pilgrim series (as soon as the last book comes out)?
    It's a comic, but if you read the whole series it's probably a reasonable amount of reading.
  • It's a comic, but if you read the whole series it's probably a reasonable amount of reading.
    I think a big part of the point of the book club was to encourage people to read actual books. I think almost everyone around here reads comics and/or manga.
  • It's a comic, but if you read the whole series it's probably a reasonable amount of reading.
    I think a big part of the point of the book club was to encourage people to read actual books. I think almost everyone around here reads comics and/or manga.
    Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!