This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• I have real GMing advice that seems to have worked for a few people - but only when they are really new to the hobby. I find teaching people that have already embedded themselves mentally into how to play the game a particular way incredibly difficult to "remodel." Instead, for them, I give similar advice and a different game entirely and hope that they eventually figure out that it wasn't the new game that fixed their group, but their new attitude...
  • There is only one needed GMing advice.

Practice.
  • Let me ask you this: I have only played in 2 or 3, RPGs, and really want to play more. I have the least experience of any of my friends, but I'm the only one who is willing to actually run a game, so I'm taking it into my own hands. Since I have almost no RPG experience in any roll, is there anything really basic I ought to know before starting my campaign?
  • edited August 2012
    ...is there anything really basic I ought to know before starting my campaign?
    Yes, the rules of the game. You probably have some system you are using, so know what the system asks from GM and provide it. Other than that I can't give anything. Everything in GMing is situational and there are very few number of tips and tricks that work with every game on every group.

Oh, and also my golden rule for rpgs, don't be a dick to other players.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Oh, and also my golden rule for rpgs, don't be a dick to other players.
    I won't. I can rely on my players to do that.
  • Oh, and also my golden rule for rpgs, don't be a dick to other players.
    I won't. I can rely on my players to do that.
    That rule should be between all players on the table. Also not that I specified players, players != characters. As a GM being dick to the characters can be quite effective way of building good drama and story, but that's one of the situational advises, not for every GM, not for every game and not for every group.

• Let me ask you this: I have only played in 2 or 3, RPGs, and really want to play more. I have the least experience of any of my friends, but I'm the only one who is willing to actually run a game, so I'm taking it into my own hands. Since I have almost no RPG experience in any roll, is there anything really basic I ought to know before starting my campaign?
    I'll make a thread for it. I have things to say about this.
  • The concept of good and evil.
  • More specifically, perhaps what makes a company good or evil in your eyes.
  • Thursday show idea: Tech pranks!
  • Thursday show idea: Tech pranks!
    That's Monday if it's specific to tech pranks. I think we did do a show on pranks in general... I guess not!
  • You did a show on April Fool's Day jokes a while back, but not pranks as a concept.
  • If there was ever a show I'd want them to invite Luke in for, it's that one.
  • I'm up for a tech-related prank show. You all know I'm a fan of overly-elaborate pranks. ;^)
  • I'm up for a tech-related prank show. You all know I'm a fan of overly-elaborate pranks. ;^)
    That would be fun! Remember NetBus?

Somewhat related: I'm listening to 20060502 - Carcassone, and while talking about the Improv Everywhere Best Buy flash mob, you mentioned doing a show about dealing with the police. I didn't see one in the archives, and I am disappoint.
  • Tuesday show idea based on the tournament episode - "It Ain't Cheating!" suggestions on how to get a competitive edge in any game using trash talk, mind games, bargaining, and other meta techniques.
  • Did you guys ever play Risk Legacy? Did you finish a campaign? Were you guys going to do a show on it?

Having played it, it's an interesting piece and if a particular board game company did something similar on an annual basis (new campaigning game with lots of secret information till you play it for the first time) I'd buy it.
  • We don't have enough reliable people who are willing to commit to playing it yet.
  • Make sure to get five. We played with four consistent players and a floater. Some factors were slightly disappointing without the full five.
  • Changes in web comics? And shift in fandom generally.
  • Did you guys ever play Risk Legacy? Did you finish a campaign? Were you guys going to do a show on it?

Having played it, it's an interesting piece and if a particular board game company did something similar on an annual basis (new campaigning game with lots of secret information till you play it for the first time) I'd buy it.
    I almost got a group going with it, we are going to split the cost and leave it at the local game store. The overall "winner" (by most wins per game or who wins the last game) will then be able to own it after the 13th play.
  • The official constraint is whoever wins the best of 15 games gets to sign the board.
  • The official constraint is whoever wins the best of 15 games gets to sign the board.
    Ah that's it I thought it was 13 off of the top of my head.
  • How not to suck at Writing Utensils. This can include pens, pencils, crayons, and other means of note taking and/or letter writing.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    How not to suck at Writing Utensils. This can include pens, pencils, crayons, and other means of note taking and/or letter writing.
    I think they did it already.

http://www.fridaynightpartyline.com/archives/46
    Post edited by Geo on
  • What about an overview of how to contribute to open source projects?
  • edited September 2012
    How not to suck at Writing Utensils. This can include pens, pencils, crayons, and other means of note taking and/or letter writing.
    I think they did it already.

http://www.fridaynightpartyline.com/archives/46
    I struggle to call that Scrym doing an episode on the topic, considering it's not geeknights, and it's one topic of four, the light open.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I suppose it's a reminder.

So far, I've found 2 episodes of GeekNights where the audio is totally messed up. Being Jaded (Aug 23, 2007), and Google Buzz and Privacy (Feb 15, 2010).

It sounds like the audio is jumping back and forth between two different points in the feed, and likely just needs to be re-uploaded.
  • Noted. When I have a chance, I'll retrieve the archived masters and see if it's a problem there.