This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Things to buy:

1. handgun.
  • Things to buy:

1. handgun.
    Um, why?
  • Things to buy:

1. handgun.
    Um, why?
    Why not?
  • Why not?
    Don't start that.
  • Why not?
    Don't start that.
    Fine. But it's his business as to why he wants to buy a handgun.
  • Fine. But it's his business as to why he wants to buy a handgun.
    It's also pretty reasonable to ask "why?" when he posts it in the "fail of your day" thread with no explanation.
  • edited December 2009
    Yupa,
    Evidently he wants to discuss it, his business or not. Otherwise he would not have posted it to a DISCUSSION BOARD.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • edited December 2009
    I knew a few people who just own a gun to own one. Or to protect themselves. But it only does a bit of good if you can use it. Weapons are useless unless you can wield it well.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • It rained tonight, after being such a loverly day out. I fear the weather will only get worse. I'm bracing for winter.
  • Forgetting my hat and gloves today, it was cold and snowing.
    Forgetting to send my mother her birthday card, again.
    Unable to keep my cat away from the rat cage, daily beatings are not working.
  • It's also pretty reasonable to ask "why?" when he posts it in the "fail of your day" thread with no explanation.
    Well I thought the branch off of the "my ex-roommate was robbed at gun point" would be obvious, clearly not. :P

Also, much to Kate's horror, I like guns. It's a hobby for me.
  • I like guns. It's a hobby for me.
    While I don't think they're useful in most cases for self-defense, I'm considering handgun lessons just for fun after we move.
  • While I don't think they're useful in most cases for self-defense, I'm considering handgun lessons just for fun after we move.
    Shooting handgun at any kind of distance is wicked hard. 22 caliber handguns are around $300-$400 and ammo is cheap. Really good fun those.
    Do want.
    Mosin 91/30
    I actually have a shortened version of that, the Mosin M44.
  • While I don't think they're useful in most cases for self-defense, I'm considering handgun lessons just for fun after we move.
    Actually, me too. I was looking at my uncle's new gun over the holidays, and I realized that my fascination was a lot like my fascination with archery back in the day. My interest is more about precision and control over something dangerous than it is about wanting to do harm or anything.
  • I go skeet and trap shooting several times a year. It's an extremely fun and challenging activity and I hope to purchase an over-under in the future so I can hone my skills.
  • I go skeet and trap shooting several times a year. It's an extremely fun and challenging activity and I hope to purchase an over-under in the future so I can hone my skills.
    You want an automatic for clays.
    Actually, me too. I was looking at my uncle's new gun over the holidays, and I realized that my fascination was a lot like my fascination with archery back in the day. My interest is more about precision and control over something dangerous than it is about wanting to do harm or anything.
    I too like the precision of shooting. I'm also fascinated by the engineering involved with a firearm. That's why guns are a hobby for me, and not just shooting. I like taking them apart and maintaining them.
  • You want an automatic for clays.
    Nothing wrong with a break action, you never need more than two shells anyways. I do skeet more often anyways.
  • Nothing wrong with a break action, you never need more than two shells anyways. I do skeet more often anyways.
    Don't get me wrong here, I love a good break action. But if you ever want to shoot more than 2 clays (like some competiton) then you need an automatic. Also automatics absorb some of the recoil allowing you to shoot longer and have more fun. Lastly, over and unders are silly expensive for no good reason. :(
    That is most of the appeal that firearms hold for me. I get a similar joy out of BB guns, though they're nowhere near as impressive as a full-on rifle.

I also like to marvel at the engineering that goes into firearms. I'm a fan of intricate and well-designed technology. Antique firearms are also beautiful and decorative, and have a lot of history in them.

Just don't go shooting other people without just cause.
  • Ugh.
    Ook!
  • We love you Kate. ^_^
  • Ook!
    Did you get the number of that donkey cart?
  • edited December 2009
    Ugh.
    Dude, we didn't say you had to be interested, just don't be so dismissive.

I used to do archery and practice with martial arts with weapons. Do you think that is bad, too?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited December 2009
    Ugh.
    Dude, we didn't say you had to be interested, just don't be so dismissive.
    I used to do archery and practice with martial arts with weapons. Do you think that is bad, too?
    I'm not being dismissive. I am expressing my distaste. I have several times explained and given my reasoning for stronger gun control.
    If you want to play with guns, that is your currently available right.
    Also equating bow sports with gun sports is a really poor and reckless comparison. How many accidental and purposeful bow deaths are there a year compared with how many caused by guns?

Just a heads up, I will never sleep in a house that has a gun in it, so if you own the guns you utilize, I guess we won't be staying over.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Just a heads up, I will never sleep in a house that has a gun in it, so if you own the guns you utilize, I guess we won't be staying over.
    There's a gun in the Beacon Geekhaus. It's been there as long as we've lived there. A flintlock pistol. The firing mechanism is disabled, and there's a fake flint in it, but it's otherwise a gun. Is that not OK?
  • Just a heads up, I will never sleep in a house that has a gun in it, so if you own the guns you utilize, I guess we won't be staying over.
    There's a gun in the Beacon Geekhaus. It's been there as long as we've lived there. A flintlock pistol. The firing mechanism is disabled, and there's a fake flint in it, but it's otherwise a gun. Is that not OK?
    If it is incapable of firing, then it is a decoration - not an active and usable gun. Don't be ridiculous.
  • @Kate - I will note, if you buy one of those small, dodgey cars, get one that performs decently. Otherwise, to get anywhere or even drive normally, you have to thrash the bejesus out of it, which results in more time and expense in the shop than the car is even remotely worth, especially if you're buying secondhand.
  • If it is incapable of firing, then it is a decoration - not an active and usable gun. Don't be ridiculous.
    I could probably trivially make it capable of firing. Replace the flint, unplug muzzle, replace the spring, and we're good to go.
    Also equating bow sports with gun sports is a really poor and reckless comparison. How many accidental and purposeful bow deaths are there a year compared with how many caused by guns?
    There are countries where there are far more guns per capita than the US, and yet much less gun crime. There are also surprisingly large numbers of knife and crossbow attacks in the UK, where guns are harder to come by. Are hand crossbows OK? Our house has knives, swords, and a blowgun in it already. Why are you OK with a crossbow, which is used in much the same capacity in many parts of the world, but not a gun?

If your concerns are ideological, then there is no difference: they are killing tools just the same.

If your concerns are practical, then your blanket statements ignore the fact that the primary driver of gun attacks in the US appears to be culture-based, not availability-of-guns-based. See the situation in the UK, versus in Finland or Switzerland.