This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited December 2009
    (though I think there is rarely such a thing)
    Then you're either being foolish, or you believe that guns are some fearsome voodoo magic objects that perform actions on their own. Any object is only as safe as the person interacting with it.
    Edit - Sorry Whaleshark, I'll stop now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I keep getting this every time I try to load L4D1.
    l4dfail
  • Damn it, all of my teachers are ILL today :( At least I get to spend all day on the forum or on my chemistry report.
  • I received my pay stub and it showed that two days I was out ill were deducted from my vacation time. This has never happened before, so I asked the person that handles our paychecks. She informed me that this was a new policy. As she does not set policy and seemed vague on the details, I wrote my boss to confirm and clarify. He then forwarded my e-mail back to the payroll person with a question mark. She wrote back to me "You assume I was just making it up?"
    I wrote back, CCing my boss "No, I just wanted it in writing because I never received his e-mail and wanted to save it to my procedure folder."
    She responded (to me alone): "it wasn’t in an email, I believe he told everyone during a staff meeting." (Apparently I was not at that meeting. I checked with others that were and it is their understanding that we could opt to utilize our vacation time if our sick time was gone on an individual basis.)
    I wrote back, CCing my boss again: "Is there any way we could get it in writing for future reference?"
    She wrote back (to me alone): "I am sure keith [our boss] will respond to you."
    I wrote to my boss alone: "Keith, I didn’t mean to cause any issues, I just wanted a clarification on policy. I didn’t realize that would be a problem for anyone. Thank you for your help. -Kate"

Why are people so childish over simple, professional questions?
  • Why are people so childish over simple, professional questions?
    Egos
  • Why are people so childish over simple, professional questions?
    Because professionalism is a distressingly rare thing in the workplace.
  • I sometimes wonder how any work gets done with people like this. If I did my job that badly I simply wouldn't have a job any more.
  • Today would have been Walt Disney's 108th birthday. It's a shame he didn't live longer, I can only imagine how different the field of animation would be now if he did.
  • I can only imagine how different the field of animation would be now if he did.
    There would be more racist and anti-Semitic overtones in the field, that much is certain.
  • There would be more racist and anti-Semitic overtones in the field
    I understand where people would get the racist overtones (I mean seriously, what is up with that black centauress in Fantasia?), but where exactly is the anti-Semitic overtones people bring up?
  • edited December 2009
    I understand where people would get the racist overtones (I mean seriously, what is up with that black centauress in Fantasia?), but where exactly is the anti-Semitic overtones people bring up?
    http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/collection/insidestory/inside_1933d.html

Maybe a little biased, it being a Disney website, but it's a decent summary.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Maybe a little biased, it being a Disney website, but it's a decent summary.
    Yes, but sometimes the harshest critics come from the inside. For instance, Disney fans are definitely the harshest critics when it comes to attractions at the parks. Just look for any Disney fan reactions to the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management.
  • Just look for any Disney fan reactions to the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management.
    So fucking glad they didn't do that to the one at Disneyland.
  • So fucking glad they didn't do that to the one at Disneyland.
    Disney has a great respect for Disneyland as a whole, so they really don't really mess with the attractions that were there first and that makes me very happy. Shame they didn't do that with the Country Bear Jamboree, it was actually better at Disneyland than it is at Walt Disney World due to the fact that there were two theatres.
  • Country Bear Jamboree was one of my dad's favorites. He was very sad when they dissolved Bear Country entirely.
  • Country Bear Jamboree was one of my dad's favorites. He was very sad when they dissolved Bear Country entirely.
    The worst part is that they replaced it with the worst version of the Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh. I wouldn't have cared as much if it was like Pooh's Hunny Hunt with it's trackless ride system and actually good audio-animatronics.
  • Powercut just before Geekchat last nights and my laptop being low on battery. FAIL
  • RymRym
    edited December 2009
    Walt Disney made good movies, but he was, in his personal life, kind of a racist, anti-Semitic asshole. I'm surprised you did not know this, being into animation. It's perfectly acceptable to like Disney's art, and think he was an amazing business person who advanced the art-form, but it's pretty well known that he was very conservative and xenophobic.

Also, did you see that fail of the day Mankoon posted a while back, rejecting a female artist for a job as a Disney animator? It was basically like, "Well, the only place women can work is in the inking and cel paint department. Good luck with that. Don't send us your portfolio." Thank Goodness this world has changed for the better, else yours truly would be in a sad state. [This is Emily posting as Rym.]
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2009
    So, I feel like shite. My girlfriend and I are taking a break for a week. I really like her, and she can sometimes have good insights. On the other hand, she doesn't know what a fractal is. She doesn't go out and pursue new media, so she doesn't have well-formed opinions on the things she watches and reads. Is it cold of me to say that things would be easier if I wasn't chemically attracted to her? (romantically, sexually, and compassionately, not just the second one :p )

I consulted a few bottles of beer, but they have offered no solutions.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I consulted a few bottles of beer, but they have offered no solutions.
    Sounds to me like you need a week of cheap hookers :P
  • @YoshoKatana
    I've never dated, so my opinion might be shite.
    However, you have to analyze what's important to you in a relationship. Personally, I think values, emotions, and similar lifestyles are a bit more important than things like interests or attraction. If she makes you happy, and you feel like you could have a happy life, then I would stick with it. If her difference in interests, opinions, and her more close-mindedness to the entertainment she pursues really puts you off and is something that you can't live with, then it's not right.

It's about priorities. What are they? And if that's the question you're asking yourself, then I say you have to think about what makes you happy, and what long-term goals and desires you have out a relationship, and what qualities a person has to have to fulfill those goals for you.
  • Axel, that's pretty sage advice from someone who's never dated. I applaud you.

The reason why I focus on interests so much is that it's a long-distance relationship. We don't really have common enough interests to sustain a conversation, which I'm just realizing now. It feels like she has a mentality of a college freshman (no offense to those present). I say freshman in that she's still trying to figure out what her interests are and what kinds of people she wants to associate with. The other day she remarked that none of her friends (people she met on her floor in the dorm) discuss meaningful things, like art, philosophy, etc. But she doesn't discuss that stuff we me. She's thinking of joining a fraternity.
  • The other day she remarked that none of her friends (people she met on her floor in the dorm) discuss meaningful things, like art, philosophy, etc. But she doesn't discuss that stuff we me. She's thinking of joining a fraternity.
    That's kind of fucked up. I don't know how to interpret that. And I don't know if she really thinks she's going to find any improvement on those issues with people in a fraternity.
  • edited December 2009
    Women join a sorority, men join a fraternity. That, of course, is unless it's a co-ed fraternity.

/Goes to a southern school

EDIT: Also, cheap hookers solve all problems.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Axel, that's pretty sage advice from someone who's never dated. I applaud you.
    A lot of that is based on what I've been told by mom of why her marriage with my stepdad works vs. why her marriage with my dad didn't. But some of it is based off of common sense as well.
  • She's thinking of joining a fraternity.
    That's kind of fucked up. I don't know how to interpret that. And I don't know if she really thinks she's going to find any improvement on those issues with people in a fraternity.
    Women join a sorority, men join a fraternity.
    meep. I meant sorority. And I meant "she doesn't discuss that stuff [philosophy, et. al] with me."
  • When it comes to the art, philosophy and such conversations why not be the one to initiate it. Well, anyway, if you really don't think this will go anywhere and her lack of openness to different media bothers you why not move on. Do you really want to be in a long distance relationship? Is it worth it?
  • Tired, no want go work today.
  • Walt Disney made good movies, but he was, in his personal life, kind of a racist, anti-Semitic asshole. I'm surprised you did not know this, being into animation. It's perfectly acceptable to like Disney's art, and think he was an amazing business person who advanced the art-form, but it's pretty well known that he was very conservative and xenophobic.
    Actually, he was a shit businessman. Roy did all of the business work, Walt was behind the creative stuff.

Anyway, no matter what anyone says, Walt Disney is still my hero and I still admire him as being one of the most influential figures of the 20th century.
  • Walt Disney made good movies, but he was, in his personal life, kind of a racist, anti-Semitic asshole. I'm surprised you did not know this, being into animation. It's perfectly acceptable to like Disney's art, and think he was an amazing business person who advanced the art-form, but it's pretty well known that he was very conservative and xenophobic.
    Actually, he was a shit businessman. Roy did all of the business work, Walt was behind the creative stuff.

Anyway, no matter what anyone says, Walt Disney is still my hero and I still admire him as being one of the most influential figures of the 20th century.
    "Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil gene". Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and... Freddy Quimby has it. "