This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Actually, no. You know what? This is what I get for procrastinating. I had two weeks to do this, so I brought this on myself. I deserve whatever comes out of this.
    Nah, that's what you get for not finding out the correct due date. Procrastinating, on the other hand, is easy to get away with.
    New Developement: Apparently so many people didn't turn in their essays last night, he's allowing people to turn them in today for half credit.
  • This morning a VA Employee sent out an erroneous blank email to an email group that pretty much covered every VA employee in the nation.

At first it was hilarious laughing at all the idiots that were using the "Reply All" function instead of "Reply to original sender" function, however after the 100th email of people asking what's going on, or asking to be removed from the list made me turn off Outlook.

There were a few responses telling people to stop "Reply All" and that this was obviously an error, don't reply anymore and just move on.
  • I just flunked my 'Foundations of Analysis' final, and by extension the entire class. I couldn't answer a single question. I don't know what to do anymore.
  • This is not so much as a fail of my day as it is just annoyance with the way things at work get done. In an attempt to increase productivity, my company has been applying Lean+ and 10X principles to all the software development teams. For someone who works like do, this has been extremely detrimental. I've only been working here for just under a year, and they started applying these new rules about four months in. Being new, I spent the first couple months taking care of administrative things and learning the system I'm working with before actually doing any coding. In those two months pre-Lean+/10X, I got more things done than I have in the seven months since then. It just takes so long to get anything new that I end up spending many days here wishing that I could be somewhere else so that I could actually be productive. This whole week so far has been like that. Just... annoying.

As a side note, I do not blame this on the management wanting to using Lean+/10X, since for a lot of people it really does help them get things done quicker, but I've always been one of those people who can juggle 10 things at the same time and not have trouble doing them all. It brings me down more than it helps.
  • I just flunked my 'Foundations of Analysis' final, and by extension the entire class. I couldn't answer a single question. I don't know what to do anymore.
    What year are you now? Can you simply take the class over?
    I am in my second year of double-majoring in Math and Physics. I can take it over, but I'm not sure I would do any better. I might have to back off to Discrete Mathematics, but that sets me back at least a year on my math degree.
  • @Asnabel= Have you considered Summer school? I applied for grant funding, did a research project with my advisor, and got a minor by doing it one year.
  • @Asnabel= Have you considered Summer school? I applied for grant funding, did a research project with my advisor, and got a minor by doing it one year.
    They're currently encouraging that heavily... but, what would I research? Who would be my advisor?
    I am in my second year of double-majoring in Math and Physics.
    I double-majored in Math and Physics. I know what it can be like. Keep working. Take an English or History course every now and then to get an easy "A".
  • I double-majored in Math and Physics. I know what it can be like. Keep working. Take an English or History course every now and then to get an easy "A".
    Umm... English and History are the classes I have done historically worst in. Math and Physics is or perhaps was where I did well.
  • I have a configuration error that I can't for the life of me find. :(
  • I double-majored in Math and Physics. I know what it can be like. Keep working. Take an English or History course every now and then to get an easy "A".
    Umm... English and History are the classes I have done historically worst in. Math and Physics is or perhaps was where I did well.
    If you ever have to take a course in either, I would be willing to help you out.
    So, you have a bad history with History?
  • Oh, Joe... you slay me.
  • If you ever have to take a course in either, I would be willing to help you out.
    Oh! Thank you.
    So, you have a bad history with History?
    That's not funny.
  • I have a configuration error in my life.
  • Went into work on the wrong shift. I got up early for nothing!
  • Haven't had a day off in 12 days, got to bed at 2am after the company's x-mas party (the food was great), got up for work at 4:40am today.
  • I have a configuration error in my life.
    I recommend consulting an expert. I talked with a coworker who knew more about these files than me and he found it in under 5 minutes. ~_^
  • America Spends 4.5 Million Per Predator drone. They're heavily armed, have a highly advanced sensor suite, and are essentially tiny, quiet death from the skies. The one problem? They didn't Encrypt their downlink, thus making it not only possible, but almost trivial to piggyback the feed using software that you can get for about 26 bucks.

Genius work, US Army. Genius work.
  • edited December 2009
    High tech government kill bots built by the lowest bidder!

Some people in western NY protested the use of Predator drones. They say it makes war into a video game.

Article
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Some people in western NY protested the use of Predator drones. They say it makes war into a video game.
    Infinity ward, We'd like to have a word with you...
  • Some people in western NY protested the use of Predator drones. They say it makes war into a video game.
    Tell that to the trained pilots flying those things. >_>
  • They should protest the use of formalised types of fighting unit making war like a board game.
  • They should protest the use of formalised types of fighting unit making war like a board game.
    Now that is funny! ^_^
  • edited December 2009
    Some people in western NY protested the use of Predator drones. They say it makes war into a video game.
    Dude, isn't it better to send in precise robots piloted at a distance? We can't lose as many human lives this way. Also, every kill is recorded, so there will no longer be the scenario of soldier gets surprised and shoots some little kid who runs around a corner. When people, like fighter pilots, are removed at a distance there is not as much of the feeling of war, but at the same time, not as much fear and paranoia. Those feelings lead to soldiers doing cruel things to local people, just because they are cracking because of their environment. I've heard stories of Vietnam. Plus, there are still humans in there. They damn well should feel the weight of what they do, just as much as a pilot does when he launches a missile.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited December 2009
    Wait..
    makes war into a video game
    makes war, a horrific humanitarian catastrophe, into a video game, an enjoyable past-time.
    ..what?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • makes war, a horrific humanitarian catastrophe,into a video game, an enjoyable past-time.
    ..what?
    Um, there would still be human loses on the other side of the conflict. What is so enjoyable about that?
  • edited December 2009
    As in, using remote-control drones further dehumanizes the enemy, and may make it easier for a soldier to commit atrocities, since he doesn't have to be there to do it personally. It's a concern of how the psychology of warfare will evolve.

In other words, if all wars were fought with robots, we could more easily justify war and we might have wars more often. Thus, we don't want to use robots to fight wars, because it simply continues the dehumanizing aspects of war.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on