This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• How do I convert Woman to Kelvin?
    Surgery.
    The measurment on the woman temperature scale is given in units of leggings. It's ten leggings out today.
  • edited December 2009
    My utilities bill for the period of November 3rd - December 3rd is a full $30 more than the previous bill. The reason? Poorly insulated windows. Time to fix that.
    Rope caulk, plastic sheeting (shrink wrap style or actual sheeting), window film, and insulating curtains should help that issue.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My utilities bill for the period of November 3rd - December 3rd is a full $30 more than the previous bill. The reason? Poorly insulated windows. Time to fix that.
    Rope caulk, plastic sheeting (shrink wrap style or actual sheeting), window film, and insulating curtains should help that issue.
    Yeah, that was my plan. Every other place I've lived around here has had heat included, so I've never actually had to deal with the shock of seeing a utility bill over $100 for a month.
  • so I've never actually had to deal with the shock of seeing a utility bill over $100 for a month.
    GeekHaus in Beacon ranged from $200-$570/2 months depending on the weather and how often we were home.
  • so I've never actually had to deal with the shock of seeing a utility bill over $100 for a month.
    GeekHaus in Beacon ranged from $200-$570/2 months depending on the weather and how often we were home.
    OK, I don't feel so bad now. Granted, I'm also only taking care of 650-ish square feet of space and my thermostat was set to 62 when it was even on.
  • OK, I don't feel so bad now. Granted, I'm also only taking care of 650-ish square feet of space and my thermostat was set to 62 when it was even on.
    It's the gas heat, fossil fuel heat is expensive any way you slice it. Heat pumps (when it's warm enough for them to work) are where it's at.
  • Source control server is borked due to a power outage earlier today. This makes code development rather hard. <_<
  • edited December 2009
    Critics of Councilman Cecil Bothwell cite N.C. bar to atheists.
    North Carolina's constitution is clear: politicians who deny the existence of God are barred from holding office.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Critics of Councilman Cecil Bothwell cite N.C. bar to atheists.
    Holy fucking shit, that is so unconstitutional it hurts.
  • Whoa, that's crazy. He sounds like a smart guy, though. If it went to federal court, North Carolina will have to change it's constitution.
  • It's the gas heat, fossil fuel heat is expensive any way you slice it.
    Gas is still a hell of a lot cheaper than electric. Wood pellets are actually pretty damn cheap and efficient, depending on where you live. Fuck oil.

One of the houses Emily and I considered actually had a functional coal boiler for its steam heat. As far as we could tell, it was vintage Nazi Germany, and was in fact manufactured in Germany.
  • As far as we could tell, it was vintage Nazi Germany, and was in fact manufactured in Germany.
    Oh, so that's why Scott moved out. Makes sense.
  • My gas heat bill in NC went from $30 in the summer (with around $75/80 electric) to $160/200 in the winter (with $30 electric). Granted, my apt had leaky doors and windows and the apt was drafty. But still, eesh. I freaked out the first winter. It may be more efficient, but they charge you out the ass for it, so it's not always cheaper.
    Critics of Councilman Cecil Bothwell cite N.C. bar to atheists.
    Holy fucking shit, that is so unconstitutional it hurts.
    And people wonder why I left. NC is not so bad if you stay out of politics and aren't concerned with your elected officials. If you are...well, they have many archaic laws, and it
    s easier to ignore them than it is to change them. Until some crazy guy tries to enforce them, like this.
  • All this talk of heating bills makes me very glad I live where I live. Though it is not terribly fair, in my apartment building everyone pays the same amount for all utilities minus electric. Not sure if this is true for most apartments, I've only lived in two, and the first one had utilities included in the rent cost. Either way, what I like about my heating is that it's all steam. For sure, if I had to pay for it on my own (like if the heating was electric), I'd never use it, but since I pay the same as everyone else, might as well. Aside from all that, the monthly utility bill has only gone up about $20 from the summer months.
  • edited December 2009
    The only thing about steam is the occasional radiator explosion. @_@
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited December 2009
    I need to have a very serious word with whoever though up associating the word "Birthday" with the word "Happy".
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Heating? AC? What are you people talking about? Isn't a fan enough to cool you down and closing the windows enough to keep you warm?
  • edited December 2009
    Heating? AC? What are you people talking about? Isn't a fan enough to cool you down and closing the windows enough to keep you warm?
    Goddamn foreigners living in your tropical paradises. I bet you sit on the beach and sip fruity cocktails all summer. What kind of life is that?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Heating? AC? What are you people talking about? Isn't a fan enough to cool you down and closing the windows enough to keep you warm?
    Goddamn foreigners living in your tropical paradises. I bet you sit on the beach and sip fruity cocktails all summer. What kind of life is that?
    The good kind.
  • The servers are still broken, meaning I'm not doing anything today.
  • Amazon says that one of my packages delivered on Tuesday, which is a gift for my brother, but it isn't here. I'm hoping someone didn't stole it. If it WAS stolen, can I tell Amazon and get a refund of some form?
  • Gas is still a hell of a lot cheaper than electric. Wood pellets are actually pretty damn cheap and efficient, depending on where you live. Fuck oil.
    To add more meat to Rym's statement, gather round children, it's storytime with Geofino.We've got a "hot" story for you today.
  • One of my dad's close friends had a heart attack while working with him, and died on their drive to the hospital...He was a really great guy, always nice to me and my brother. He wasn't even that old, in his 40's or 50's...I can't imagine that he's dead...
    I don't know how my dad is gonna be affected by this. This might be the final straw for his psyche right now...
  • One of my dad's close friends had a heart attack while working with him, and died on their drive to the hospital...He was a really great guy, always nice to me and my brother. He wasn't even that old, in his 40's or 50's...I can't imagine that he's dead...
    I don't know how my dad is gonna be affected by this. This might be the final straw for his psyche right now...
    I know exactly how you feel and where you are coming from as the same thing happened to one of my best friend's dads two years ago. For the longest time, I refused to believe he was dead as I had never gone through the loss of a loved one before. As a side, my friend didn't cry because he is known to be very brave and hardy at times such as the one I related. A few months later though, everything clicked and the realization just came to me, and I broke down crying inconsolably. Everyone deals with death differently I suppose.
    I know exactly how you feel and where you are coming from as the same thing happened to one of my best friend's dads two years ago. For the longest time, I refused to believe he was dead as I had never gone through the loss of a loved one before. As a side, my friend didn't cry because he is known to be very brave and hardy at times such as the one I related. A few months later though, everything clicked and the realization just came to me, and I broke down crying inconsolably. Everyone deals with death differently I suppose.
    It really hurts, because my grandmother on my dad's side died a year and a half ago, in May of '08. He's still reeling from that, still dealing with it really, we all are...And he was there, it all happened right in front of him, on the first night of Chanukah (my dad's Jewish). I guess he thought we were all going to get together for the first night of Chanukah like usual, but now...Yeah.
    It really hurts, because my grandmother on my dad's side died a year and a half ago, in May of '08. He's still reeling from that, still dealing with it really, we all are...And he was there, it all happened right in front of him, on the first night of Chanukah (my dad's Jewish). I guess he thought we were all going to get together for the first night of Chanukah like usual, but now...Yeah.
    My advice to you is this, and this is very important, DON'T hold it in. It'll only eat you up from the inside out. Just let all you feelings out, because you will feel so much better if you do.
  • edited December 2009
    One of my dad's close friends had a heart attack while working with him, and died on their drive to the hospital...He was a really great guy, always nice to me and my brother. He wasn't even that old, in his 40's or 50's...I can't imagine that he's dead...
    My advice to you is this, and this is very important, DON'T hold it in. It'll only eat you up from the inside out. Just let all you feelings out, because you will feel so much better if you do.
    It's hard for me, but I know what you mean. I just have trouble letting my feelings out. I try, but they all don't come out. I haven't cried about this man's death, and I don't feel like I'm stopping myself from crying. It's strange. But I feel that I should, because he was a good guy, who called me intelligent when I was very young and said I was fun to talk to, made me feel good as a young kid who adults could talk to on a slightly more equal level than they did with other kids. He was a great, artistic man who I should feel remorse over the death of, but despite feeling bad, I can't really cry or express it in any way other than just not being happy.

It's just bizarre, I guess. Can't change the way I react to death. I didn't cry over my grandma's death half as much as the rest of my family did, and always felt bad for it...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • SF author requests to know what's going on when border patrol starts acting funny, ends up getting the shit kicked out of him, having felony charges pressed on a charge that is likely false, and thrown across the border to Canada without even his winter coat.

Oh, they also tried to force him to waive his Miranda Rights. Twice.
  • SF author requests to know what's going on when border patrol starts acting funny, ends up getting the shit kicked out of him, having felony charges pressed on a charge that is likely false, and thrown across the border to Canada without even his winter coat.

Oh, they also tried to force him to waive his Miranda Rights. Twice.
    Shouldn't have been flapping his head.

I read about this earlier -- pretty fucked up. I donated a few bucks.
  • Normally, I enjoy rocking out to some cheesy Neil Diamond songs, but this is just too lame.