This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• A minor fail of the day: So my roommates did something stupid again...apparently one of them got 26 dollars worth of food from a lasagna house and I had to pick up the food. The delivery person didn't get a name or phone number, but it was the right address, so I had to knock on their bedrooms to get a response. Nothing from one room, and the other room shouting at me, not ordering food and angry that I woke him up at 4:45 PM.

If this food isn't my other roommate, it's still irritating he would order food while not at home or just about to pass out...
  • Actual fail of my day - I just got an e-mail from a friend about a "Great new business idea" involving property that he's been trying for a few months, and is going reasonably well, that he got from this $3000 dollar course he did a few months ago. He Wants me to join on.

The Only problem? It's pretty much illegal, and if not illegal, it's very fucking shady, since he doesn't have the applicable qualifications or licences - It's essentially flipping property by renting houses, and then pretending to be the landlord by then renting the house out to someone else, at an increased rate. The Next step is apparently selling a house that you rent after you've rented it to someone else for a few years, if that person wants to buy, and then using the money from the sale to buy the house from the landlord at a lower rate.

My reaction :
  • So, basically, subletting. Subletting is legal, as long as you are upfront about it.
    The other stuff, I don't know. Seems shady in any case. Why do you have to pretend to be a landlord? Why can't you just sublet like normal people?
  • I do't think it's proper subletting, since I'm reasonably sure you have to do a bit of paperwork and such for that, and often it's part of the contract as to if it is allowed with the property, unless you're actually living there yourself, I'm reasonably sure that is shaky legal territory. I don't know all the details, but I should investigate.

One assumes it is at least mostly legal, on reflection, since they are openly advertising it and selling courses in it.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, New York protects subletting. It is illegal in NYC to say people can't sublet an apartment. However, there are a ton of restrictions and laws that go along with that that you have to follow.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Today my boss called and hinted at the fact that I'm probably not going to be hired back to coach next year. He didn't have any legitimate criticism of the work I've done, instead citing my "low level of enthusiasm for coaching"(LOL) as the source of his disappointment, while fully admitting that I accomplish everything that is asked of me without question or complaint, something that you really can't honestly say about the majority of the other coaches I work with, and that I am excellent in dealing with kids and parents, especially in difficult situations.

This would all be bad enough if I didn't know the real reason he was trying to let me go was to bring in a younger kid which, politically, would be a beneficial move for him because of the kid's dad's influence on the Board. He also straight-up lied to me by saying that he wasn't promising positions to anyone this early on, when I know my coworkers have already been rehired. He says I can "apply" for the job for next year in November and know by January if I will have it, which makes the whole thing even more laughable because not once in the five years I've worked at this foundation have there ever been applications and I'm pretty damn sure that no one else getting hired is having to fill one out.

To make it all hurt even more, my boss is same guy who taught me how to sail when I was younger. I've known him on a personal level for 8 years. He's someone I have admired so much in my life and it's the most terrible thing ever to hear that he doesn't want me to return to this job that I adore.

Today was the first time I've cried in a very long time.
  • That sucks dude, isn't there another place you can coach ?(I know it's not an optimal solution but still)
  • Yeah there is, and I'm almost certain that I would get the job trivially because of my foundation's reputation, but I don't want a job anywhere else. Maybe I'm just saying that because I'm still in the moment, but I can't imagine not working there. The program I run is the same program that I grew up in when I was learning how to sail. It's so familiar and friendly.

We'll see how it unfolds.
  • Confront him about it, just get him to be honest, then, if you want, guilt trip his balls off, seinen manga style.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm not so sure about that - The Hoth base and part of the Imperial fleet scanned each other at a MASSIVE distance away, before Vader was told the ships had dropped out of hyperspace - Not only are they picking them up while they're travelling at several Million C, but they're picking them up at that speed from many Light-hours away.
    An interesting phenomenon associated with hyperspace travel was Cronau radiation. This was a short, but powerful burst of radiation which was generated when a ship entered and left hyperspace. It could be detected by properly aligned sensors from a few light-seconds away, often well outside normal sensor radius. This was how the Rebel base on Hoth was able to prepare for the oncoming attack when Admiral Ozzel mistakenly took the Executor and its battle fleet out of hyperspace too close to the system, rather than approaching stealthily from outside the system.
    So they were only detected after coming out of hyperspace. Nonetheless, if we accept that it's towards the outer edge of a planetary system, we're indeed talking about a distance of a few light hours. Here's a quote from the actual movie, to ground the source properly:
    General Veers: My lord, the fleet has moved out of lightspeed. Com-Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment.
    This is a little weird, on the whole, since the type of sensor invoked involves communications, yet they're using it to detect an energy shield. That they detected the energy field soon after dropping out of hyperspace seems to imply that a distance of greater than a few light-hours was covered in less than that many hours, but that would need further elaboration before it could be considered strong evidence.

Furthermore, the hyperspace article suggests the Empire can't use their sensors at all while in hyperspace.
    It's important to establish the nature of the Empire's sensors here, I think.
    Also, According to the Star Trek Technical manual series, their scanners use subspace technology, whereas the Star Wars Universe had discovered Subspace scanning technology 25,000 years before The Empire's existence, and are generally not used, being considered ancient technology.
    The word "subspace" is arbitrary; it need not mean the same thing in both universes. In the Star Wars universe there seems to be subspace and hyperspace communications, but I'm unsure about the sensing technology.
    Further, the empire's combat craft tend to carry and use sophisticated jamming equipment, And as stated in the TM, The enterprise uses both EM and subspace sensors to track targets, however, if the EM sensors are not functioning, they are unable to lock onto targets - the subspace sensors are not accurate enough.
    You likely need EM sensors for a phaser lock, but subspace sensors should be sufficient for firing photon torpedos.
    Lastly - though not relevant in the type of stand up fight I'm speaking of - considering the sensor range of a few light years of the Enterprise's sensors, Wouldn't the Empire's ships be able to simply Outrace the sensor packets of the Enterprise? According to the TM, subspace communication and sensor transmissions travel at Warp 9.9997, which is slower than a Star Destroyer in hyperspace, at average cruising speed.
    That seems to be true. However, Star Wars sensors are completely useless while in hyperspace, so while they can use it to escape, it doesn't seem so viable for giving chase. Additionally, short-ranged hyperspace jumps don't seem to be done, strangely.

As for Empire vs Federation, I think it's pretty certain the Empire would win. They should have an advantage in numbers and firepower, and even if they have disadvantages in fleet battles, targeting the Federation's planets should quickly drive the Federation to a surrender. Technology like planetary shields would stop the Federation from using similar tactics against the Empire, however.

On the other hand, you could argue that the Enterprise and the Federation would win their respective battles by virtue of being good guys.

(As you can see, I'm kinda bored at the moment)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Furthermore, the hyperspace article suggests the Empire can't use their sensors at all while in hyperspace.
    It's important to establish the nature of the Empire's sensors here, I think.
    That's true - Let me get back to you on this in a little bit.
    This is a little weird, on the whole, since the type of sensor invoked involves communications, yet they're using it to detect an energy shield. That they detected the energy field soon after dropping out of hyperspace seems to imply that a distance of greater than a few light-hours was covered in less than that many hours, but that would need further elaboration before it could be considered strong evidence.
    Even weirder - the shield wasn't up at that time, by the rough order of dialogue, which would mean that they were detecting maybe the power source? I'm going from memory at this second.
    That seems to be true. However, Star Wars sensors are completely useless while in hyperspace, so while they can use it to escape, it doesn't seem so viable for giving chase. Additionally, short-ranged hyperspace jumps don't seem to be done, strangely.
    Hard to say, it seems to vary from ship to ship. I've certainly read materiel that indicates that the ship being addressed at the time can, and others which indicate not. The Rouge and Wraith squadron series in the EU show various types of capital ships making very precise short-range jumps, including at least one jump that only went across a solar system.
    As for Empire vs Federation, I think it's pretty certain the Empire would win. They should have an advantage in numbers and firepower, and even if they have disadvantages in fleet battles, targeting the Federation's planets should quickly drive the Federation to a surrender. Technology like planetary shields would stop the Federation from using similar tactics against the Empire, however.
    That would be a serious Nerd-fest figuring that one out - Because a Star Destroyer is one thing, but you also have to account for things like Interdictor cruisers, which can produce a mass shadow that replicates a planet, to pull ships out of hyperspace, both for ambushes, and for very precise fleet tactics - Plot a course through hyperspace right over the top of the interdictor, then when you need to pull in the new ships, send the signal, fire up the mass shadow generators, and then pull your own battlegroup out of hyperspace on a dime.
    Combat sensors, not really that useful - by the time you detect anything, even at maximum range, you'd be way past it, considering the speeds involved. However, They do have Navigational sensors, so that they don't Plow into planets or other such things - Though, they mostly concern themselves with detecting the "Mass Shadows" of Planets and other objects while in hyperspace, so that you don't just plow the fuck into them at relativistic speeds.
    You likely need EM sensors for a phaser lock, but subspace sensors should be sufficient for firing photon torpedos.
    They seem to be, but that might be because Photon torpedos tend to have their own sensor and guidance suites. I'm not entirely sure.
  • As to the Federation vs Empire: Empire hands down. The Federation has a very small fleet compared to the Empire and the Empire given over to war as it is would easily overpower the federation.

The Enterprise is usually one of the flagships of the Federation Fleet. And IIRC the Federation only made 6 Galaxy class starships, (I forget how many Universe Class ships were made but it was something like 4 or 5) and if we're having such a discussion over just one Galaxy/Universe vs one Star Destroyer then the Star Trek Universe is pretty much screwed.
  • edited September 2010
    As to the Federation vs Empire: Empire hands down. The Federation has a very small fleet compared to the Empire and the Empire given over to war as it is would easily overpower the federation.

The Enterprise is usually one of the flagships of the Federation Fleet. And IIRC the Federation only made 6 Galaxy class starships, (I forget how many Universe Class ships were made but it was something like 4 or 5) and if we're having such a discussion over just one Galaxy/Universe vs one Star Destroyer then the Star Trek Universe is pretty much screwed.
    Well, It's a matter of two things, above all -
    The Empire has a Lower limit of the amount of systems it holds of at least one million systems, whereas the Federation only hold about 150, and rather than ruling over them with an iron fist, as the empire tends to do, they prefer letting each planet/civilisation govern itself, as more of a Mutually beneficial Partnership, than actually directly govern each system.

The Federation is a Beacon of Peace, Hope and strength in it's galaxy, with muscle to be contenders with most other alliances, but preferring to take a diplomatic solution. They value life in all forms, and the majority of their research is of a peaceful nature.

The Empire is an Authoritarian Military Dictatorship, Whose attitude towards human life is best written as "I don' Give a FUCK, son!", and any non-human life was considered to be pretty much barely life at all, apart from a few exceptional examples of various species - for Example, Grand Admiral Thrawn. The vast majority of their research and development goes towards new, creative, and wonderful ways of ensuring they ruin your entire day. By making you die, screaming.

Also - I will note, though with the same reason that it's less exciting for an audience, the Enterprise in particular, but the Federation at large hardly-if-ever actually use the Torpedo sniper tactic, and instead close to Phaser range and open up with both Torpedos and Phasers. I will be charitable and rather ignore that if you're not a main character, it's not hugely likely that your ship will ever deviate from a single plane and on a straight line, since that's just a case of "Everybody but the main characters are incompetent" which is hardly unusual. Take, for example, the battle of Wolf-349 - They had a borg cube heading towards them at warp on sensors. They knew it's course, Why not Lay out Cloaked, self-replicating mines - yes, they do have those - using a cloaked ship or two, and let them slam right into the suckers? Nope, they did their usual "Wall of ships" tactic, started a slugging match with a superior enemy, and got their shit wrecked.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I just spilled macaroni all over my lap at work. ;-; I don't think anybody noticed though. Now I have gooey pants...
  • Now I have gooey pants...
  • Now I have gooey pants...
    And by now they have turned from gooey to crusty. Hah.
  • And by now they have turned from gooey to crusty. Hah.
    Ewww...crusty pants!
    pic
    You haven't seen them yet. :P

We need to make one of those pics with Starbuck! He is always making that face! :D
  • Lovebugs! Everywhere!
  • Today I discovered that some low-end power supplies are sold without pci-e connectors.
  • The ventilation in my lab is bad and one of our researchers just farted up a goddamn stench typhoon and then left.

Uuuuuugh.
  • edited September 2010
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Chicken Ice Cream.
  • But those Wendy's chicken nuggets are so tasty! That is literally the only processed chicken I eat these days, and only once every 2 months at that.
  • @Fetus: Source? I want to send some peeps that article.
  • OMG. I also enjoy Wendy's chicken nuggets. Jeremy enjoys eating fast food chicken nuggets and chicken sandwiches. I should show him this to "make his day".
  • edited September 2010
    @WindupBird -- edited to include source. I guess I coulda just linked to the article, but I really wanted the impact of that picture. It's not much of an article, really.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited September 2010
    1. The ingredients for McDonald's chicken nuggets (and many other fast food chains) do not include "mechanically separated chicken." That is a very specific ingredient which must be declared on a label if it exceeds a certain percentage, the same as any other ingredient.

2. No, the entire chicken is not ground up. Mechanically separated chicken is made from meat reclaimed from a chicken carcass post-processing. Typically, it involves griding it and pressing it through a sieve, though high-pressure hoses are often used to blast meat from the carcass. The whole chicken is not fed into a grinder, because that's incredibly fucking dangerous and wasteful.

3. All raw food is crawling with bacteria. Your free-range chicken probably has Salmonella because chickens are carriers for it. I know of no study to date that demonstrates a significant difference in the levels of bacteria between "natural" chicken and heavily processed chicken. It's my job to know these things.

4. How much ammonia? Is ammonia bad for you? What does it do for the meat?

5. It doesn't taste gross. It's a bit bland, but not "gross."

6. All processed food looks fucking horrifying. No amount of natural processing will ever make sausage look pretty.

Food Inc is a travesty.

I'm not directing that at you in particular; I'm more yelling at the sky here.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That's cool. I haven't eaten any chicken in 9 years anyway. I just thought it looked absolutely horrifying.