This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Regardless, the bill won't go through. Too many people (including me) have 7+ year old cars. Is it defined as "Older than seven years" or "Made before 2003"?
  • Roboto doesn't live in the US.
  • Regardless, the bill won't go through. Too many people (including me) have 7+ year old cars. Is it defined as "Older than seven years" or "Made before 2003"?
    My car wouldn't be legal under these laws.
  • Defined as "Made before 2003" that is about 30% of the cars in my country, what is the government going to do with the other 70%? you can't just dump them somewhere.

The other problem is you are limiting the freedom to move around only to those who have the money to purchase new cars, it means a lot of people having to make a big investment in new vehicles for small businesses etc.
  • Isn't that why we have inspection laws in the US? What's the advantage of getting rid of old cars over making sure they're in safe condition?
  • Isn't that why we have inspection laws in the US? What's the advantage of getting rid of old cars over making sure they're in safe condition?
    I believe that the logic of the gov't is not that these cars are unsafe, but that the safety equipment (seatbelts, airbags, etc) are inferior to today's technology. Also, modern emissions technology has advanced considerably.
  • edited September 2010
    Isn't that why we have inspection laws in the US? What's the advantage of getting rid of old cars over making sure they're in safe condition?
    We have a yearly compulsory check that you need to pass in order to pay for your circulation taxes and have the permit to drive your car for one more year.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I am unsure about how true it is, however, I was told by an ex of mine circa 2001(She is Japanese so I took her as an authority on such issues) that in Japan you don't see many older cars at all. This is apparently because they have this weird registration scheme where after so many years the registration fee skyrockets into the hundreds/thousands of dollars range.

This would be an interesting system but I am unsure how well it would translate to America, or elsewhere for that matter.
    I believe that the logic of the gov't is not that these cars are unsafe, but that the safety equipment (seatbelts, airbags, etc) are inferior to today's technology. Also, modern emissions technology has advanced considerably.
    I'm pretty sure my car has lower emissions and makes more MPG than a hummer, yet they are not banning those.
  • This is apparently because they have this weird registration scheme where after so many years the registration fee skyrockets into the hundreds/thousands of dollars range.
    I heard it was because the inspections are retardedly strict. Like if your engine is leaking oil, even only slightly, it must be fixed before you can pass. If you're leaky oil from an engine main seal, you often have to rebuild the engine to fix it.
  • Ah-ha! I found it! Motorvehicle Inspections In Japan Interesting things there. I also read elsewhere that most cars there don't make it past 66k miles before being recycled or shipped to other countries.
  • There's a big market in the US for JDM powertrains.
  • Has someone verified this? I'd have thought somewhere like Engadget would have picked up on this.
  • Goodbye sweet Xmarks. :'(

Looks like I will have to use Firefox Sync now.
  • I figured out just now that not only do I know who would most likely win in a stand up fight between The enterprise and A star destroyer, I know exactly how and why. Goddamnit, brain, why do you katamari up stupid shit like this.
  • I figured out just now that not only do I know who would most likely win in a stand up fight between The enterprise and A star destroyer, I know exactly how and why. Goddamnit, brain, why do you katamari up stupid shit like this.
    I'll bite, which and why? Also, which version(edition?) of The Enterprise?
  • It's gotta be the enterprise because it has shields that protect the entire ship as well as powerful ship-to-ship weapons. Star Destroyers are more like aircraft carriers than warships, their primary weapon is their fighter squadrons. Given the slow speeds of Star Wars universe battles, I think the advanced targeting scanners of the enterprise would make short work of those ships, leaving the star destroyer relatively defenseless.

Also, DAMN YOU CHURBA!
  • That was actually the opposite of my reasoning. The star destroyers carry much heavier weaponry (They're a mix of carrier and battlecraft.) and once the enterprises shields go down, there's no way they could deal with all the bombers.
  • edited September 2010
    The Enterprise has larger range and moves much, much faster than anything in the Star Wars universe.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2010
    I'll bite, which and why? Also, which version(edition?) of The Enterprise?
    Stand up fight between either the Enterprise D or the Enterprise E, and either an Imperial I or Imperial II class Star destroyer.

In a Stand up fight (As in, They slug it out till there is a winner, or everybody is dead), the Star Destroyer is going to win, in most scenarios. The Enterprise's best case scenario is mutual destruction.

The Enterprise-E is a vessel made for Primarily Exploration, Scientific, and diplomatic missions, but able to Defend itself. According to the Memory Alpha Wiki, It's 685 Meters long, Is armed with sixteen Phaser arrays, and ten torpedo tubes. It's shields are shown to be modular(The shield is a single thing, but is able to have it's power and focus shifted to different areas around the ship), and It also carries roughly two shuttlecraft, and the Captain's Yacht, all lightly armed. It's unknown how many of the crew could be considered to be soldiers, or combat ready, but if the canon is anything to go by, relatively few are on board.

By comparison, an Imperial I class star destroyer, is built from the ground up as a warship. It is, according to Wookiepedia, 1600 Meters long, Has 135 Heavy Weapons emplacements(Some of which are dual, triple, or quad emplacements - those emplacements contain 215 heavy weapons between them), 10 powerful tractor beams, Heavy modular shielding(Each layer of shielding is separate, and the power is able to be shifted to various areas), heavy armour, 124 smaller combat ships ranging from Fighters to Assault Gunboats and an Assault shuttle, along with it's compliment of repair and recovery ships. Lastly, it also carries 9,700 troops, and various arms and equipment for them, including landing barges, a pre-fab garrison, and heavy vehicles.

It's simply a case of a bigger, more heavily armed warship, with more disposable man-power(And much more willingness to use them disposable), and more backup ships, and that it's a warship with a Crew of soldiers and other combat personnel, who are trained for combat, against a Science and exploration ship with a crew that's not trained specifically for combat. I mean, worse comes to worse, it's more than twice the size, and multiple times the mass - they can just run into the enterprise and smash it to pieces - Sir Issac Newton retains his crown as the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.

The Scenario where the enterprise takes a Mutual loss is where the enterprise decides - it being a good day to die, and all - that it will Ram the destroyer at the best speed it can manage, and aiming specifically for the large reactor in the deepest guts of the star destroyer, with the aim of breaching it. If they manage that, it's all over red rover, for both teams.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I thought star destroyers were armed with turbo lasers? One photon torpedo is said to have the destructive power to destroy a city with ease. The only thing that makes star destroyers fearsome in the Star Wars universe is their size and compliment of 72 TIE fighters. Were the two to meet I think the battle would go much like the first human counter-attack in the movie Independence Day.
  • edited September 2010
    Came to class today expecting a multiple choice test, got a short answer test. That was the least prepared I've ever been for a test ever, so hopefully, I pull a C.
    Post edited by Ruffas on

• It's simply a case of a bigger, more heavily armed warship, with more disposable man-power(And much more willingness to use them disposable), and more backup ships, and that it's a warship with a Crew of soldiers and other combat personnel, who are trained for combat, against a Science and exploration ship with a crew that's not trained specifically for combat. I mean, worse comes to worse, it's more than twice the size, and multiple times the mass - they can just run into the enterprise and smash it to pieces - Sir Issac Newton retains his crown as the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.
    I'd argue that given the destructive potential of a single photon torpedo, that the energy exchanged in a battle in the Star Trek universe is orders of magnitude greater than anything in the Star Wars universe (short of the Death Star that is). Hell just looking at the engines, the Enterprise is capable travelling easily 1,000 times the speed of light where as a Star Destroyer can't even touch the Millenium Falcon which can only travel at 1.5 times the speed of light. The Enterprise-E was also in service during the Dominion War, so it was most likely retro fitted for battle and Starfleet, while primarily a force of peace in the 2360's-70's is still a military force given the tense relations they once had with the Klingons and Romulans. Put simply, don't think anything the the Star Destroyer has will be powerful enough to penetrate or even weaken the shields of the Enterprise. The Enterprise will simply ignore the flys the Empire calls fighters and easily blast a hole through the Star Destroyer with it's technologically superior weaponry.
  • The Enterprise has photon torpedoes, better shields and a teleporter. The entire Empire with a crap load of Storm Troopers couldn't manage to kill a princess, a smuggler, a 7 foot walking sofa, or a kid with bad hair cut. I don't see the Empire winning this fight.

Now, The Ranger from Babylon 5 V. The Enterprise. That would be a fight.
  • Of course, all of this Star Wars VS Star Trek conversation is moot as Star Wars is in the past and Star Trek is in the future. I doubt that either universe has access to a time machine.
  • I doubt that either universe has access to a time machine.
    LOL You've never watched Star Trek, have you?
  • I doubt that either universe has access to a time machine.
    LOL You've never watched Star Trek, have you?
    Not really.
  • edited September 2010
    I thought star destroyers were armed with turbo lasers? One photon torpedo is said to have the destructive power to destroy a city with ease. The only thing that makes star destroyers fearsome in the Star Wars universe is their size and compliment of 72 TIE fighters. Were the two to meet I think the battle would go much like the first human counter-attack in the movie Independence Day.
    Nope - They have a variety of weapons, ranging from Apparently massive Dual heavy turbo-laser turrets, through quad heavy turbo-lasers, Dual heavy Ion Cannons, with the smallest weapons being Dual Turbo-laser towers, of which is has sixty, and are optimised for use against capital ships, and the slightly smaller Ion cannons, of which it has sixty, which are again, made for capital ship combat.

As for fighters, In addition to the Wing of TIES(of various sorts), you also have combat shuttles, heavily armed troop transports, Assault gunboats of two sorts(one rather more heavily armed than the other), at least one Assault shuttle, and a number of heavily armed assault landing craft.
    The Enterprise has larger range and moves much, much faster than anything in the Star Wars universe.
    I don't know about range, But a star destroyer is faster than anything in the star trek universe. The fastest ship in the Star Trek universe tops out at a few thousand C(Barring Transwarp, where you're everywhere at once, essentially at infinite speed) and the fastest in the star trek universe tops out at a few Million C(barring ships of a 0.0 hyperspace class, which are essentially infinitely fast, and everywhere at once.)
    I'd argue that given the destructive potential of a single photon torpedo, that the energy exchanged in a battle in the Star Trek universe is orders of magnitude greater than anything in the Star Wars universe (short of the Death Star that is).
    Nope - A Photon torpedo's yield is roughly 64.3 megatons, double that for a Quantum torpedo. They're also some of the Heaviest weapons that the Enterprise is packing. The Torpedos and missiles the Star destroyer and it's smaller ships are packing are NOT it's most powerful weapons - for example, a heavy turbolaser - like the sort a star destroyer carries - put out the energy equivalent to about 2 gigatons Of TNT per second.
    Hell just looking at the engines, the Enterprise is capable travelling easily 1,000 times the speed of light where as a Star Destroyer can't even touch the Millenium Falcon which can only travel at 1.5 times the speed of light.
    Nope - The Enterprise E hits Warp 9.975, or (Very) roughly 3053 C. The Falcon has a Class 0.5 Hyperdrive, and made about 10 million C between Tatooine and Alderaan and a Star Destroyer has a Class 2 hyperdrive, and can reliably move at about 3.5 million c, in other words, they can really, really boogie. However - It seems that In the Star Trek universe, you can travel at your cruising warp speed damn near anywhere you like, where as the in Star Wars universe, how fast you can travel varies according to navigational hazards.
    The Enterprise-E was also in service during the Dominion War, so it was most likely retro fitted for battle and Starfleet, while primarily a force of peace in the 2360's-70's is still a military force given the tense relations they once had with the Klingons and Romulans.
    True, I'll give you that - However, Retrofitted for battle isn't the equivalent to Designed and built from the ground up for battle. Especially by a Race/government/whateveryoucallit of whom the majority or research efforts go towards new and wonderful ways of killing people and keeping the galaxy's populace under control, and thinks very little of anyone's life.
    Put simply, don't think anything the the Star Destroyer has will be powerful enough to penetrate or even weaken the shields of the Enterprise.
    Nope - The Enterprises shields are made to stand up to Phasers and the like, which (As usual, using borrowed math) Put out energy roughly equivalent to 7 megatons of TNT per second. The Star Destroyer's Heavy Turbo-lasers hit with the energy equivalent of 2 gigatons of TNT per second, with the smaller guns - which are more numerous - putting out the equivalent energy to 20 megatons per second.
    The Enterprise will simply ignore the flys the Empire calls fighters and easily blast a hole through the Star Destroyer with it's technologically superior weaponry.
    Technologically superior doesn't mean Harder hitting. A Bushmaster ACR assault rifle is more technologically advanced than, say, a 155 mm Howitzer M1 - but that doesn't mean that the Bushmaster's going to level a small building with a double-handful of shots any time soon.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2010
    Well, looking it up further, I was wrong about raw speed.

However, Star Wars ships are hopeless at hyperspace navigation. They couldn't use it at all in a combat situation, except to escape, and if they do that they might just get lost. The Enterprise, on the other hand, could repeatedly go into warp without such problems, so it isn't going to get caught.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on