This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Sometimes we just think we shouldn't be borrowing money to pay for everything. I'm not a fan of deficit spending. Having done it myself, it doesn't lead anywhere I want the country going.
    But that's only recently been associated with "conservatism." So few people who claim to be "fiscally conservative" have any idea of what that actually means that the term is pointless.
  • But that's only recently been associated with "conservatism." So few people who claim to be "fiscally conservative" have any idea of what that actually means that the term is pointless.
    Agree. Also, I'd like it noted that I'm more a fan of higher taxes than massive spending cuts.
  • Besides, "fiscal conservatism" is a very specific thing. "Conservatism" in general is literally wanting to slow down our reaction to a changing world.
  • The old ways are best. Bring me the christ child.
  • But that's only recently been associated with "conservatism." So few people who claim to be "fiscally conservative" have any idea of what that actually means that the term is pointless.
    Agree. Also, I'd like it noted that I'm more a fan of higher taxes than massive spending cuts.
    I want higher taxes AND spending cuts. If and individual is in debt, the first thing people tell them to do is spend less and try to increase their income; why shouldn't that apply to the country?
  • RymRym
    edited December 2010
    AND spending cuts.
    So what do we cut? Most of our costs are care for the elderly and infirm.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • why shouldn't that apply to the country?
    Even our basic expectations of standard of living cost WAAAY more than we pay in taxes. We expect so much and refuse to pay for it.
  • I want higher taxes AND spending cuts.
    Yes! Prune the bureaucratic dead wood, while making efficient public infrastructure. Use the taxes to increase efficiency, to save money later.

One thing I want the government to do is fund the creation of open source software so it doesn't have to pay for MSWord, etc. for everyone. I think the money they would save on licenses would pay for development, similar to the way Rym described commissions for enterprise software.

...or is that anti-capitalist? It would hurt Microsoft, I guess.
  • AND spending cuts.
    So what do we cut? Most of our costs are care for the elderly and infirm.
    Hence why I'm not a huge fan, because I've looked into where my tax dollars actually go. >_>
  • Hence why I'm not a huge fan, because I've looked into where my tax dollars actually go. >_>
    So we shouldn't pay for the care of our elderly and infirm? ;^)
  • So we shouldn't pay for the care of our elderly and infirm? ;^)
    Well obviously not, they don't give anything back to society. They just leach. I say soylent green the lot.
  • I say soylent green the lot.
    Soylent green wasn't people.
  • edited December 2010
    Charlton Heston disagrees.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited December 2010
    I say soylent green the lot.
    Soylent green wasn't people.
    Charlton Heston disagrees.
    I'll tell you what soylent green was...delicious.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I'll tell you what soylent green was...delicious.
    Exactly, and beneficial to society rather than a resource suck.
  • I'll tell you what soylent green was...delicious.
    Exactly, and beneficial to society rather than a resource suck.
    It'd be great until we all get Kuru and die.
  • Fail: I read some of Love and Tentacles. Gawd.
  • But Scandinavia and the World is hilarious!
    I <3 N.Z. and Wales. And the most recent Christmas one.
  • I <3 N.Z. and Wales. And the most recent Christmas one.</p>
    I was just reading about Christmas goats, Joulupukki, Julebokk, etc. I loled.
    I just read every comic. This one is definitely going in my comics folder! ^_^
    I just read every comic. This one is definitely going in my comics folder! ^_^
    It's a great comic with some Nordic learnings thrown in.
  • Conservatives of any stripe are fundamentally against progress.
    I could not disagree with you more. I consider myself a Conservative yet I love progress. I want LGBT rights, I want transhumanism, I love Dagen H, and I really want robot cars. I think Conservatism has gone away from it's roots, which was in fact progressive, but simply stated that government should only hold the powers enumerated to it by the Constitution.

But please, feel free to tell me I'm not a conservative.
  • I think Conservatism has gone away from it's roots, which was in fact progressive
  • Dammit I don't need an existential crisis before work. I'm an American, I don't have to apologize for shit. I'm a Conservative and I say fuck everyone who is against change that isn't Obama's change. Also fuck Obama.
  • I think Conservatism has gone away from it's roots, which was in fact progressive
    Are you sure you're not referring to the Republican Party?
    Are you sure you're not referring to the Republican Party?
    That's probably more the case.
  • Dammit I don't need an existential crisis before work. I'm an American, I don't have to apologize for shit. I'm a Conservative and I say fuck everyone who is against change that isn't Obama's change. Also fuck Obama.
  • Well played sir.