This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited March 2011
    And Then, I find Mark F is at it again. This time, by posting videos from the kind of Libertarian think tank that takes Ayn Rand entirely seriously, and has an agenda against any government that isn't them. Or at one point Ayn Rand, but she's dead now. But the moment they invent technology to bring people back from the dead, she's on their presidential ticket.

He's decent enough in his writing form, and normally he's pretty decent, but Jesus Christ, when he fails out, he fails out HARD. He's clocking up so many massive rationality and wannabe-journalist fails that he damn near deserves his own thread dedicated to it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • "Cultural Orientation" for my year in the UK is today. For it, I have to write a one page paper about Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island and what it taught me about the country, and then sit through a two hour meeting from 5pm-7pm on a fucking Friday night.

I wish there was an anglophile waiver so that I could prove that I had sufficient knowledge and UK-related resources in order to not waste my time writing book reports and sitting through meetings. As if I don't have enough other work.
  • Cultural Orientation for Britain? And it's taking two hours? How long can it take to tell you about pubs, football and complaining about the weather?
  • I dug too greedily, and too deep, in my quest for Star Driver clips.

• Cultural Orientation for Britain? And it's taking two hours? How long can it take to tell you about pubs, football and complaining about the weather?
    HEY! Complaining about the weather is serious business! My father was a weather complainer and his father was a weather complainer! Why you can look at generations of my family and see people who complain about the weather! I will not have such a noble past time trivialized! No Sa'h!
  • edited April 2011
    Cultural Orientation for Britain? And it's taking two hours? How long can it take to tell you about pubs, football and complaining about the weather?
    Don't forget, he's going to Newcastle, so he's also going to have to take advanced flat cap usage and Hating the south, too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • How could I have forgotten! That and advanced cryptology to understand them.
  • How could I have forgotten! That and advanced cryptology to understand them.
    Speaking Geordie - the one true defense against wiretapping.
  • Dammit Churbs, I went and looked up Geordi accent vids on youtube an now imma laughin ma ass off.
  • Dammit Churbs, I went and looked up Geordi accent vids on youtube an now imma laughin ma ass off.
    I roight fookin' loike <3 geordies loike yeah.
  • How can I feel so bad about a day where I'm going to watch anime films for nine hours straight?
    Whatever dopamine inhibiting shenanigans are happening in my brain, they'd better stop.
  • How can I feel so bad about a day where I'm going to watch anime films for nine hours straight?
    Whatever dopamine inhibiting shenanigans are happening in my brain, they'd better stop.
    Because there's no geordies, obviously. They make everything better like.
  • I remember being a kid and watching Ant and Dec. They were magnificent and terrifying in one motion. Like geoordi heralds.
  • I remember being a kid and watching Ant and Dec. They were magnificent and terrifying in one motion. Like geoordi heralds.
    My First Geordie(who wasn't blind and got around in a unitard) was James Bolam, in some old Biderbecke reruns and TV movies.

The stupid thing is that it actually took me about three months of living in Leeds to figure out why so many bits of it were so fucking familiar. Felt like an idiot when it finally clicked.
    My First Geordie(who wasn't blind and got around in a unitard) was James Bolam, in some old Biderbecke reruns and TV movies.

The stupid thing is that it actually took me about three months of living in Leeds to figure out why so many bits of it were so fucking familiar. Felt like an idiot when it finally clicked.
    I'm just now looking up some of these names on YouTube.

This is English?
  • edited April 2011
    I'm just now looking up some of these names on YouTube.

This is English?
    Don't look up Bix Biderbecke as being a Geordie, he's actually a jazz musician whose playing sounded like bullets shot from a bell. But yes, that's english, and what you'll be surrounded by. I don't see why you're having a problem.

Edit - I'm also going to have a word to my old housemate Nuz, from when I lived at raven road - She's a geordie, and I'm reasonably sure she lives with her lass up in either newcastle or teeside.

Speaking of Teeside-

Post edited by Churba on
  • I got a related video that is near-incomprehensible. I understand Ant and Dec well enough.
  • In news that isn't about Geordies, Look at this photo.

Now, Tell me, what do you think that is?

If you Said "An 81 MM mortar-fired Illumination flare with Parachute", You'd be correct. I've never been an artilleryman, but I've seen french troops lugging about shells that looked extremely similar, so I'm inclined to think they're of french manufacture. I do certainly know that the crescent looking thing above the six pointed star like on this round is the near universal symbol for "Parachute Flare" - at least when you're talking ammo markings.

If you said that it's "An unexploded mortar shell, and the star of david on it means that it's manufactured in Israel, so Israel is against Libya" then you're entirely wrong, and probably also the Al Manara News service.

Double Fail - The much more experienced, intelligent, and well-funded Al Jazeera ran the same story on their Arabic service, with the same conclusion, for the same reason.
  • edited April 2011
    We have been informed by Epsilon, the vendor that sends email to you on our behalf, that your e-mail address may have been exposed by unauthorized entry into their system.

Epsilon has assured us that the only information that may have been obtained was your first and last name and e-mail address. REST ASSURED THAT THIS VENDOR DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO OTHER MORE SENSITIVE INFORMATION SUCH AS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR CREDIT CARD DATA.

Please note, it is possible you may receive spam e-mail messages as a result. We want to urge you to be cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown third parties.

In keeping with standard security practices, the College Board will never ask you to provide or confirm any information, including credit card numbers, unless you are on a secure College Board site.

Epsilon has reported this incident to, and is working with, the appropriate authorities.

We regret this has taken place and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

Sincerely,

The College Board
    EDIT: This is why I don't give them my Social Security number.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • edited April 2011
    The College Board always sucked and it appears they have continued to suck. I never gave my SSN either.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm going to apply to Microsoft's NERD internship program. Unfortunately:
    We especially encourage applications from minorities (African American, Native American, Hispanic), young women, individuals with disabilities, and students from economically disadvantaged families.
    I am none of these.
    We especially encourage applications from minorities (African American, Native American, Hispanic), young women, individuals with disabilities, and students from economically disadvantaged families.
    I am none of these.
    Have you thought about cutting off a limb?
    I am none of these.
    Have you thought about cutting off a limb?
    Or two? Go for a combo!
  • Have you thought about cutting off a limb?
    This reminds me of something ...
    Are you Sally's boyfriend?
    Yes.
    Do you do legs?
    Well, yeah. Yeah.
    How much for just the left one?
    I'm serious, you'd be doing me a favor!
    Take my leg!
    OK. Just go and talk about this.
    No, you don't understand, Steve!
    I've got the key to the gates of paradise.
    But I've got too many legs!
  • Have you thought about cutting off a limb?
    This reminds me of something ...
    Are you Sally's boyfriend?
    Yes.
    Do you do legs?
    Well, yeah. Yeah.
    How much for just the left one?
    I'm serious, you'd be doing me a favor!
    Take my leg!
    OK. Just go and talk about this.
    No, you don't understand, Steve!
    I've got the key to the gates of paradise.
    But I've got too many legs!
    You are awesome for knowing that series!
  • edited April 2011
    You are awesome for knowing that series!
    That's probably my favorite episode too, and I also think of it anytime amputation comes up.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • You are awesome for knowing that series!
    That's probably my favorite episode too, and I also think of it anytime amputation comes up.
    I know, right? It still blows my mind that the writer of that series is also writing Doctor Who, Sherlock, and he wrote Jekyll. That guy has range :O
  • I'm allergic to another fucking class of antibiotics. Going into a benadryl-induced coma now. Double fail because I can't focus or stay awake long enough to finish my article for my thesis.
  • The first three kanji under the sticker read "Fukushima-ken".