This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• The only student who ever attempted to stab me at work was white.
    Ergo...
  • I really wonder how people get that racist and intractable. My uncle has at least been shot by minorities in his work as a cop, so that makes a degree of sense. But to just say "blacks are no good" is fucking mind-boggling.
    Sounds a bit like my dad, who fought blacks in Africa during the Portuguese colonial wars in Angola and Mozambique, which made him pretty suspicious of blacks in general. Oddly enough he didn't consider African Americans as "blacks" though -- he thought they were all biracial and that the only true "blacks" were back in Africa. Also, he never had any problem with any of my black friends that he happened to meet.
  • edited May 2011
    Not a huge fail, but it is a bit weird on reflection - I hopped out of the shower earlier on, and flicked on my room light, and I hear the HISS-BANG of a lightbulb breaking vacuum under load, then the tinkle of breaking glass. Which was weird in itself, but I figured it was just a faulty bulb, and walked over to turn on my reading lamp. At which point I discover that the glass didn't just crack or break from the expanding gas from the burning filament as sometimes happens, and have some bits fall on the bed like I'd expected. The glass had just dropped straight out of the bayonet cap, bounced off the bed, and landed on the floor, where it broke.

The evidence of which I discovered with my foot.

Hop over onto the bed, go to flick on my reading light to pull the glass out of my foot - no luck. It shorted the power and flipped the breaker, because it turns out as it fell, one of the wires that leads into the glass center of the bulb got bent when it blew, and touched the bayonet cap, shorting out the entire lighting circuit, and half the powerpoints, because "pre-war" apparently means "Wired by a fucking lunatic". Not a happy chappy at that point. But then, I grabbed my torch and medkit from my bedside and bag respectively, cleaned up my foot, dressed it, and had some ice-cream, cookies and earl grey for breakfast, so it all balanced out in the end, I guess.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ball/assumed-prostate pain has increased from once a day to about once every two hours. Also, I lost a final for APUSH. The upside is that I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning, and my APUSH teacher has given me until Monday in case I cannot find my binder that the final was in.
  • edited May 2011
    Hopefully its not testicular torsion.

EDIT: Brushed up on symptoms. It's almost definitely not testicular torsion, but see a doctor right away anyway.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yeah, that doesn't sound like what I'm feeling, but I am going tomorrow morning. Today I almost fell down because I thought my knees were gonna give out due to pain. I just hope it's not something horrible.
    I'll know tomorrow, and you guys will be the 4th to know. :P
  • Today I almost fell down because I thought my knees were gonna give out due to pain.
    That's like ER level pain, dude. I'm not a doctor yet, but having come from a family of doctors, I can tell you that I got brought to the ER last time I had pain like that.

I'm not entirely sure you should wait. Where do you fall? Ten is generally weeping and screaming; seven and above you should probably go to the hospital.
  • Today I almost fell down because I thought my knees were gonna give out due to pain.
    That's like ER level pain, dude. I'm not a doctor yet, but having come from a family of doctors, I can tell you that I got brought to the ER last time I had pain like that.
    Jeez, the one time it's probably necessary to worry, I don't.

I'm probably at a 6, maybe 7. I think it's because the pain is so apparently random, so it surprises me and catches me of guard.
  • I'm not in any position to tell you to go or not go. No MD yet, etc. But I can say that, were I in your position, I would go. The best thing to do would be to call the doctor's office and say "Today I almost fell down because I thought my knees were gonna give out due to pain." The nurses will tell you what to do.
  • I had testicular torsion once, and it was a pain. I did wind up going to the ER and getting examined to understand what was up with it. That area is still minutely sensitive today, but thankfully most of the pain went away in time.

But yeah, if you are ridiculous pain down there, like...Get help. Seriously.
  • edited May 2011
    Not much to add that hasn't been already. Seriously, sort your balls out, mate.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What's the name of that pain scale with the amusing descriptions (pretty sure it's to do with insect bites).
  • edited May 2011
    What's the name of that pain scale with the amusing descriptions (pretty sure it's to do with insect bites).
    The Schmidt Sting Pain Index.

I've often thought about letting various hymenoptera sting me since I started reading Schmidt's work.
  • I'll be fine. Now the pain is just... Odd. It's happening at a slower rate than yesterday, but fastr than the day before.

Like I said, balls will be getting checked out tomorrow morning. They don't hurt when touched, only every 'once in awhile.' If you guys think I should go to the ER directly after school, I can talk to my dad. I just figured that I could wait it out 'til tomorrow morning.
  • On one hand, ER visits can be expensive. On the other hand, you're at a seven, and:
    if you are ridiculous pain down there, like...Get help. Seriously.
    Going by this, which one?
  • I'd say 6 or higher.
  • I'd say 6 or higher.
    I'm asking him, but my advice would be the same. Six or higher? ER, stat.
  • Going by Hyperbole and a Half, which I find more helpful, today it's been 6-ish in those bursts. before it's been 5-4. Talking to my dad now.
  • Going by Hyperbole and a Half, which I find more helpful
    Yeah, I'm bringing it on clinical rounds next year. Most of the doctors I know hate the standard pain scale.
  • Going by Hyperbole and a Half, which I find more helpful
    Yeah, I'm bringing it on clinical rounds next year. Most of the doctors I know hate the standard pain scale.
    That's awesome. In all seriousness, the faces are easier to relate to. I made 6's face.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah, I've been a 10 before, and I can honestly say her 10 makes infinitely more sense than the standard 10. Another problem is that people who are technically fives with claim they're tens because they go quite literally by the standard scale.
  • Welp. I'm off to the races. Er, the ER.
  • edited May 2011
    Update since it's still a fail:

I have a cyst on my epididymis. It's 8mm big, and they don't know if that's causing the pain. They think that it's probably luck that they found it, and that it may be the torsoin, but they don't know. I'm going in to see my pediatrician tomorrow and see what's up. If the pain keeps going like this for up to three days or gets worse, I need to come back in ASAP. Also, I got "swabbed" for STDs.

At least I get the day off tomorrow?
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Awww dude, that stinks :/
  • Awww dude, that stinks :/
    It's fine. I mean, I wish I knew what was wrong, but hopefully we will tomorrow. I'm just trying not to stress out and worry before then, because that doesn't help.

Another plus: Ultrasounds are cool, and so is your body "talking" to you through heartbeats.
  • Know why I hate oil companies?
    If there is a problem, if some worker so much as hiccups on some pipeline in Africa, prices rampage upwards. If there is some big solution that eases the cost of oil, prices creep ever slowly down. Sometimes, the price of gas goes up because, according to companies "Well, uh..fuck I dunno. I'd like more Mercedes and gold bars I guess."
    Here's a link. Pay attention to the gas price dropping and then look at your pump price.
  • Also, I got "swabbed" for STDs.
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, just the thought of that makes me wince.
  • Also, I got "swabbed" for STDs.
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, just the thought of that makes me wince.
    They almost did it twice because they didn't realize I already had it done that visit.
  • If there is a problem, if some worker so much as hiccups on some pipeline in Africa, prices rampage upwards. If there is some big solution that eases the cost of oil, prices creep ever slowly down. Sometimes, the price of gas goes up because, according to companies "Well, uh..fuck I dunno. I'd like more Mercedes and gold bars I guess."
    This has nothing to do with oil companies and everything to do with speculative investors.
  • This has nothing to do with oil companies and everything to do with speculative investors.
    Yes, fuck wall street. >_