This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Hahaha, you guys sound like you are drowning in Teh Crazy. See, this is why yarn and fiber is the best roommate. It doesn't take or break your shit, and it doesn't complain when you do your thing.
  • How's yarn and fiber at paying rent?
  • Hahaha, you guys sound like you are drowning in Teh Crazy. See, this is why yarn and fiber is the best roommate. It doesn't take or break your shit, and it doesn't complain when you do your thing.
    I don't have a choice, it's my sister.
  • See, this is why yarn and fiber is the best roommate.
    I swear to god, if you've built a replica of Moe out of yarn, I'm going to have you committed.
  • I swear to god, if you've built a replica of Moe out of yarn, I'm going to have you committed.
    You are going to come back and there will be this Amigurumi Moe sitting on the couch, watching Torchwood.
  • How's yarn and fiber at paying rent?
    Not too bad, actually.
  • edited June 2011
    How's yarn and fiber at paying rent?
    Me. :P

Edit: I still haven't gotten that first skein? Or have you not mailed it? I also want to get that Earth Kingdom skein you have on the store and making matching monkey socks for my fingerless gloves.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Has she wrecked your AE86? 'Cause that's a hangin.
    No, My old Datsun. I'll be selling the Carolla.
    The only thing about that sentence that makes me sad is that I can't buy it.
  • The only thing about that sentence that makes me sad is that I can't buy it.
    Well, you could, if you want to pay to transport and get a right hand drive car checked off by whoever handles that in California, and then re-learned how to drive a stick right-foot-left-handed.
  • edited June 2011
    How's yarn and fiber at paying rent?
    Me. :P

Edit: I still haven't gotten that first skein? Or have you not mailed it? I also want to get that Earth Kingdom skein you have on the store and making matching monkey socks for my fingerless gloves.
    I have to count the yardage, unless you want me to just mail it without knowing the exact yardage. You could do it if you wanted to... I'm just going to count the wraps in the skein and multiply it by the number of inches. It's just a matter of getting the space cleared out to do it, and I've been sick this week.

I'm also out of printer ink for mailing labels... I ordered new cartridges, and they should be here soon.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited June 2011
    Are the pedals backwards on right-hand drive cars (gas brake clutch instead of clutch brake gas)?
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Are the pedals backwards on right-hand drive cars (gas break clutch instead of clutch break gas)?
    No.
  • edited June 2011
    Are the pedals backwards on right-hand drive cars (gas break clutch instead of clutch break gas)?
    Nope, the pedal layout is identical, but the gearshift is still in the middle - thus Right-foot-left-hand, as right foot is still the throttle/brakes, but you have to change gears with your left hand. It seems like such a simple thing, but it feels REALLY weird if you're used to the other one. Even worse when it's the other side of the road, too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Oh ok, no worries than Nuri. Whenever. It's just I got an email from Paypal about it and was hoping it wasn't lost in the mail.
  • Oh ok, no worries than Nuri. Whenever. It's just I got an email from Paypal about it and was hoping it wasn't lost in the mail.
    Oooh, that email notice was because I mailed the Inara batt to Mia! I had already left for Albany when you bought it. I didn't realize!
  • edited June 2011
    fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckFUCK. EVERYTHING.

You see, when your parents both work at the same company, there is a small element of risk involved: i.e, that they can both be fired in the same downsizing.

My parents, who have been scientists and project managers with some 30+ years of experience working for first Kodak and then Johnson and Johnson, have five weeks left to work. These are, of course, the people who are paying the absurdly oversized tuition bills I get every year from Columbia.

In the interest of my projected student loans not suddenly going up to about $150,000 and my parents continuing to eat, do any of you know any businesses that would be willing to hire one or two people with over 30 years of science and management experience, even for relatively short-term projects (i.e., ones expected to take 5 years or less) as contractors?

P.S. Please don't tell anyone that the J&J subsidiary Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics is downsizing till the end of the work day tomorrow, not everybody knows yet.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • FUCK.

This sounds like bad shit. I am really sorry dude.
  • P.S. Please don't tell anyone that the J&J; subsidiary Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics is downsizing till the end of the work day tomorrow, not everybody knows yet.
    BRB telling the whole internet.
  • The only thing about that sentence that makes me sad is that I can't buy it.
    Well, you could, if you want to pay to transport and get a right hand drive car checked off by whoever handles that in California, and then re-learned how to drive a stick right-foot-left-handed.
    Like I said...
  • So I'm casually looking for a new house, in a place with decent schools and a vibrant town center within about 20 minutes of my work, train access to the city. The area near me that fits that pretty well is Glenside (the headquarters of the website Newgrounds) I start looking at houses and find a perfect house. Only to show it to my dad to where he warns "You don't want to live there, that area is in transition, city residents (I.E. Blacks) are moving out there to escape the city, I don't care how liberal you are, you will be throwing your money away". Ugh, I hate when I encounter the typical reason Philadelphia became the city it is, sprawling and pushing business into the suburbs because of their white flight (fright). I wonder if Philadelphia will start to increase in it's population of Caucasians now that minorities are moving into the suburbs... Either way, it's disappointing (but not surprising) to come from my dad... (by the way the percentage of minorities is about 10% though that's from 2000) but WHOOOOOOO casual racism for the win...... I mean lose.
  • There have been a number of articles lately talking about the rapid shift in urban/suburban demographics around most major cities in the US. The urban poor can afford the suburbs now (due to falling home prices) and are simultaneously being pushed out by rising rents. Meanwhile, the suburban rich are flocking to the cities, further depressing property values in the suburbs and putting upward pressure on rent in the urban areas.

The saddest part of all this is that the economic stratifications are still so tied to race...
  • edited June 2011
    Yea, my annoyance was also that my dad was like "You can drive to glenside" and I was like "I want to be able to walk to places of interest"... Of course the other topic was there was a board game shop nearby and my mom was like "You won't care about that when you have kids" I retorted "I'll be having family game night unlike you guys :-p"

\\Just to add, I'm freaking 31, active in politics (ran for office), own my own house and getting married in a few months, if I'm not an adult already I'm not sure what I am, so I always get annoyed by my parents constant, "you'll grow out of it".
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • You'll grow out of many things. I'm in the midst of growing out of being a college kid with a salary to young professional who doesn't wear t-shirts everywhere.
  • I'm in the midst of growing out of being a college kid with a salary to young professional who doesn't wear t-shirts everywhere.
    I'm a highly paid adult professional with the word "senior" in my job title who wears t-shirts most places.
  • I'm a highly paid adult professional with the word "senior" in my job title who wears t-shirts most places.
    That's fine. My motives are two fold, I want to appear a bit more mature and I'm tried t-shirts. The problem is I have a very tall torso and most t-shirts are almost bare mid drifts on me. I'm just tired of it.
  • You'll grow out of many things. I'm in the midst of growing out of being a college kid with a salary to young professional who doesn't wear t-shirts everywhere.
    Heh, I'm not talking about styles, they change all the time (though my style hasn't changed much my entire life), anyhow, the funny part is when my dad was in his 20's he was all about motorcycles, cars and the shore, guess what, he's all about motorcycles, cars and the shore in his 60's. My mom was all about Volleyball and Tennis in her 20's and Guess what... Still into them into her 60's as well...

What I'm trying to say, is people don't grow out of things they are fundamentally about. They might take breaks or occasionally burn out on whatever they like but it doesn't go away. I may game less or differently, but I'm pretty sure I'll be gaming all my life. (it will definitely waffle from video games, board games, RPG's and such through the ages) but my parents thinking I'll grow out of it is crazy.
  • My parents, who have been scientists and project managers with some 30+ years of experience working for first Kodak and then Johnson and Johnson, have five weeks left to work. These are, of course, the people who are paying the absurdly oversized tuition bills I get every year from Columbia.
    Rochester businesses, argh. My dad's division at Kodak got closed down and it was touch and go there for a while. In the end, he got switched to another division on his last day, and now he gets to go to Japan a lot. But still, you poor guys. That is really sucky.
  • This was on the homepage of a Canadian newspaper after Game 6:

Also this:
  • Itunes decided to change all Japanese characters into boxes yet again.
  • Wacom Intuos 4 finally arrives in mail along with new wireless keyboard and mouse, and My fucking computer crashes and wont be back for another week and the laptop I own isn't powerful enough to run the tablet or a program to draw with it.