This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• There's a flowchart somewhere in that conversation.
  • Have determined that my motherboard is borked. This sucks. A lot.
  • Shit son. What model?
  • Have determined that my motherboard is borked. This sucks. A lot.
    If it's a 939, I might have one I can donate.
  • edited June 2011
    Actually, after I ordered the replacement, I determined that the PSU is a more likely candidate for the failed component. Luckily, I was able to cancel my order quickly enough. Troubleshooting FTL.

Press power button, computer gets power for a fraction of a second then shuts off. Won't turn on again until I've turned the PSU off then on again, with some time in-between. Same thing happened with minimal components connected. I concluded initially that there was a short-circuiting issue going on with the mobo, but the fact that I had to turn the PSU off and on again before I could even try anything lead me to believe that the PSU is at fault. Also, since this computer is only a year old, it seems less likely that the mobo would fail so suddenly. If I'm wrong, or my logic seems otherwise unsound, please let me know before it's too late to cancel my 2nd order.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited June 2011
    The power supply will power on independent of the motherboard if you use a paperclip to connect a green wire to a black wire on the motherboard connector. That pretty much only lets you know whether its completely dead or not. Also, for the motherboard, check CMOS battery, RAM, and secondary power connector. You probably know all that.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Wow. A "wacky" comedy starring a post-Shrek Cameron Diaz and a not-directed-by-David-Fincher Justin Timberlake has received a better score on the AV Club than this year's Pixar movie. Well, it was a good run while it lasted, wasn't it?
  • Wow. A "wacky" comedy starring a post-Shrek Cameron Diaz and a not-directed-by-David-Fincher Justin Timberlake has received a better score on the AV Club than this year's Pixar movie. Well, it was a good run while it lasted, wasn't it?
    Yeah, Cars 2 does not look good to me even though it does have Michael Caine. It's because they focus more on Tow Mater and spies think he's some super secret agent. The overall premise is amusing, but the fact that it's Tow Mater makes it horrible. Larry The Cable Guy sucks, but the lowest common denominator can't get enough of him.

I really don't know why they decided to even do a sequel. I don't think one was needed at all, but because of the ludicrous amounts of revenue that Disney/Pixar has pulled in from Cars, perhaps they thought it wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • edited June 2011
    Pixar pays out the nose to make those movies. They do so much technical innovation and spend so much time on them because they are really dedicated to their craft, but that shit costs. They may have decided to write Cars 2 not because they had a story thread, but because they needed to fund the other things. Cars made mad bank. Cars 2 is going to make mad bank. I'm not accusing them of selling out or whatever, because advancing art is easy, funding it is not. I think that was just the reality they had to face; to do what the wanted, they had to do what paid.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Larry The Cable Guy sucks, but the lowest common denominator can't get enough of him.
    HAR HAR HAR!! GET IT? HE TOLD YOU THAT IT'S FUNNY SO IT'S FUNNY!!!!
  • The power supply will power on independent of the motherboard if you use a paperclip to connect a green wire to a black wire on the motherboard connector. That pretty much only lets you know whether its completely dead or not. Also, for the motherboard, check CMOS battery, RAM, and secondary power connector. You probably know all that.
    That's how it used to be, but newer power supplies actually use load sensing to determine whether they power up or not. Just shorting that pin doesn't do it anymore.
  • edited June 2011
    It does on my Antec TP-750. I bought it last year.
    Post edited by Pegu on
    Welp, I'm going to go jump into traffic now.
  • The dating thread has made me depressed yet again. >.<
  • The dating thread has made me depressed yet again. >.<</p>
    Stay strong. Statistically speaking, we're unlikely to stay single forever.
  • edited June 2011
    Consider yourself lucky enough to complain, I have trouble finding people I can talk to in person. #Hitoribochi4Life
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The dating thread has made me depressed yet again. >.<</p>
    Think of it this way - women are more likely to get into your bitchin' miata than my clapped out, rusted van. Which does have windows, mind you, so it's not the worst it could be, but still.
  • Consider yourself lucky enough to complain, I have trouble finding people I can talk to in person. #Hitoribochi4Life
    Yeah, I actually don't have many friends in the area. >_>
  • Consider yourself lucky enough to complain, I have trouble finding people I can talk to in person. #Hitoribochi4Life
    Yeah, I actually don't have many friends in the area. >_>
    That's a positive. It's not that you know a shitload of people and none of them find you attractive. It's just that you don't know many people. You are the dude. You know how computers AND cars work. Do you know how rare that is? Give it time. We're still young!
  • You are the dude.
    He does abide, this is true.
  • That's a positive. It's not that you know a shitload of people and none of them find you attractive. It's just that you don't know many people. You are the dude. You know how computers AND cars work. Do you know how rare that is? Give it time. We're still young!
    It's the root of the problem though. I probably wouldn't be concerned about the girlfriend thing if I wasn't so lonely in general. I've got no one to hang out with most of the time.
  • Pops and I are souping up the M Coupe, and I've been putting it through its paces. I took a left at a yellow because I thought the oncoming car was stopping. It was not, and I avoided getting T-Boned by about 10ft because I'm a total fucking idiot. I've felt sick for the past ten minutes.
  • edited June 2011
    I had an argument with my little (pre-teen) sister trying to convince her that Toddlers & Tiaras is, in fact, an offensive and horrible show that should never have been made.

EDIT: I'm not upset about the argument, just the fact that she watches such a show and sees no problem with it.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I had an argument with my little (pre-teen) sister trying to convince her that Toddlers & Tiaras is, in fact, an offensive and horrible show that should never have been made.

EDIT: I'm not upset about the argument, just the fact that she watches such a show and sees no problem with it.
    Know that I am solidly behind you one thousand percent. That show is horrifying.
  • edited June 2011
    Fuck customs! Took an hour and a half.
    I had an argument with my little (pre-teen) sister trying to convince her that Toddlers & Tiaras is, in fact, an offensive and horrible show that should never have been made.

Know that I am solidly behind you one thousand percent. That show is horrifying.
    That's a real thing that exists?!
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • That's a real thing that exists?!
    Kinda makes you lose faith in the human race, huh?
  • That's a real thing that exists?!
    Kinda makes you lose faith in the human race, huh?
    I see your T&T;, and raise you My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.
  • I hate the world.
  • I see your T&T;, and raise you My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.
    That doesn't bother me nearly as much as t&t.; At least the gypsies chose to have big ol' weddings. Ain't nobody ask those little girls if they wanna get tarted up like a whore.
  • I see your T&T;, and raise you My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.
    That doesn't bother me nearly as much as t&t.; At least the gypsies chose to have big ol' weddings. Ain't nobody ask those little girls if they wanna get tarted up like a whore.
    But T&T;, at its core, is just a show about the flower girls from MBFGW. The whole picture is even more terrifying.