This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• >Look up smallpox on Wikipedia to find out when it was eradicated.
    >See article picture
    >MFW

>See article picture
    >MFW
    NSFL.
    >See article picture
    >MFW
    NSFL.
    Seriously. Now, imagine a world where that shit happened all the time. That was real life up until the 70s.

Jesus Christ I'm glad its the 21st century.
  • Meh. As advertised.

It is called small pox because there small pocks upon the flesh.

Largepox, now that is something to fear.
  • It's a continous carpet of marble-sized boils. On your skin. All over your entire body. And then they start to rupture.

I'm going into medicine, and I'd like to think I can handle a lot. Fluids, organs, trauma wounds, abcesses, anencephalic births, all that. However, I could never be a dermatologist. Skin conditions freak me right the fuck out.
  • edited August 2011
    I was just fired. I get two weeks severance pay.

My boss said he hated doing it because he felt he was under-utilizing my skills. I asked if he could put that in writing.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2011
    However, I could never be a dermatologist. Skin conditions freak me right the fuck out.
    It's probably like me with eyeballs. I can handle a lot of nasty shit, thanks to sensitivity training by Steak&Cheese; and other shock tactics my brother exposed me to growing up. Seeing someone with half a face cuz they blew off the other half with a shotgun ... I can handle that. To me, smallpox are nice because at least they got some symmetry. Like polkadot flesh. Seriously, play connect the dots or the dot game or something with a washable marker.

However, watching somebody put in a fucking contact lens makes me cringe. Dissecting a cow eyeball is just not a cool thing to me. Fuck you humours, you nasty nasty clear nasties! Oh, and I just love how the fucking lens crunches. blergargle
    Post edited by Byron on
  • A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she got a raise, and the first comment was somebody going off on an "anti-money" tirade.
  • Every single ceramic piece I put in the kiln last night shattered. That's over a dozen student pieces and one of mine that I spent hours on.
    Motherfucker.
  • Made a really nice pair of burgers last night. Left them to marinaded in the fridge. Put them on the side whilst I went to turn the oven on. Turned round and they were gone. I am going to kill my girlfriends dog.
  • @Axel
    Sorry man that really sucks.
  • Every single ceramic piece I put in the kiln last night shattered. That's over a dozen student pieces and one of mine that I spent hours on.
    Motherfucker.
    I used to work at a craft store, and I had to use kilns for pottery. Stuff exploded every now and then, and people got mad at us. It sucked ;-;
  • What causes everything to explode like that?
  • Usually air bubbles in the clay, or temperature not being right, stuff like that. We had stuff melt and warp too, which turned everything to surreal art pieces.
  • edited August 2011
    It seems a piece or two had air bubbles, and were too thick besides. They exploded which hit other pieces, causing a chain reaction of sorts. Clay is incredibly fragile while it is firing, and something exploding next to a sound piece will still cause it to shatter.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • It seems a piece or two had air bubbles, and were too thick besides. They exploded which hit other pieces, causing a chain reaction of sorts. Clay is incredibly fragile while it is firing, and something exploding next to a sound piece will still cause it to shatter.
    Man, I want to watch that on high speed.
  • I am having the following conversation with a coworker. For reference, she is the technical program manager for a branch of a program in the lab, and I am that program's Quality Assurance Officer.

Me: Hey, we've been doing this additional work for over a year now, and we really don't need to any more.

Her: Yes we do.

Me: No we don't. The national office changed their policy to cover the gap that we were trying to address. We don't need to cover it anymore.

Her: Prove we don't need to cover it.

Me: Um, the customer said we don't? That's how this works. It's written right here. It's even in our SOP's this way. We covered it like two months after we started investigating. We don't need to investigate any more.

Her: We need to cover it.

And so on. I'll point out that as the QAO, I'm the one whose job it is to say what is kosher and what's not. Apparently, the TPM hasn't realized that yet.
  • Pull rank and tell her exactly what you told us in that last line.
  • Pull rank and tell her exactly what you told us in that last line.
    I did. I've done that several times. It has yet to take.

What amazes me is that I'm a QA officer who is making everyone's life easier, and she's still fighting me on it.
  • Christ, man. Some people.
  • What amazes me is that I'm a QA officer who is making everyone's life easier, and she's still fighting me on it.
    Your only making it easier in the short term I'm sure strings will fly from unknown corners and complicate things :-p... No QA person actually wants life to be easier. If they did they would have a career in something other then QA.
  • Your only making it easier in the short term I'm sure strings will fly from unknown corners and complicate things :-p
    Y'know, I'd agree if this directive was coming from within our agency, but it's coming from the national program office - the guys who tell us what to do. Sometimes they say, "You guys can decide what to do here." In this case, they're saying, "We want you to do this when this situation arises." We can't contradict that. So, there's no point in us trying to figure out what to do in that situation any more, because the bosses above are telling us what to do.

It boggles my mind.
  • I did. I've done that several times. It has yet to take.
    Fuck this, I'm mailing you over the Spade Handle of Truth.
  • It boggles my mind.
    I keep telling you we should start a farm and sell hippie milk. But noooooo...
  • It boggles my mind.
    I keep telling you we should start a farm and sell hippie milk. But noooooo...
    And no ever heard from Nuri again.
  • I fractured my primary arm. Being suddenly a lefty kind of sucks.
  • Lie in bed, feel wide awake. Sit at desk, ready to keel over.
  • My family's dog is sick. He's 13 years old, and we're not entirely sure if he's going to make it.
  • I keep telling you we should start a farm and sell hippie milk. But noooooo...
    So there's this new farm that's selling raw milk cheese. It's like $40+ for a 2 pound wheel. Their cave holds 500 wheels at a time. They have to age the stuff for 60 days. You get about 1 pound of cheese per gallon of milk, and raw milk sells for around $17 - $20 per hundredweight - 8 gallons. So $5 in raw materials and you sell it for $40+.

Their production is backlogged for 18 months. $120,000/year to make cheese, less about 14k in materials and I'll arbitrarily say that much again in other fees - packaging and such. That's something like $100,000/year to make raw milk cheese.

I am so in the wrong business.
  • I am so in the wrong business.
    Yes, clearly you should be making black market cheese.