This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Today seems to be eat whatever is happens to be in the fridge day. Which is not much... >_>
  • Thanks for recommending Ip Man to me, Netflix. Figuring out that I'd like it based only on the 5 star rating I gave it is pretty impressive.
  • TV I restored now seems to be causing my head to spin when I play it too long. Though this may be linked to not eating enough as well.
  • Yes, I hear your 1-2 meals a day consist largely of rice. You need to eat healthier, my friend.
  • I bought the latest Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra DVD, and last night Juliane and I watched the first half. The show, recorded in the Royal Albert Hall, looks amazing, and Tim is very funny, and the new musical material works great with an orchestra.

But the sound mix is TERRIBLE! There are 4,500 people in the audience, but it sounds like there are only 20. At the end of each song, the music ends, and only a low, muted rumble of audience applause gets through. And he's singing funny songs, and when the music is playing you can't hear any of the audience at all, and I KNOW people must be laughing. When Tim is talking, it sounds like he is in a huge empty room.

To test what an audience should sound like in the Royal Albert Hall, I'm currently watching another concert on YouTube, and the audience sound is vibrant and rich. Even the smallest jokes and funny lines are getting way more laughs than Tim's full show.

This is the one case where I'd be happy to have a laugh track added, just to give it any atmosphere at all.
  • Sounds like all they did was a soundboard recording and didn't bother with setting up any ambient mics. Either someone wanted for his playing and voice to be isolated or someone was lazy and fucked up.
  • My "high-yield" savings account is now only 0.65% APR.
  • Sounds like all they did was a soundboard recording and didn't bother with setting up any ambient mics. Either someone wanted for his playing and voice to be isolated or someone was lazy and fucked up.
    This is just a bad mixing decision. With a two night DVD recording session in the Royal Albert Hall, you just don't fuck up with something as fucking brainless as not putting out ambient mics. And I speak as someone who used to record and mix live music events for broadcast on TV as a living.

I torrented the recording at the Sydney Opera House this morning, and Juliane and I just finished watching the show. It was mixed a thousand times better.

I checked Amazon.co.uk, and all 10 of the 5 star reviews of this DVD are from people who saw the show live, in person, and said it was an amazing show. I believe them! The Sydney Opera House version proves that. But the other people who are reviewing the actual show mention the same thing, so it isn't just me.

"A tad disappointed in this DVD- please don't jump on me yet till I've finished. The Audio and video is excellent and Tim himself is untouchable. I just find the audience reaction a bit dead. The guys material is sublime and the orchestration superb, but I also have the CD of the same which was recorded at the Manchester arena and the set is the same, but the audience reaction is much better- you can actually hear them roaring in the aisles I can't understand if this is down to the mixing of the DVD at source of if the audience at the RAH are just a bit slow to reactand get in the swing of things?

I've also seen the original recording with the Sydney Symphony in Australia and it is by far the best concert, but it was only broadcast in Australia.

Tim is a genius- but I think this DVD lets the side down a bit and I would plump for the CD recording of the show in Manchester over the DVD from the Albert Hall if I had the choice again. "

• 1.5 hours of sleep. Need to be up for the next 7.5 hours. Bring on the shadow people!

This insomnia is getting ridiculous. I wish I had some Ambien.
  • Cut off the tip of my middle finger off at work. Ow. ;_;
  • I just burned myself quite thoroughly making coffee.
  • I have about 5.5 hours more work to do this year. This is the longest day of my life.
  • 1.5 hours of sleep. Need to be up for the next 7.5 hours. Bring on the shadow people!

This insomnia is getting ridiculous. I wish I had some Ambien.
    Did you try a dose of Diphenhydramine? Benedryl puts me right out.
    I remember my mom in High School having to stay up for some project for 2 days. She went to a Catholic school and on the morning of the 3rd day she said the priest was changing colors during the morning mass. Seeing that, she went home to sleep. Lack of sleep brings on very weird visual effects.
    I also remember one of my animation friends talking about thesis and how he found himself staring at an editing timeline for an hour while it jumped around and changed shape and color.
  • edited December 2011
    For my first gig in NYC, I was hired to create a website for a sketchy marketing firm. They gave me two weeks, when I had told them the site would take at least a month (it was fairly large). The last few days were a blur of adderall-induced insomnia and Javascript.

I distinctly remember having vivid hallucinations at about 4am on a completely deserted floor of a Midtown skyscraper, listening to The Wall and getting freaked out by flickering ceiling lights.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been listening to The Wall on repeat for three days straight. (Or done the job at all, but it got my foot in the door)
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • It is 6 oclock and I have neither beer nor food in me.
  • Samsung Kies informed me that I needed to update it. I did and now my galaxy tab 7 is not compatible with it. Really guys?
  • CBS headline - "Marathon debate over controversial Internet law derailed after Twitter post by one congressman accuses another of being boring"

I'm raging so hard right now.
  • Christopher Hitchens is dead. Fuck.
  • When I read that i reached under my bed and grabbed the library copy of Missionary Position I just read...
  • edited December 2011
    There is so much fail in this.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Everyone in Nukey is throwing a fit over flurries. There's not even half an inch accumulated, and people are freaking out. Apparently even a couple inches is an ordeal.

Last year, Chicago got two feet in 35 hours and five feet total over the entire winter. Harden the fuck up, England.
  • Can't sleep. Been sleeping in 2 hour fits for the last three days. Argh. Not good.
  • Sadness.

I may not have agreed with some of what he defended, but it pains me that someone so willing to adamantly defend his beliefs is gone.
  • I forgot how frakking cold and windy Rochester is. I should have brought more than one scarf.
  • Somehow, between my acting final and my aikido final, I broke/fractured one of my pinkie toes. I've got it buddy taped for now but I'm probably going to see a doctor about it. It doesn't really hurt, so I'm pretty sure it's just a tiny fracture.
  • I thought I was well enough to go out for some food last night with some friends. I wasn't. I should have stayed in bed. Now I feel more ill.
  • Too much pressure in my ears. Earache ensues. Yawning doesn't work. Gulping spit doesn't work. Chewing gum doesn't work. AUGH!
  • Too much pressure in my ears. Earache ensues. Yawning doesn't work. Gulping spit doesn't work. Chewing gum doesn't work. AUGH!
    Try the Valsalva Manuver