This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Try the Valsalva Manuver
    Wow, I did not know there was a name for that. I just always did it and thought it was just a common thing, like blowing ones nose.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I did not know there was a name for that. I just always did it and thought it was just a common thing, like blowing ones nose.
    I only found out that it had a name back when I was doing my flight attendant training. I don't need it, though - I've got a wierd thing how I can just push my jaw forward and down, and it opens up the Eustachian tubes, which immediately equalizes the pressure.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I only found out that it had a name back when I was doing my flight attendant training. I don't need it, though - I've got a wierd thing how I can just push my jaw forward and down, and it opens up the Eustachian tubes, which immediately equalizes the pressure.
    I can sort of do that too. Not sure if that is a normal thing since you are the first person I have heard of doing it other than me.
  • I generally just jam a paperclip into my ear.
    I only found out that it had a name back when I was doing my stewardess training. I don't need it, though - I've got a wierd thing how I can just push my jaw forward and down, and it opens up the Eustachian tubes, which immediately equalizes the pressure.

Fixed that for you. Also, how long did you do that for? I heard it was vaguely interesting but a fairly terrible job with lousy pay and exhausting hours, plus you get sick all the time.
  • edited December 2011
    I only found out that it had a name back when I was doing my flight attendant training. I don't need it, though - I've got a wierd thing how I can just push my jaw forward and down, and it opens up the Eustachian tubes, which immediately equalizes the pressure.
    I can sort of do that too. Not sure if that is a normal thing since you are the first person I have heard of doing it other than me.
    I met two other people in my flying career that could do it, but that's about it. It doesn't appear to be a common thing, but certainly not unheard of. Bloody handy when you're flying all the time.
    Fixed that for you. Also, how long did you do that for? I heard it was vaguely interesting but a fairly terrible job with lousy pay and exhausting hours, plus you get sick all the time.
    You're so funny, I've never heard that before. No, you slay me. Really.

Two years give or take. And whoever told you that, well, they've either never flown, or they're just not suited for it. It has it's routines, like every job, but I can't say I ever had a boring or uninteresting day(Apart from the odd day of Airport reserve), I was making a shitload of money(My base rate before any bonuses put me in the same financial territory as Scrym, after bonuses and tax, I making six figures by a decent amount - Oh yeah, They pay American FA's like shit, maybe your country should learn how to pay people a living wage, and you might have fewer problems), and I was sick all the time...for the first six months or so, and wasn't sick again for the entire time, and still rarely get sick. Not to mention, I still often get preferential treatment when I travel.

Not to say it doesn't have it's downsides - the hours do break some people, and it can fuck up your social life, relationships can be difficult, and passengers can be(and often are) assholes, but you know that going into it, it's par for the course. No job is all glamor.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My dad's got my mom walking on eggshells. He's making her check in with me at regular intervals because she "shouldn't be out alone without anyone knowing where she is." >_< What a prick.
  • Churba, that sounds kinda painful >_o. Either way, the pressure was released not long after I posted, on its own.
  • Yeah, hence why I asked. The stuff I'd heard was from burned out people in the US airline industry. Also, I'm seriously considering just committing a crime in a foreign country then coming back to the US so I can get extradited. I wouldn't be surprised if low security French prisons are better than being poor in the US.

I'm glad that my joke was so fresh and hilarious to you. It warms the cockles of my heart. The very cockles.
  • Yeah, hence why I asked. The stuff I'd heard was from burned out people in the US airline industry. Also, I'm seriously considering just committing a crime in a foreign country then coming back to the US so I can get extradited. I wouldn't be surprised if low security French prisons are better than being poor in the US.

I'm glad that my joke was so fresh and hilarious to you. It warms the cockles of my heart. The very cockles.
    It's cool - The US industry is a bit different. The pay isn't as good, and labor laws are far different - I mean, there was a period of time where pilots and flight attendants both, working full time, were getting low enough pay that many qualified for food stamps.

Don't mind me no-selling your joke, but seriously, it's older than god's beard.

• I've got a wierd thing how I can just push my jaw forward and down, and it opens up the Eustachian tubes, which immediately equalizes the pressure.
    I can do something similar, but without the pushing of the jaw. I just have direct control of the muscle that opens the tubes.

It's cool - The US industry is a bit different. The pay isn't as good, and labor laws are far different - I mean, there was a period of time where pilots and flight attendants both, working full time, were getting low enough pay that many qualified for food stamps.

Don't mind me no-selling your joke, but seriously, it's older than god's beard.

No worries, I'm used to dry humor anyway, I fully knew that joke was old but SOMEONE has to make it.

Yeah, from what I understand the one stable thing about the airline industry (at least in the states) is that it's unstable. Of course, all of my information comes from my dad, who was looking into the industry over two dozen years ago.
  • edited December 2011
    No worries, I'm used to dry humor anyway, I fully knew that joke was old but SOMEONE has to make it.

Yeah, from what I understand the one stable thing about the airline industry (at least in the states) is that it's unstable. Of course, all of my information comes from my dad, who was looking into the industry over two dozen years ago.
    It depends how you mean unstable. People always have to get around by air, so it's not going away anytime soon, but margins are often thin, problems cause enormous expense(Even a ten minute delay to a flight will cost the airline thousands upon thousands of dollars), so the companies themselves are certainly unstable. Personnel counts(and often, the personnel themselves) are kinda unstable, and the turnover is high - a lot of people just can't handle the job, it can be enormously hard, and doesn't suit everyone. A lot of people crash and burn real bad, and all sorts of problems ranging from depression to suicide are not uncommon.

Sure, it seems glamorous and easy as pushing a trolley down the aisle, but it's actually a lot harder than it looks.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can do something similar, but without the pushing of the jaw. I just have direct control of the muscle that opens the tubes.
    Can you do it with both? I can only do that with my right, and even then it does not always work.
  • Can you do it with both? I can only do that with my right, and even then it does not always work.
    It works with both, but it works better in my right ear. My ears sometimes get "stuck" though, and I'll have to blow through my nose pretty hard to unstick them.
  • Can you do it with both? I can only do that with my right, and even then it does not always work.
    It works with both, but it works better in my right ear. My ears sometimes get "stuck" though, and I'll have to blow through my nose pretty hard to unstick them.
    Same here, and it usually works equally well with both ears, and even when it doesn't, I can just hold that jaw position and wriggle my jaw back and fourth.

• edited December 2011
    On my 360, Netflix decided that, mid-movie, it is suddenly unable to play movies on the TV because of an "output protection error". Fucking seriously? Mid-movie?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Wow...I always thought that thing was a parody.
  • edited December 2011
    Ah, Objective Ministries, I forgot about them.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I wonder how fast parodies of that could be made if it found it's way to 4chan...
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted
    But only because it gets caught up in Twitter's somewhat unintelligent spam filters, apparently.
  • If a kid tried to witness to me, I'd give them free candy and a cup of coffee before letting them go back to their parents.
  • The skin of my heel is cracking open again, fucking dry skin! >_<
  • Do you not apply lotion to your feet after you shower or before you put on socks. That normally helps keep it from being too dry.
  • I am out of vacation and thus must spend the next two weeks basically alone in the office. #firstworldfail
  • So, it seems that Xbox live's holiday sales are starting. And I will be away from my Xbox for at least half of the sales maybe even most of them. I shall hope that no interesting game that I want and don't have yet doesn't have a sale-day.
  • Last night I tried to get all of the Damascus flags in Assassins Creed. When I started I had 33. I used an online map of flag locations. When I was done I had checked all 100 locations but only had 99 flags. Yeah, I fucked up...
  • 10 christian billboards.
    Well, I'm convinced. The loving embrace of Christianity certainly calls to me through those ads. I guess I'd better call up a priest or whatever and get some sweet, sweet salvation.