This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• "Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."

Corollary:

"Party hard, work harder, leave a battered corpse as a glorious legacy to the legend of you."
  • They're probably zone out more during mine, though. XD
    I'll admit I only read the first sentence of your last post.
  • They're probably zone out more during mine, though. XD
    I'll admit I only read the first sentence of your last post.
    Young people, man! They never listen!
    /Ikid

• I never have, and I hope to goodness I never will.
    Same here. I know the legal limit, I know my limit, and I know when I'll blow over the legal limit. I managed to learn before I had any problems encountered.

To be fair, it's easier for me - I drive a van, so if I've driven somewhere and I get soused, then I can just crash out in the back. I've even got a swag in there for that purpose.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the phrase "err on the side of caution" applies here. I have sat in my car in a parking lot for 45 minutes after a restaurant closed waiting for the rest of the alcohol in my system to metabolize rather than drive the short distance home in a questionable state. Maybe George is just projecting his inadvisable choices on others. :P

• I'm just honest. I definitely thought I was fine to drive when I pulled out of the parking lot. Poor Walker was just over the limit, it's just a poor judgement call. I don't want to gang up on the guy.
  • I never have, and I hope to goodness I never will.
    Same here. I know the legal limit, I know my limit, and I know when I'll blow over the legal limit. I managed to learn before I had any problems encountered.

To be fair, it's easier for me - I drive a van, so if I've driven somewhere and I get soused, then I can just crash out in the back. I've even got a swag in there for that purpose.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the phrase "err on the side of caution" applies here. I have sat in my car in a parking lot for 45 minutes after a restaurant closed waiting for the rest of the alcohol in my system to metabolize rather than drive the short distance home in a questionable state. Maybe George is just projecting his inadvisable choices on others. :P

I think it's not that unreasonable to suspect that most folks, maybe most older folks whose 21st birthday well predated the PSA blitzes on DUI (buzzed is still drunk, and all that), have gotten in a car and then thought better of it after the fact. I'm pretty careful with alcohol, even a little nervous about it, and I've done it. I don't think every instance of "wow, that beer was a little stronger than I thought" requires a public pillorying, especially not if the behavior is self corrected.

That's not to say that this should be license to go out and test your limits on the road empirically...
  • I'm just honest. I definitely thought I was fine to drive when I pulled out of the parking lot. Poor Walker was just over the limit, it's just a poor judgement call. I don't want to gang up on the guy.
    And he's admitted fault. Ganging up is unneeded.

I did it once. Once. I felt like an asshole afterwards. Never again.

And he's admitted fault. Ganging up is unneeded.

I did it once. Once. I felt like an asshole afterwards. Never again.

As I once said to a friend, there's the old joke about driving drunk. If you do it, you're a moron, if you make it home, you're a legend.
  • As I once said to a friend, there's the old joke about driving drunk. If you do it, you're a moron, if you make it home, you're a legend.

• You're one page behind.
  • edited August 2012
    Eh. Whatever. Still a fail to me and paying attention to every post on this forum is for people who have time.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I don't understand how I can be so poor, I make so much money. How does anyone make enough to save a substantial amount of money?
  • Don't put yourself in a position where your cost of living is so high that your luxuries leave you living paycheck to paycheck.
  • My roommate honestly thought it would be not only feasible, but a good idea to raise the room temperature in the apartment to 113F if we got bedbugs.
  • I don't understand how I can be so poor, I make so much money. How does anyone make enough to save a substantial amount of money?
    They live a hell of a lot more frugally than you. :P

• What do you spend your money on in an average month?

Aside from rent and utilities, I spend my monthly money on (roughly):

~$400 - Groceries
    ~$350 - Nice dinners
    ~$200 - Lunch every workday
    ~$140 - Internet and phone
    ~$100 - Transportation
    ~$80 - General shopping (clothes, games, etc...)

That's basically it. I don't buy stuff that often. The "general shopping" is an average, but I only buy things I need when I need them. I do buy everything I want immediately when I want it, but that is a very small number of large transactions (flights to a con, laptop, etc...).

So that's the sum of a fairly extravagant lifestyle. The vast majority of my non-rent money goes into food.
  • I spend ~1/2 Rym money.
  • Spend a lot less eating out and add a $400 worth of car payment and insurance and $200 worth of gasoline and that's my average budget. And $1000 paying off my credit card, but I want to keep paying that when I pay it off in two months and just throw that into savings.
  • So, you're not poor. You're servicing debt. That's a direct gain equivalent to saving.

I "broke even" for a long time early on out of university, but really that was money paying down student loans.
  • It's the "and" paying $1000 on the card that you seem to be forgetting, George. That's effectively $1000 of what could be savings. Are you paying for past living expenses or fun time purchases?
  • He told me hookers and blow. I told him he needs to ease up on that stuff.
  • Yeah, if we ever had to cut down, we could easily do it by halving our food budget.
  • edited August 2012
    So, you're not poor. You're servicing debt. That's a direct gain equivalent to saving.
    Well it feels the same as poor. >_>
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Not quite equivalent to saving. Bankruptcy discharges debt but doesn't build savings...

George, 2 months is cake. Don't stress. I've got 37 months to go...
  • So, you're not poor. You're servicing debt. That's a direct gain equivalent to saving.
    I like you George, but that sounds so damned whiny and privileged. "I find ways to spend all my money so I feel just like a poor person!"

I like you George, but that sounds so damned whiny and privileged. "I find ways to spend all my money so I feel just like a poor person!"
    I'm sorry, it just bothers me that I spend at a bare minimum $2500 a month. I really don't feel like I'm doing anything crazy either.
  • If I had $2500 a month, I'd be living like a king.
  • George you do travel a lot, there are a lot of hidden expenses with traveling.
  • If I had $2500 a month, I'd be living like a king.
    I too once thought as you do...