This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• If $1000 is going to debt, then that's not really a crazy amount of money to spend. Especially living in the DC area. You're effectively spending $1500 on living expenses? Not terribly out of whack for a single person. The fact that you have 1k to drop on debt every month is awesome. Lots of people aren't able to do that.
  • If I had $2500 a month, I'd be living like a king.
    2500, is the rent they want to rent the house that I am still FAILING TO BUY UGH, TAKE MY MONEY... damn it.
  • It's all about perspective and what we are accustomed to with living expenses. Just imagine if you had other expenses like significant others, or pets.

I recently realized that I spend about $135/month on my three cats when it comes to pet insurance, cat food, and litter. I could probably cut out the insurance, but I'm on a contract for a year.
  • ...it just bothers me that I spend at a bare minimum $2500 a month. I really don't feel like I'm doing anything crazy either.
    I spend more than that on rent alone...

• If $1000 is going to debt, then that's not really a crazy amount of money to spend. Especially living in the DC area. You're effectively spending $1500 on living expenses? Not terribly out of whack for a single person. The fact that you have 1k to drop on debt every month is awesome. Lots of people aren't able to do that.
    No, $2500 is just my budget for existing, the $1000 for debt (and savings in the future) is separate.
  • If I had $2500 a month, I'd be living like a king.
    Ah, I remember being 19 and thinking that if I could just clear $200/week I'd be set for life.

Now my take home pay is $3700 per month, and that's about doubled by my wife's income. We have a minivan and a sub-compact, a small (1600 sq ft) house in a lower middle class neighborhood, and cable TV. I can't afford to fix the broken plumbing in the house, replace the drafty windows, and when our boiler's fire box rusted to pieces we had to borrow money to replace it...

It's really easy to paint yourself into a corner if you're not innately good with money or your parents didn't instill it in you (my parents instilled the opposite and it's been a long uphill battle.)
    No, $2500 is just my budget for existing, the $1000 for debt (and savings in the future) is separate.
    ...I hate you. Also, good job.
  • edited August 2012
    If I was Rym, I'd pack a bento jar for work any day I didn't have a lunch meeting. Then, I'd spend that money on board games. :3
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    ...I hate you. Also, good job.
    My mortgage payment is $2K every month (including escrowed taxes and insurance), and it's not that much house. It's a dump, actually. Cost of living in DC/Connecticut is massive.

• What do you spend your money on in an average month?

Aside from rent and utilities, I spend my monthly money on (roughly):

~$400 - Groceries
    ~$350 - Nice dinners
    ~$200 - Lunch every workday
    ~$140 - Internet and phone
    ~$100 - Transportation
    ~$80 - General shopping (clothes, games, etc...)

That's basically it. I don't buy stuff that often. The "general shopping" is an average, but I only buy things I need when I need them. I do buy everything I want immediately when I want it, but that is a very small number of large transactions (flights to a con, laptop, etc...).

So that's the sum of a fairly extravagant lifestyle. The vast majority of my non-rent money goes into food.
    is this per paycheck or per month?
  • I'm currently paying $600 a month for a 10'x10' bedroom in a house 30 miles from DC. That's the only reason I can save as much as I am.
  • edited August 2012
    Muppet, George is a young, single bachelor with no family to support. There is a slight difference in your circumstances. But yeah, the COL in the DC area is a bit ridiculous. One of the reasons I don't want to ever live there. The other reason is driving in DC. Because fuck that.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Good news, everyone! I found an old waffle in my freezer! Looks like I'll be having breakfast today!!
  • Muppet, George is a young, single bachelor with no family to support. There is a slight difference in your circumstances. But yeah, the COL in the DC area is a bit ridiculous. One of the reasons I don't want to ever live there. The other reason is driving in DC. Because fuck that.
    Well, there is that. My teen needs orthodonture and we are SO screwed...

• I was always under the impression that orthodontic work was covered under most insurances. Not so. You can usually do some sort of pay plan, I forget what it's called. I was considering it to switch over to InvisiLine instead of these stupid permanent retainers.
  • Our dental coverage, like most people's, is terrible. It's a surprise every visit what our portion of the bill will be.
  • Those are considered high tier services and most insurances pay 50% at most and the patient is responsible for the rest.

I love my dental plan and the fact I don't need those high tier services. I have $4k/year dental plan and I haven't used any of it. I really need to go in for a cleaning, but I don't want to! WAAAAAA. I also pay $20/month for it.

/love Govt. Employee Insurance.
  • I used to have INCREDIBLE coverage when I worked for CIGNA, but they were an insurance company....

My insurance here at my present employer was much better when I started than it is now, but I suspect that's the case for most in the US.
  • If I was Rym, I'd pack a bento jar for work any day I didn't have a lunch meeting. Then, I'd spend that money on board games. :3
    I own most every good board game already...

• "My well-being works like this: I'm satisfied with my life, therefore I'm rich."
  • The real fail of that video is that it was shot with a RED camera, but was rendered down to 480p.
  • The real only fail of that video is that it was shot with a RED camera, but was rendered down to 480p.
  • The gov't has once again proved to me that they are simply incapable of tying their shoes without consultants. >_<
  • And a check from lobbyists from the shoestring industry.
  • Got a new hard drive and don't have enough sata cables. So I switched the one connected to my dvd drive since I barely use it.
  • If I was Rym, I'd pack a bento jar for work any day I didn't have a lunch meeting. Then, I'd spend that money on board games. :3
    I own most every good board game already...

I forgot to figure that into my hypothesis. ~_^

• Gah, my Mom picks NOW to go off on me about my major. Seriously, 3 days before classes start? What the fuck am I supposed to do now?
  • If it is the major you want then tell her to piss off, in your own way. Not sure using those exact words would be helpful.
  • Well I mean it is and it isn't. I was doing CS but I don't exactly have a knack for coding nor the patience to do so. I changed it to Sociology because I think its interesting but she just decided that its a horrible idea and basically that she's ashamed of me for it "I'm paraphrasing" and now I don't know what the fuck to do.