This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited December 2012
    "Daya lick digs?"

Funnily enough, if you turn on captions and watch the scene where he has a huge conversation in Pikey with the other Travellers, the captions actually read something like, "[Unintelligible]."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Huck Finn is pretty good
    That too.

I liked it.
  • edited December 2012
    Heart rate rocketed to 140bpm during my journalism class. Went to the clinic, got left in an exam room for 30min while I felt like I was dying. Everything is normal now; three blood tests and an EKG later and no one knows what was going on.

Now, 12 hours of labwork!
  • EE Practicum is like the worst clas ever. It's not designed to teach. It's sort of designed for you to do things and not know what's going on and not learn anything, but it's even shitty at that.
  • edited December 2012
    There is only one torrent for Irresponsible Captain Tylor available on a certain Bay, and it's fansubbed and only has like two seeds. All the streaming sources disappeared with MegaUpload and were never replaced.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • At least you have the two seeds. Trying to get All This and World War II, my download speed would occasionally drop to 0mb/s because people stopped seeding it. Also, no torrents exist for any of Minoru Kawasaki's work that hasn't already been licensed for legitimate release in the US.
  • There is only one torrent for Irresponsible Captain Tylor available on a certain Bay, and it's fansubbed and only has like two seeds. All the streaming sources disappeared with MegaUpload and were never replaced.
    13 seeders and my download will finish in 2 hours.
  • Mind you, it's just the TV series. There is a link to the OVAs page on there.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2012
    At least you have the two seeds. Trying to get All This and World War II, my download speed would occasionally drop to 0mb/s because people stopped seeding it. Also, no torrents exist for any of Minoru Kawasaki's work that hasn't already been licensed for legitimate release in the US.
    I assume you are referring to Kani Goalkeeper? Should I ever come across a torrent or download, you will be the first to know.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject, I can never wrap my mind around the fact that Kani Goalkeeper got a pass, yet Everything Other than Japan Sinks was chosen to be released here. EOtJS is so inaccessible and Kani Goalkeeper is so easy to grasp.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I saw.
    Man, I really want the final episode to download - I was just remembering how the finale goes, and I want to watch that part again so much.
  • edited December 2012
    Word is that Syria has begun mixing and arming their chemical weapons. Apparently they might even have a supply of VX from Iraq.

Fuck...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited December 2012
    Where does the world stand on turning Damascus into a Glass Parking Lot? We could use high temperature thermobarics to avoid fallout. Evacuate rebels, glass the government headquarters, move the rebels back in. Have a little victory picnic where al-Assad's body was reduced into a pile of carbon nanotubes at tens of thousands of degrees.

That might sound harsh, but I feel like it's time for the rest of the world to say, "Hey, we don't FUCK with chemical weapons, assholes."
  • Yeah, even the fucking nazis, the Red Army and Imperial Japanese didn't use chemicals weapons, for a damn good reason. That is a can of worms that has to stay closed at all costs.
  • edited December 2012
    Where does the world stand on turning Damascus into a Glass Parking Lot? We could use high temperature thermobarics to avoid fallout. Evacuate rebels, glass the government headquarters, move the rebels back in. Have a little victory picnic where al-Assad's body was reduced into a pile of carbon nanotubes at tens of thousands of degrees.

That might sound harsh, but I feel like it's time for the rest of the world to say, "Hey, we don't FUCK with chemical weapons, assholes."
    Much as I like that the delightfully gleeful destructive 12-year-old in me says "Nukes Nukes Nukes!" Yes three bombs. All on the same target. Say we targeted a fly on al-Assad's jacket in the media. Let Obama have the credit. I like nukes.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah, even the fucking nazis, the Red Army and Imperial Japanese didn't use chemicals weapons, for a damn good reason. That is a can of worms that has to stay closed at all costs.
    Well, the Nazis were obviously quite fond of gassing prisoners, and the Japanese did some tremendously fucked-up shit with chem/bioweapon experimentation. Unit 731 makes the Tuskeegee Experiments, the ebolapox synthesis at VECTOR, and Starfish Prime (US detonated a nuke near Hawaii just to see what the EMP wave would do) look like the D-Day Invasion. Unit 731 gives me the howling fantods unlike anything anyone's ever done with biology.

That said, it's worth noting that though the Nazis and the Japanese were experimenting with this stuff, they never actually deployed it in warfare.

EDIT: Apparently, Unit 731 actually did massacre over 400k Chinese civilians with cholera, plague, and anthrax spores. This wasn't done as a military maneuver so much as an "experiment" in bioweapon epidemiology. So yeah.
  • I knew about that, but the important part of the distinction was that they never used it in proper combat, because they damn well didn't want their enemies doing it back to them.
  • Exactly. Rumor has it that during both Iraq wars (though it was more likely to have been relevant during the first one as Iraq's chemical arsenal was either severely limited or non-existent by the time of the second one), the US intentionally leaked plans (real or fabricated) for a nuclear counter-strike should Iraq use chemical weapons against US troops. Whether or not these plans were actually real was irrelevant -- it was enough to convince Saddam Hussein not to use his chemical arsenal either time.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    In game theory, there's solid strategy around bluffing and threats. In most cases:

A stated, credible threat is beneficial.
    A stated, non-credible threat is possibly beneficial and possibly detrimental.
    A non-stated, credible threat is detrimental and possibly dangerous.
    A non-stated, non-credible threat is detrimental.

So basically, in any balance of power, you need a threat that is credible, or else you're in a position of disadvantage. But the worst possible thing you can do is prepare a threat that you do not make clear to your opponent. There, the threat not only has no impact on any negotiation, but has a possible adverse outcome: you get all of the danger and none of the benefit.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • One of these days, I'd really like to read a good introductory book on game theory...
  • edited December 2012
    Also quite beneficial, if you can manage it, is a stated, credible commitment to ignore (or at least never give into) all threats or blackmail.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited December 2012
    One of the things about chemical weapons is that there is basically no way to get away with ignoring the threat of their use because of their absolutely horrific effects. If you threaten my government with a chemical attack and I say "Come at me, bro." my people are going to cruxify me the moment the pictures come out of the children who died of asphyxiation because their throats filled with blisters. The only possible response to anything chem or bioweapon related is to flatten the people using them ASAP lest that shit get out of the bag. There are no circumstances whatsoever where allowing the use of chemical weapons against human beings has a positive net outcome, meaning that either you cave to the threat (not an option, as it will make future threats with chemical weapons effective) or you blow up the motherfucker making the threat before he can use his toys.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • And you know what weapons are really good at flattening things?
  • Giant robots?
    Nukes are most effective when they are not used. They exist purely as a giant, unspoken threat that keeps anyone from dicking you or your allies too thoroughly.

The problem is that using a nuclear weapon counts as a pretty comprehensive dicking, and the US isn't the only one with nukes...
    Nukes are most effective when they are not used. They exist purely as a giant, unspoken threat that keeps anyone from dicking you or your allies too thoroughly.

The problem is that using a nuclear weapon counts as a pretty comprehensive dicking, and the US isn't the only one with nukes...
    Which brings us back to the massively over-sized U.S. Military and it's unmatched ability to apply conventional dickings to targets world wide.
  • If you are going to send the message you don't fuck around with chemical weapons, why should you fuck around? One nuke makes your point, three nukes (and getting your friends to drop nukes as well) proves you do -not- even think about that doing that shit.

Of course a B2 loaded with thermobaric bombs could just effective at proving our point (especially if you launch the whole fleet) but like I said, the gleefully destructive 12 year old in me likes the pretty mushroom cloud.
  • The problem is, it also soundly disproves the "you do not even think about using nuclear weapons" idea.
  • Word is that Syria has begun mixing and arming their chemical weapons. Apparently they might even have a supply of VX from Iraq.
    I thought it was pretty well confirmed they had VX.
  • The problem is, it also soundly disproves the "you do not even think about using nuclear weapons" idea.
    If I keep a shotgun in a highly visible place in my house, and everyone on my block knows I have said shotgun, am I in the wrong if I shoot someone with said shotgun if they break into my house? Obviously for them the threat of being shot wasn't enough to deter them.