This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Rym said:

It would be really, really had to live without a doorman now that I am accustomed to having one. Packages are just automatically taken care of no matter what.

At one point, I had packages shipped to my office (fortunately my employers were cool with that) just so that I'd know I'd get it safely and on time.
  • To be fair, everything fails in comparison to /r/uok, the comprehensive subreddit on Terry Bogard.
  • Neito said:

Apparently, according to /r/mensrights, if you go outside in a skirt, your panties are in "public view" and it's "State violence" that there are anti-upskirting laws.

Let's play a game - MRA or Libertarian?

Trick question, the answer is always both.

• edited August 2014
    Mensrights is more deranged and toxic. Tumblr Activism is more common-place annoying and spreads across the internet to other social media sites blaming every majority/powerful position.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • You want to hear a joke?

Men's rights.
  • r/TumblrInAction is my mainstay for silly activism.
  • That has piqued my interest severely.
  • I just stumbled into reddit drama involving depression quest? I don't even know what's going on because everything is deleted and tainted by crazy. I actually felt physically dizzy after it. Then somehow got linked to a guy breaking his monitor after playing stepmania. People with rage issues...

Look guys, I can't save the whole world all the time. Can we stop being crazy for a few minutes?
  • Can someone explain to me why Depression Quest is so controversial? I played it and just found it to be a super boring visual novel type thing with a hamfisted message.
  • edited August 2014
    Greg said:

Can someone explain to me why Depression Quest is so controversial? I played it and just found it to be a super boring visual novel type thing with a hamfisted message.

It's made by a girl woman.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited August 2014
    Greg said:

Can someone explain to me why Depression Quest is so controversial? I played it and just found it to be a super boring visual novel type thing with a hamfisted message.

I don't think it was controversial at all. It got press coverage being a game about a subject that isn't touched on in games really. It happens somewhat often.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • The big issue that has been going around is that the creator may have slept with reviewers on popular websites to garner positive reviews for the game. Honestly can't be surprised if this turns out to be true or not.
  • That sounds like a ridiculous degree of sexist bullshit. Screw those people.
  • edited August 2014
    For some reason I was very much under the impression Zoe Quinn was a lesbian (I thought she had said this in some interview I saw). I can't really find any evidence with a cursory Google search so I'm not sure if that's the case but it seems like she wouldn't be cheating on an ex-boyfriend if she was.

EDIT: Hmm... I guess there some possible evidence that she could have.

But still I don't really care.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited August 2014

That sounds like a ridiculous degree of sexist bullshit. Screw those people.

It's only sexist bullshit if it's untrue. Not knowing exactly what the hell is going on, I'm not going to give an opinion as to its veracity, although, admittedly, sexism in general is rampant in much of the game industry.

If it does turn out to be true, shame on all the parties involved. Shame on the developer for using sex to try to garner positive reviews and shame on the reviewers for accepting those advances, whether or not they influenced the subsequent reviews.

If it's false, shame on the assholes who spread those vicious rumors.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I think what's hilariously shocking is that I went to /v/, expecting the usual sexist bullshit, and while that is there, a lot of the posts about it are one of:

1) Why are we giving the reporter a free pass for promising a good review for sex?
    2) Can we please just talk about video games?
    3) Is there any real evidence?
  • I guess there is some hope for humanity after all.
  • From the stuff I've read it doesn't really seem like she was doing it to further her career. She just sorta seems like someone who doesn't really think in terms of we and then ends up hurting people around her possibly. I mean yeah she sure seemed to fuck up with this guy and was treating her time like the 60s. She seems to have double standards about relationships. She's not good at them. She's not too different than a lot of nerd people.

People are making a correlation between journalists, things they've said about her game, and the idea that she may have had sex with them simply because the pieces are there. Just because the pieces are there doesn't mean they fit together but of course the Internet won't think that way.

So what does this have to really do with video games? Nothing really.
  • Solar power kills birds.

Well, shit. I guess we can toss that out as a power source.
  • Federal wildlife officials said Ivanpah might act as a "mega-trap" for wildlife, with the bright light of the plant attracting insects, which in turn attract insect-eating birds that fly to their death in the intensely focused light rays.
    That is the Rube Goldberg-iest barbecue I have ever seen. I need to drive over there and have a look.
  • edited August 2014
    Daikun said:

Solar power kills birds.

Well, shit. I guess we can toss that out as a power source.

"Can't we just line the ground with KFC buckets?" -Chris
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited August 2014
    Neito said:

1) Why are we giving the reporter a free pass for promising a good review for sex?
    2) Can we please just talk about video games?
    3) Is there any real evidence?

Because the reporters in question probably aren't women, should but probably not, and not a scrap but like that ever mattered to the internet, and Reddit in particular.

Edit: Even the Ex-boyfriend's original post doesn't say it's for positive reviews, it was allegedly to punish him for a perceived slight against her. Which, if true, is super shitty(reconsidered - Not just super shitty, but outright abusive behavior), but doesn't justify a single iota of the hatred or any single one of the actions taken against her.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2014
    It may be cruddy to post that someone has cheated on you, or it may not. I think it depends greatly on the context.

In either case, though, I hardly think it's something that requires much justification. It's a factual thing that happened that he's under no obligation to keep secret nor to divulge. (edit - ahh, you edited)

The whole situation is dumb, and the attention people are paying to it is dumber. Nothing the average gamer likes better than slut shaming, though, so here we are.

Re: Solar -- I'm certain that coal plants kill zero birds. Ever. On any timescale.

Pffffffffft.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited August 2014
    muppet said:

(edit - ahh, you edited)

Sorry, more reconsidering, in light of new information. It's looking like this has nothing to do with - from the perspective of the parties involved, not the internet's commentary on it - games journalism and the ethics(or lack thereof) in the industry, and more to do with outing the abusive party in an abusive relationship. Which, I'll admit, is something I struggle to condemn for personal reasons, regardless of the gender of the abuser or any other party involved.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ousting a person like that is something I would expect a high school kid to do. To see adults do it is kinda sad. I'm not condoning anyone's actions in the relationship but the matter to which it was addressed was kinda pathetic.
  • The only thing I saw about DQ before this thread was this link from r/TumblrInAction.
  • MATATAT said:

Ousting a person like that is something I would expect a high school kid to do. To see adults do it is kinda sad. I'm not condoning anyone's actions in the relationship but the matter to which it was addressed was kinda pathetic.

On one hand, I agree, if it were just about cheating. That would be rank bullshit. But when it comes down to something that strongly seems(but, of course, might not be, we don't have enough evidence to say for sure) to be outright abusive, I'm not so sure that this is the case.
  • Churba said:

MATATAT said:

Ousting a person like that is something I would expect a high school kid to do. To see adults do it is kinda sad. I'm not condoning anyone's actions in the relationship but the matter to which it was addressed was kinda pathetic.

On one hand, I agree, if it were just about cheating. That would be rank bullshit. But when it comes down to something that strongly seems(but, of course, might not be, we don't have enough evidence to say for sure) to be outright abusive, I'm not so sure that this is the case.
    Of course. But then he should have stuck to that story. I didn't read the whole account but he was mostly just talking about how she was a liar about cheating and how she was not as great of a person as he thought. There may have been something in there where he was accusing her of selfishly furthering her career but I maybe didn't get that far. The point being that most of the conjecture I've seen of her supposedly doing that came from outside sources (one being InternetAristocrat who is kinda a piece of shit anyway) and as stated before correlation does not imply causation.
  • MATATAT said:

Of course. But then he should have stuck to that story. I didn't read the whole account but he was mostly just talking about how she was a liar about cheating and how she was not as great of a person as he thought. There may have been something in there where he was accusing her of selfishly furthering her career but I maybe didn't get that far. The point being that most of the conjecture I've seen of her supposedly doing that came from outside sources (one being InternetAristocrat who is kinda a piece of shit anyway) and as stated before correlation does not imply causation.

Nah, he doesn't go on with that far as I can tell. Mostly just what happened, what they both did, how he felt about it, and so on, along with pictures of IMs and so on which are all laid out in pictures - as best I can tell, all the pictures are text.

All the conjecture about furthering her career is being attributed to him, but comes from outside sources.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself for previously shooting my mouth off without enough of the facts in place, and somewhat disappointed in some of my mates - including some extraordinarily intelligent people who frequent these forums - who have been doing the same, painting the issue in a very different light.