This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Aren't you guys seriously tired of this dead horse argument? Boo-fucking-hoo to both fucking sides when the competitor fan base whines about the release of the a new product.

Both these OS's are the superior giants here over anything else. Both have pros and cons. Who gives a shit? Go with what features you want. Pick your poison. And yes, people will throw money at shiny things. Nothing new here.
  • My ire is equally split between Apple and those reporting on the tech industry.
  • I messed up both of my plaster molds and had to do them all over again. Then messed up the wax casts.
  • Then don't read them.
  • I was really confused until I realized you were responding to HMTKSteve.
  • The maps on the watch are a pretty dope feature. You can just wear the watch when you bike around. Haptic feedback on turns. Maybe not worth the price for that feature alone but still cool.
  • Every RadioShack I've been into is completely empty. I've known someone who worked at a RadioShack that says that is what every day is like. I'm astounded this is just now happening.
  • Rochelle said:

Then don't read them.

Pretty hard to do when every where you look - social media, Youtube, podcasts are spewing out bullshit.

The new Apple phones made me laugh so hard though.
  • MATATAT said:

Every RadioShack I've been into is completely empty. I've known someone who worked at a RadioShack that says that is what every day is like. I'm astounded this is just now happening.

I get parts from my local Radio Shack all the time. I just bought some nice clicky buttons for a project I'm building from them. Most of the wiring and little parts of my bike stereo came from RS! Same with my arduino shields! It would suck if they closed!
  • It's odd - down here, Dick Smith and Tandy used to be the place to go for parts. They both died off on that front(though Dick Smith's still operates, and a lot of Tandy Stores got folded into that brand), but then an Ex-Dick Smith employee bought John Carr & Co.

Nowdays, you can usually find a somewhat-local Jaycar store, and they've got FUCKING EVERYTHING. Seriously, I get their yearly catalogs, this year's is about a half-inch thick printed on the same kind of paper as phonebooks, and is mostly parts lists. They survive mostly by catering hard to that market, and not trying to be in every shopping center, but rather, being well-stocked and cheap enough that you come to them, which cuts their operating costs quite a bit.
  • Radio Shack had the same problem Local Game Stores have for me: when I actually need them, they don't have what I need.

Soooo... nothing lost here for me.
  • I think Radio Shacks tend to be hit or miss. I suppose it's either a franchise situation or it's just kinda good at knowing the local market. If you have a local owner/manager that happens to be a hard core electronics geek, they'll probably have a good selection of random switches, chips, etc. Same thing if it happens to be in a locale with lots of electronics geeks. Most of them, however, are in malls, strip or otherwise, where frankly, most brick-and-mortar shoppers would rather just go to Best Buy or WalMart to get a better selection of TVs, phones, laptops, etc., at cheaper prices.
  • I defeated the steering rack on my Caprice, but I've now discovered the heater doesn't work. Fuck me.
  • Saving seeds for hot Fish Peppers. Moved the seeds around on their plate. Touched face in sensitive places. Whoops.

T_T
  • My gen 1 kindle fire is showing its age in a bad way. Even the silk browser is working like crap. My kindle, my fail...
  • edited September 2014
    In my area people still think of Radio Shack as the place to go for bits and bobs but around here Microcenter does a way better job for that. Only the bigger Radio Shacks still have all the little parts you think of. Smaller ones have a whole bunch of cell phone stuff because that's where the employees make their money and then a token selection of parts.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • In my area people still think of Radio Shack as the place to go for bits and bobs but around here Microcenter does a way better job for that.

Amen! My best friend shops there all the time.
  • I tried to have a conversation with a student who thinks a University is a non for profit organisation, that post grad studies and a Masters are essential for the workplace, that employers care which University you go to based on how much they cost and that UWA (a backwater post-grad focused University in Western Australia) is comparable to MIT, Stanford, Oxford and Harvard.

Why did I even waste my time.
  • The difference is that all the media people have iPhones already and really like the look of the new Apple Watch. Nobody is going to switch to Android just for a watch (though the Google Now functionality will swing some people).

i think people will pay 350 for an accessory, no problem. I think lots will pay 3,500 for the top end models too. Not me, though, as I've got to save my money for a new iPhone 6!
  • I think Apple sheep will pay 350 for an accessory, no problem.

Depends on the media you read, I think it looks horrendous and why do you have such a complex interface with touch and a knob to control something on your wrist. By the time you have started fiddling with that, you might as well just bring out your phone and do it faster.

People seem to also forget that Apple was announcing an announcement for a product rather than releasing one because they are in catch up mode.

The last 2 years of Apple announcements have more or less been - this is us catching up to Android as we are getting wrecked internationally.

For me I won't buy the first generation of either.

I will wait for 2nd generation. However I'm not sure that smart watches will even last all that long
  • Wrecked internationally? Are you kidding? Have you seen the sales numbers and shares of profits of Apple?

"With 15.5% of smartphone sales in Q1, Apple took 65% of profits"

That's incredible business success. Apple makes more money with 15% than everyone else put together. That other 85% is only partially the high end market, and Samsung has that high end Android market wrapped up at the moment.

So if someone is buying a smart watch for (within two years) $100 to $300, they'll be getting an Android Wear version, and the manufacturer will be making little to no profit (like how all Android handset makers but Samsung are barely breaking even or losing money). But if someone buys a smart watch for $350 to $3,500, they will buy Apple, and Apple will make $100 to $3,000 per watch. Again, it'll be very easy for Apple to be making 65% of the profit from just the highest end 15% of the entire market.

This isn't playing catch up! This playing "We will make money from people with money" and that's a much better game. Other companies put out whatever phone or mp3 player or phone they can, as soon as they can. Apple usually works on something for many years, keeps the development secret (rather than trying to sell tech prototypes), learns from the mistakes and successes of others, and then crushes it.

Personally I'll wait for the third generation. The iPhone 3GS, not the iPhone 1. Or the iPod Nano, not the iPod Classic. Or the iPad Mini with Retina, not the iPad 1. It has served me very well so far!
  • If your OS is only getting into a small portion of the market and it forces the user to have everything proprietary from the connections, to accessories and connectors you are setting yourself up for failure.

The cost of everything Apple produces has to continue to keep on increasing.

Long term it will go down the path of the Apple computers. Slick looking products, with massive marketing, incredibly expensive, exclusionary and with internals that are consistently behind the pack. Consumers will eventually snap out of it and go with common sense.

Google is pushing the OS like Microsoft pushed the OS. They don't care who makes the hardware. I personally hate Samsung's designs, I've always bought HTC and could only see myself buying Motorola or LG as alternatives.

I'm assuming this is the strategy behind pushing Android One in the Indian market as it is ripe for a takeover with the downfall of Blackberry.

The "Apple keeps its development secret" is akin to "you can't speak to God because you don't believe". They are just doing the smart business move of seeing what innovations are good, how they can compete with the best looking externals and using low cost internal hardware. This is helped by the American tech media being on Apple's leash.

I'm still undecided on the smart watches, just surprised by how bad the Apple Watch is.
  • sK0pe said:

I tried to have a conversation with a student who thinks a University is a non for profit organisation

Wait, virtually all (decent) universities I know of are nonprofits. Of course, they all seem to care about maintaining their endowments more than virtually anything else, but they're not actually trying to pay out to investors or anything.
  • There's a difference between a "nonprofit organization" and a "not for profit organization". The NFL is a nonprofit, but there are certainly a lot of people profiting from it.
  • sK0pe said:

If your OS is only getting into a small portion of the market and it forces the user to have everything proprietary from the connections, to accessories and connectors you are setting yourself up for failure.

15% is a small portion of the overall market, but that's still 700 million devices sold. 700 million devices (with probably a similar number of apple or iTunes accounts) is a massive, massive market. When I go into an electronics store to buy an accessory, guess which brand has the widest choice of phone cases and covers? Apple. Which has the highest number of on-and-off-brand cables and connectors? Apple. This is not a tiny market with no choice, it's literally the biggest single market for those who make connectors and accessories, along with apps, or at least it's certainly the most profitable.

Saying people are excluded from Apple is like saying people are excluded from an entire continent, not from a small party. Exclusive is a few hundred or few thousand being able to buy into the group. Three quarters of a billion people joining anything is the opposite of exclusive.

People pay a premium for a reason, just like the do for food, cars, and any other good that has both a function and a luxury element.

Also Apple's secrecy in development is legendary. The iPad was in development for almost a decade, and it was actually that development that led to the iPhone. The iPhone was so far ahead of its competition that Blackberry and Palm actually thought the stage demos were faked, and that it was impossible to have a small device function like that. Nobody was doing anything quite like the iPhone, and once Apple did it, everyone else jumped on board. This is history, as told from the point of view of Apple's phone-making competitors at the time.