This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• He's a fucking stuffed animal.
  • I thought I was doing real good at work after the conversion (my subsidiary was sold). This weekend I find out that everyone who does my job NOT in my office has been getting unlimited OT because they are failing to adapt to the new systems. Yup, my awesome skills are costing me money and the idiots are earning tons of money because they can't get their shit done during the normal work day.
  • Fucking XCOM. "Hurr dee durr, I'm an unarmored civilian, I think the best path is to climb up to the roof and run through TWO FUCKING OVERWATCHED ALIENS!"
    Fuck your couch. You deserve the double penetration plasma fest you got.
  • Fucking XCOM. "Hurr dee durr, I'm an unarmored civilian, I think the best path is to climb up to the roof and run through TWO FUCKING OVERWATCHED ALIENS!"
    Fuck your couch. You deserve the double penetration plasma fest you got.

Those hostage rescue ones can be pretty annoying especially if you haven't got your unit off the ground or your technology is a little behind.
  • In the old Xcom I'd used civvies as bait/shields. I wasn't super concerned with saving many of them: I'd get plenty of goodwill and money from killing enough of the aliens to balance out the horrific casualties.
  • If your joy in gaming is maximizing the quantifiable rewards from a gaming system/engine, then I guess that works. In my opinion there's value in immersion and I'd have trouble with that if I was sacrificing civilians to boost my budget. :)
  • muppet said:

If your joy in gaming is maximizing the quantifiable rewards from a gaming system/engine, then I guess that works. In my opinion there's value in immersion and I'd have trouble with that if I was sacrificing civilians to boost my budget. :)

I did it from an immersion perspective. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. This is WAR. War against the greatest threat mankind has ever faced.

Those people are lucky I even send my soldiers to help them. God knows they could be better used elsewhere. Fighting alien terror is at best a political necessity.

• Rym, may you never be given command of a project like XCOM.
  • Actually he was the commander in the board game version we played at PAX. He played the role very well and we succeeded on our mission.
  • Also, I'll say this: Fuck snipers. I gotta give you genetic enhancement and cutting-edge optics just so you can do your job? Fuck that noise.
  • So Rym == Ender Wiggins?

He can handle the company credit card. He didn't fuck it up in the board game.
  • Rochelle said:

Actually he was the commander in the board game version we played at PAX. He played the role very well and we succeeded on our mission.

I remember there was a little hype about this, what was the boardgame like in the end? From the lack of discussion I assume it went down the Pandemic route?
    Rym said:

In the old Xcom I'd used civvies as bait/shields. I wasn't super concerned with saving many of them: I'd get plenty of goodwill and money from killing enough of the aliens to balance out the horrific casualties.

In the Firaxis version, you need a minimum number of rescued civilians, bonuses are based on rescues rather than kills.

One technique I use is to have 1 or 2 members with very high mobility to go around the buildings to rescue civilians with the main team usually working through the building. You can still get messed up doing this though, I've lost 3/4 of a unit due to some silly decisions combined with unexpected cyberdiscs.

• sK0pe said:

Rochelle said:

Actually he was the commander in the board game version we played at PAX. He played the role very well and we succeeded on our mission.

I remember there was a little hype about this, what was the boardgame like in the end? From the lack of discussion I assume it went down the Pandemic route?
    This a game that should only be played by people who aren't easily distracted because this game is time based. Also players need to be fast to react and make a decision. I would have to play a few more times to see if it becomes repetitive like Pandemic.
  • edited November 2014
    Some Idiots Flew to Liberia to 'Cure' Ebola Patients with Homeopathy.

Among their brightest hopes were arsenic and rattlesnake venom.

I don't even.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The fail of my dad is that I misspelled the name of my own game when uploading it to DriveThruRPG. It turned out to the only thing you can't edit in their system, so I had to reupload everything. That sure was great.
  • edited November 2014
    The fail of your dad is that you misspelled? :)
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Holy shit what is wrong with me today.
  • "The fail of my dad" should be a thread about parents posting ignorant things on facebook, kind of like /r/forwardsfromgrandma.

Also, tekzilla was cancelled and that's sad. First rev3games and now this. Discovery just keeps fucking things up.
  • "The fail of my dad" should be a thread about parents posting ignorant things on facebook, kind of like /r/forwardsfromgrandma.

Also, tekzilla was cancelled and that's sad. First rev3games and now this. Discovery just keeps fucking things up.

Not to be confused with the slightly uncomfortable "feel of my dad" thread.
  • Snow ruined everything.
  • Snow ruined everything.

Predicted apocalyptic snow never materialized here.

• Berlin is just hitting freezing temperatures during the day. This hasn't happened in November for maybe five or six years. This winter might be a chilly one!
  • While in the process of getting back my EZ pass my tire popped