This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Regular prices go up, it costs more on top to get it mailed, and they're only fulfilling the first 10K order, for anyone who doesn't want to read.

That's...Idiotic. I don't know how an organization that big can't find themselves capable of...More.
  • Because I haven't seen my normal PCP in over three years I had to make an appointment with another doctor.
  • Because I haven't seen my normal PCP in over three years I had to make an appointment with another doctor.

I originally read that as you going to the doctor because you were out of PCP.
  • Why did Uniqlo have to go and break their lovely alarm app? It took forever to find an old .apk that wasn't spammy bullshit.
  • Oh noes! My shitty yuri fanart is getting taken off Tumblr! Whatever shall I doooooooooooo?

What's funny is that he talks about the DMCA as if it's an organization.
  • Terry Pratchett died so that sucks a bit.
  • Amp said:

Terry Pratchett died so that sucks a bit.

It sucks for us but I think he really wanted to go, he hated living with his Alzheimer's from the documentary Choosing to Die.
  • Yeah he did seem pretty miserable, still a real shame. At least we have something like 70 books to keep going on.
  • I did a 3rd year Computer Science laboratory where the objective was to install an Excel plugin. I think I was the only one to finish in less than 5 minutes (had to work out why the installer did not make a required registry key and do it manually).

Surprising thing - there are kids in their 3rd year Computer Science degree who don't know how to use Windows, OSX, Linux or Google.

How do they pass primary / grade school / high school?

Worse - the data mining professor had no idea how to fix this and did not understand what an "instance" of a program was.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time but people/employers really value that piece of paper (the degree).
  • sK0pe said:

Amp said:

Terry Pratchett died so that sucks a bit.

It sucks for us but I think he really wanted to go, he hated living with his Alzheimer's from the documentary Choosing to Die.
    Yeah, but he died of a chest infection, and not by his own choice.

So it's actually even sadder.

• His final tweets were amazing.

"
    AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.
    "
  • A girl I went to high school with is heavily into woo woo bullshit. crystal healing, Orgone Energy, sacred geometry, gmo bullshit, astrology, you name it. Its just really sad to see her fall for all of this because she's probably smarter than I am.
  • A girl I went to high school with is heavily into woo woo bullshit. crystal healing, Orgone Energy, sacred geometry, gmo bullshit, astrology, you name it. Its just really sad to see her fall for all of this because she's probably smarter than I am.

Same way that relgions and cults can totally entrance smart people.

• Rym said:

His final tweets were amazing.

"
    AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.
    "

Someone on r/Writing prompts wrote this which I though was pretty touching;
    "The elderly author looked at Death. "I'm afraid you weren't quite what I was expecting," he said, his voice strong and clear once more.
    She shrugged, her frizzy black hair contrasting sharply with her porcelain skin. "Sorry. WOULD IT HELP IF I TALKED LIKE THIS?"
    Terry just sighed. "Neil will be insufferable about this, I know it."
    Death laughed. "If it helps, he missed that I like cats."
    Terry smiled a little. "Hah. Well..." he crossed to his computer, and typed a few words.
    Death walked over to peer over the author's shoulder. "AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER," she read. "Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night. The End." She looked at him. "Very nice. Ready?"
    "Ready."
    He took her arm.
    There was the sound of wings."

Thanks, Nickelodeon!
  • A lot of outlets, including BoingBoing, have been reporting completely uncritically about the International Agency for Research on Cancer's recent report that Glyphosate herbicides causes cancer.

As you already guessed, it's total bullshit, and the report is garbage hardly fit to line the bottom of a birdcage - it's literally manufactured to sucker people. It's a report that only considered sixteen studies, seven of which have nothing to do with Glyphosate, few if any of which support their conclusion, and in which the data was under consideration for less than a week before they came to their conclusion.
  • So, the anti-science on the political left strikes again?
  • I've never been super moved by the cancer angle as it seems like everything causes cancer. What I worry about are the effects on ecosystems inherent to certain pesticides from either the culling leading to resistant/invasive strains of weeds, or the death of pollinators, etc. It seems like there's plenty of material to damn industrial farming with, without going the "OMFG CANCER!!!" route. That's Forwards from Grandma territory.
  • Forwards From Grandma? I smell a book deal!
  • Are forwards from grandma different from forwards from dad?
  • You're thinking of Shit My Dad Says. Totally different, unless your dad is over 60, then it's probably the same. ;-P
  • Still sounds like a great series of books. The grandma book can cover the crazy left while the grandpa book cover the crazy right.
  • He is a grandpa....
  • Hmm. Tough call.
  • muppet said:

I've never been super moved by the cancer angle as it seems like everything causes cancer.

• Have you been reading the daily mail again?
  • Cutting down on sodium is so damn difficult. I almost can't eat any-goddamn-where and even at home it is still outrageous.
  • muppet said:

I've never been super moved by the cancer angle as it seems like everything causes cancer.

I mean, the major problem is that cell division tends to cause cancer eventually, and so it's hard to tease out other affecting factors...