This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• HMTKSteve said:

New windshield on car gets a chip from a rock. Three hours later two foot long crack. Car is not even two months old.

No worries, they won't have any trouble getting replacement glass.
  • True but factory installed is always a better seal and fit than replacement.
  • HMTKSteve said:

True but factory installed is always a better seal and fit than replacement.

Such is life. :(
  • Watching my department slowly run out of funds for reason beyond our control is the most depressing thing I've seen, everyone is moping and making arrangements to find new jobs while our boss is off in France. I guess it's high time I started firing up the resume gun.
  • On the bright side I discovered the scratch and dent warranty I purchased is total and complete shit AND was made out for the wrong vehicle. 60 day cancellation for a full refund, which I will be cancelling one it is corrected to be for my car UNLESS they just gave me the wrong papers and my scratch and dent policy is not shit. Car is less than two months old so I can still get the full refund.
  • I figured out the problem with my washer is one broken wire. I need a wire stripper and then a a quick solder should have this thing back at full power.
  • I have fixed my washer with the shittiest soldering job ever that wasn't just a cold solder. My soldering iron is a piece of crap, if the connection breaks I'm getting a new one to fix it properly.
  • The Computer Science degree I'm doing has a 2nd year unit which is 1/3 an introduction to Excel (literally as if a student has never seen a spreadsheet in their whole life).
    The rest is using a maths program called Mathematica and Matlab. (The latter is a fairly simple programming language but seems to break many of the conventions adopted across all other languages (e.g. arrays start at 1 instead of 0).
    All the 1st year units sound harder than this, it seems to be required for CS students alongside Engineering students.
  • MATLAB is my least favorite programming language by a fair margin.
  • edited February 2015
    Someone on reddit is currently trying to tell me that it's the media's fault that redditors aren't very good at pretty much anything to do with the media but still feel compelled to comment on it, because the media is teaching them the wrong things about how the media works, because all the media industry experts come from the media industry.

Post edited by Churba on
  • MATLAB is my least favorite programming language by a fair margin.

MATLAB is mostly for engineers as far as I can tell.
  • well considering its basically just a language for a calculator.
  • If you're going to learn a language for a calculator, you might as well mess around with BASIC on a TI calculator. It helped me (cheat) a lot in high school.
  • Churba said:

Someone on reddit is currently trying to tell me that it's the media's fault that redditors aren't very good at pretty much anything to do with the media but still feel compelled to comment on it, because the media is teaching them the wrong things about how the media works, because all the media industry experts come from the media industry.

• I was looking forward to the algorithms unit at University as it is often taught by one of the two most knowledgeable and charismatic CS lecturers but one is doing Python and AI units while the other is on sabbatical.

Leaving some random guy who has just joined the University who is clearly here only for the research money. He's taken a set of slides and printed them to PDF so that he can present that shit in portrait mode from his iPad.

The problem with this is that most of the code is off the screen and he flicked through the main portion of the lecture today as if swiping to play a game when he realised he was running late.

The guy clearly didn't even prepare because he was just reading the text on the slides but the slides are essentially prompter points for interaction with the students to work through a problem. At one point the dude even started going through the information in the incorrect order.

He can write research papers but struggles to finish a sentence let alone present a lecture.

Also seems to think that 100% of the class is using old versions of OSX and wants all programs written in Java 6. In reality there are maybe 3 or 4 people running OSX while everyone else is running a version of Linux or Windows.

Easily the worst lecturer I've seen over 8 years of University.
  • Are you going to Bridgewater? I can have similar complaints about my Algos prof.
  • Neito said:

Are you going to Bridgewater? I can have similar complaints about my Algos prof.

No it seems to be an issue that is not constrained by nations, I'm going to the University of Western Australia.
  • That HAS to be a set up.

I mean, the grammar and spelling are just too good for it to be genuine. They TRIED by misspelling government and your, but still...
  • I particularly like the poorly drawn hammer and sickle.
  • Reminds me of that protester with a sign that said something like "fuck freedom of speech."
  • Writing a CV sucks ass, writing cover letters is the worst thing in the world. Its like standing on plug bad.
  • Really? I find them easy. First graph is who you are and why you want to work there, plus any connections you have with the place. Second graph is how you meet the qualifications. Third is extra stuff that shows you go that extra step. End with your signature.
  • I rarely even bother with them, but I just have a format that I sorta follow.
  • Its just a pain in the arse. It ranks up with job applications that have you upload your CV then essentially fill it in again on another form.
  • edited March 2015
    I bought a BD drive for my desktop. Pulled sides off. Can't figure out how to remove existing drive.

Case had four slots on the outside yet there is only one slot for a card on the inside.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Don't you just take 2 screws out and slide the drive out?
  • It ended up being a bunch of hard to reach plastic clips holding the front plastic in place.