This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Natural Selection 2

Comments

• It was a long time coming, but I've reached the point where I wish I was home playing NS2 right now.
    There isn't a moment at work I didn't wish I was at home playing CS1/CS/NS2/ANYTHING.
  • Any chance we can get a NS2 server up in the near future?
  • edited February 2012
    Any chance we can get a NS2 server up in the near future?
    Who is willing to help pay for it? If I get enough moneys from people, I'll set it up.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Any chance we can get a NS2 server up in the near future?
    Who is willing to help pay for it? If I get enough moneys from people, I'll set it up.
    Depending on the amount of monetary units required to fund it, I could pitch in.
  • gameservers.com says they host NS2 servers. $2 per month per slot on a public server, $1.50 per slot per month on a private server. Maximum 16 slots, $32 per month. Don't know how well it works. Hosting it on Amazon would cost > $100 a month, but would be guaranteed to work fully.

Really, the only economical way to do it is for someone with a fast Internet connection, like a college or FIOS, to host it on a spare computer.
  • I'm still looking into a Linode for Tribes 2 but my home situation is pretty bad right now.
  • I'm still looking into a Linode for Tribes 2 but my home situation is pretty bad right now.
    Seems like NS2 doesn't go on Linux without wine. Not paying real money for unsupported pain in the ass.
  • So...is this game playable yet?
    Nah, not until it has achievements and unlockables. No game is playable until I can get a stupid hat.

Nah, not until it has achievements and unlockables. No game is playable until I can get a stupid hat.

So, if I were those guys...

April 1st.

Gorge hats.

So, if I were those guys...

April 1st.

Gorge hats.

Gorge hats in TF2.
  • Gorge hats in TF2.
    Remember you posted this. I wouldn't put it past Valve to cross-promote this game.
  • I played NS2 for the first time in months and it has been working pretty well for me. It has reminded me how much I suck at fades...
  • I think because of a reddit thread and some such that a bunch of newbs have influxed into NS2. This is good and bad.

One is that I am a god now of NS2. I frequently have the most kills on my team, and when I don't I'm second or third.

Two is that now winning is determined by which team has the fewest nubs. Even with even teams, all the nub players may as well not be there. I played a game this morning that looked like it was 6v6, but it was actually 1v3. I was the only alien on my team capable of biting anything. I had double digit kills, and everyone else on my team had 3 or fewer. The marine team was almost just as sad, but they had three good players and a bunch of nubs.

I also learned that I can kinda sorta be the commander. I had never really tried in the past because my RTS skills are low. But in NS you don't have to command the units so much with clicking as with talking. I still had trouble controlling while being the commander, but my knowledge of NS means I can do a sufficient job if the players are competent.
  • edited March 2012
    Well, I finally caved in and bought NS2. Time to be terrible in an entirely new game!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So, this game is really fucking good these days. Build 200 is fantastic. Someone get a server up so we can do a big FRC game.
  • I'm still godawful, but I'm getting slowly better. This game isn't so hard, if I just stay the fuck away from the commander's seat.
  • I'll look into doing just that this weekend. No promises, but I'll see if I can get a reasonably performant server up on my HTPC.
  • New HUD is hot
  • So you guys are saying that it's actually playable? No shitty net code? I'll look into buying it soon if that's the case.
  • I have it waiting to download, and I'll definitely join in if it's finally playable.
  • My system still stutters. On any graphics level.

I like the Halo interface.
  • This looks pretty good now, I might have to buy it soon. Especially if we can get a server up and running.
  • The netcode is still shitty, but the game is at least mostly playable.
  • Playing via localhost means stutters are mostly gone. Playing on High settings does look nice.
  • Netcode isn't that bad these days, at least not if you play on a really low-ping server. I must admit, I have a lot more fun playing alien than I did in the original NS.
  • The whole "250ms" thing is really, really noticeable. The lag time between acting and damage is waaaay too long.
  • edited March 2012
    This one match shows the full Marine arsenal as it stands.

It also shows how letting the marines get any degree of map control is a bad, bad idea.

Haven't tested the latest build yet, hopefully the stutters have gone.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The netcode is still shitty, but the game is at least mostly playable.
    Alright. I'm going to install it and learn the basics. Hopefully we'll have a NS2 server up soon...