This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Natural Selection 2

Comments

• The Onos is super powerful, which doesn't help when you're fighting four at a time. There are some balance issues with it.
  • Played on a server where marine structures are instantly 100% built. They said it was for "testing reasons." Aliens obviously couldn't win. Couldn't even take a res node.
  • I just played some legit NS2. Lag free and extremely fun.
  • I just played some legit NS2. Lag free and extremely fun.
    I had lag because my ping was over 100. The server with low ping was the full.

Does anyone know how to run the server? Know where instructions are? We can run it on EC2 for 17 cents an hour plus bandwidth cost.
  • Perhaps the NS2 wiki can help.
  • Perhaps the NS2 wiki can help.
    Those instructions look like they use the hlds. I thought they switched away from source engine, so how can they use hlds?
  • I seem to recall they still use steam net code? not really sure, this is just what searching about got me.
  • I seem to recall they still use steam net code? not really sure, this is just what searching about got me.
    If they still use Steam net code why does it suuuuuck?
  • edited February 2012
    I seem to recall they still use steam net code? not really sure, this is just what searching about got me.
    Hell if I know - even within games made by valve it varies. The netcode for TF2 certainly seems a lot better than the netcode for CSS, admittedly, not by a huge amount, though it is still noticeable.
    Post edited by Churba on
    Hell if I know - even within games made by valve it varies. The netcode for TF2 certainly seems a lot better than the netcode for CSS, admittedly, not by a huge amount, though it is still noticeable.
    It is true that CS:S is a little laggier than all the other Valve games. However, it might be just because the game is more precise so a tiny bit of lag that wouldn't make any difference in L4D2 makes all the difference in CS:S.

As long as CS: GO is all good...
  • It is true that CS:S is a little laggier than all the other Valve games. However, it might be just because the game is more precise so a tiny bit of lag that wouldn't make any difference in L4D2 makes all the difference in CS:S.

As long as CS: GO is all good...
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, CSS is god emperor of games, noobs for the noob god awps for the awp throne, we get it.
  • Noobs for the noob god. I like that.
  • For the record, I hate the awp and can't hit shit with it. That is my primary reason for losing gungame. I almost won today. I was on grenade round three times, and even got on knife round for a bit before being knifed back to grenade round. I did well because I got lucky and made no-scope awp kills right away, and the maps were good for my style of play. In other games, I usually can't make awp kill for three rounds or so. By then I'm too far behind to win even though I usually get up to pistol rounds.
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah, not a fan myself, either. But when you think of "Famous weapons from counterstrike" the two at the top of the list are the Awp and the deagle, thus they get picked for these sorts of lines.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • For the record, I hate the awp and can't hit shit with it. That is my primary reason for losing gungame. I almost won today. I was on grenade round three times, and even got on knife round for a bit before being knifed back to grenade round. I did well because I got lucky and made no-scope awp kills right away, and the maps were good for my style of play. In other games, I usually can't make awp kill for three rounds or so. By then I'm too far behind to win even though I usually get up to pistol rounds.
    I can't hit anything with the awp either, however many of my friends can. After a lot of spectating, I have a basic understanding of how the hit detection of an awp works, but I just can't execute it very well at all...
  • I'm looking forward to playing when I get back to the US.
  • ns_mineshaft is wicked imbalanced against Marines, but the detail is just amazing.
  • Game's going well at this point, but I still have some complaints.

1. Play is still prone to amazing bursts of lag.
    2. The infantry portal animation looks derpy.
    3. Winning/losing isn't momentous enough, and always seems to come out of nowhere to little fanfare.
    4. Glitchy movement issues occur fairly regularly (caught on rails, re-phased repeatedly by phase gate, dropped structure flips out and gets stuck somewhere weird).
    5. Loading a map takes FOREVER.

It is, however, mostly playable and pretty fun.
  • You forgot to mention that the GL is attached to the gun, so now you can grenade without a skulk just raping you during a slow ass reload.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2012
    You forgot to mention that the GL is attached to the gun, so now you can grenade without a skulk just raping you during a slow ass reload.
    Oh, you want my list of things that are aweome?

1. GL attached to LMG.
    2. GL attached to LMG!
    3. The flashlight/lighting effects are god damned amazing. and the flashlight is actually really useful.
    4. The alien "flashlight" is crazy awesome.
    5. Commander movement orders show a plotted path on the ground! (nubs don't get lost as easily).
    6. FLAMETHROWER.
    7. FLAMETHROWER.
    8. GL ATTACHED TO LMG!!

Post edited by Rym on
  • 1. Dynamic infestation and Marine power node system
    The infestation doesn't do anything for me yet. But then again, I haven't read the documentation, so I'm not sure of its benefits.

Power nodes, though. When the lights go out, and I'm all "SHIIIIIT" as I run around with the flashlight trying to remember where the node is in a particular area, those aregolden moments.
    The infestation doesn't do anything for me yet. But then again, I haven't read the documentation, so I'm not sure of its benefits.
    I'm pretty sure that when you step in the infestation, the aliens know you are there. From what I have seen, marines stay just on the edge of the goop and shoot at the nodes so it will recede before moving forward.
  • edited February 2012
    DI and the power system are the embodiment of map control. Neither side can build any structures in an area without supporting their creep or building power nodes.

Infestation specifically works as sort of a supply system. You need to create chains of cysts in order to expand. No longer are the days were a gorgie can just drop a hive willy-nilly anywhere. The alien com and the gorges must collaborate to expand their infestation to the next hive location. Also, creep prevents marines from dropping structures on the ground. But, if a marine can cut off an entire chain of cysts from the hive, the cut off part dies automatically. Every alien structure must be connected to a hive somehow via a contiguous chain of cysts, otherwise it all dies.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm going to have to reinstall this soon and get playing. If, as it seems, it's possible to play properly now.
  • edited February 2012
    The hive is actually the one building that can be placed without creep (Though it will be undefended until mature and it's producing it's own creep.). I saw one game where the aliens pulled some crazy shenanigans and made a creep chain to a new hive location then dropped a shade before the hive, resulting in the hive being completely invisible while it grew.

I do like the design that has aliens able to move around the map at great speed but their buildings are slow to expand outward while marines are slow moving but can construct in any location at will.

I'd really like to make a snow based map but that means I'd need to make assets.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • One thing, I played on a server that gave marines insta-build. Obviously aliens couldn't even compete. Game is brand new, Y U already fuck with it?
  • Seriously, there is nothing quite like defending a room against multiple skulks when all of the sudden the power goes out and it's pitch black for those few precious seconds until the backup lights turn on. It's so insanely atmospheric.
  • It was a long time coming, but I've reached the point where I wish I was home playing NS2 right now.