This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Who has been spying on my wife andI?
    Actually me was correct.
  • Who has been spying on my wife andI?
    Umm, incorrect correction? "Me" was correct there...
  • edited August 2010
    Technically, Someone and I is the letter-to-the-lawyer proper style but it doesn't lend much to readability.
    Unless you're a toff.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Technically, Someone and I is the letter-to-the-lawyer proper style but it doesn't lend much to readability
    No, it depends on the statement being made.
  • Technically, Someone and I is the letter-to-the-lawyer proper style but it doesn't lend much to readability.
    Except it's in the predicate (I'm reasonably certain; questions get all backwardy sometimes). You wouldn't say "Who has been spying on I?", therefore you wouldn't say "Who has been spying on my wife and I?". "Who has been spying on me?" is proper, and so is "Who has been spying on my wife and me?".
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    Technically, Someone and I is the letter-to-the-lawyer proper style but it doesn't lend much to readability.
    It's "him and I" for the actor, "someone and me" for the acted-upon.

Correct: Scott and I went to the store.
    Correct: The robot attacked Scott and me.
    Correct: The robot attacked me and Scott.

Incorrect: The robot attacked Scott and I.
    Incorrect: Scott and me went to the store.
    Incorrect: Console FPSs with gamepad controllers offer just as much control as PC FPSs with a mouse and keyboard.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It's one of those exceptions the English language has so many of.
    We should just call it Exceptish.
    It's not an exception: its usage is entirely consistent with the non-grouped usage.

You never say "The robot attacked I" or "Me went to the store," so why would you say "The robot attacked Scott and I?"

Perfectly consistent.
  • Not really: me is an object, I is a subject.
  • Then it's a colloquial exception.
  • Incorrect: Console FPSs with gamepad controllers offer just as much control as PC FPSs with a mouse and keyboard.
    I'm disappointed by your lack of cunning. Such obvious bait, really?

Oh, alright, you caught me, this is pretty much what I expect from you now. Whatever. Next time, try a position I've actually argued against, for example, that console FPS's are baby games, or that big whinge about that guy's friend of a friend saying PC is better is evidence of shit-all, rather than one I haven't. Dumbass.
  • Then it's a colloquial exception.
    Not one I see commonly. At best, it's a common error. Not notable, except here, where someone did not make the mistake, but instead went so far as to incorrectly correct another's correct statement.
  • That depends where you are. That's just the way English gets modified.
  • I dunno about you guys, but "Me went to the store" is on my list of frequently used store-going phrases.

Or sometimes me use Fresh Direct.
  • There are some benefits to having grown up with an English major as a mother.
    Yes.
    The answer correct could might have be "Perhaps maybe."
  • I am very tired today, but surprisingly have almost no hangover. Had I slept a full night in addition to drinking, I would have been completely fine.

Also, my drinking was due to post-Scott-Pilgrim celebration.
  • I didn't either. I didn't drink as much as you and I only slept a handful of hours, but I think that taking my vitamin and drinking a lot of water was a good idea before bed.
  • Driving license GET.
  • edited August 2010
    Driving license GET.
    Congo rats!
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Driving license GET.
    Congo rats!
    imageYo. Yo. He's Joe Boomer. Yellow.
  • Driving license GET.
    Congo rats!
    imageYo. Yo. He's Joe Boomer. Yellow.
    Congratulations Joe. Well done.
  • Tomorrow I'm off to the mountains, then to Colombus a few days later, and then, finally, to Chicago. It'll be the first time I've set foot in a city that is an American icon.
  • I found a place to live for $500 a month.
  • So somehow, I managed to trick a girl into having a romantic interest in me. At least for a little bit. :3
  • This is going to go very wrong.