This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• High-five!
  • This is going to go very wrong.
    The trick part was a joke, based on my lack of self confidence. The joke being that no girl would ever have an interest in me.

The joke in this post is that I'm overexplaining a joke that wasn't that funny to begin with.

This post is closed captioned for the sarcasm impaired. tm
  • I thought it was funny :(
  • The trick part was a joke, based on my lack of self confidence. The joke being that no girl would ever have an interest in me.

The joke in this post is that I'm overexplaining a joke that wasn't that funny to begin with.

This post is closed captioned for the sarcasm impaired.tm
    Nah, Omnu is just used to watching my various efforts with the fairer sex, which are less an issue of if they're going to self destruct, but how so and how long.
  • The joke being that no girl would ever have an interest in me.
    Oh, I thought you had gotten into a relationship through deception. It's still likely to go very wrong anyway.
  • The joke being that no girl would ever have an interest in me.
    Oh, I thought you had gotten into a relationship through deception. It's still likely to go very wrong anyway.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, man. Really appreciate it.
  • Oh, I thought you had gotten into a relationship through deception. It's still likely to go very wrong anyway.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, man. Really appreciate it.
    Louis CK has something extremely relevant to say on this matter.
  • Tomorrow I'm off to the mountains, then to Colombus a few days later, and then, finally, to Chicago. It'll be the first time I've set foot in a city that is an American icon.
    Damnit. Someone from the boards finally comes to my city and I'm going to be gone.
  • I put in my two-weeks notice today. Two weeks from now I'll be a full-time comic book artist.
  • edited August 2010
    Enjoy your last two weeks of being able to eat. But seriously, big congratulations.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Omnutia: Buzzkill Champion.

:P
  • It's okay -- he was nice in white text.

Seriously, though, I've got enough savings to eat for a year if I stopped working tomorrow. I should have a lot more savings than that by the time my current project is finished. I think I'll do alright. Giving up the steady job is a big step, and I've been thinking hard on it for a few months now, but I finally decided it's the right time to just go for it.
  • Giving up the steady job is a big step the way to go
    Kudos, you got the skills, hopefully you also have the drive and discipline. Also, remember to whore yourself at every chance you get.
  • It's okay -- he was nice in white text.

Seriously, though, I've got enough savings to eat for a year if I stopped working tomorrow. I should have a lot more savings than that by the time my current project is finished. I think I'll do alright. Giving up the steady job is a big step, and I've been thinking hard on it for a few months now, but I finally decided it's the right time to just go for it.
    Well, we're all cheering for you!

• Seriously, though, I've got enough savings to eat for a year if I stopped working tomorrow. I should have a lot more savings than that by the time my current project is finished. I think I'll do alright. Giving up the steady job is a big step, and I've been thinking hard on it for a few months now, but I finally decided it's the right time to just go for it.
    It's scary, but shit man, it's not like you don't have the chops. Rock and roll, Big man.

P.s - Being freelance doesn't get you out of buying the beer if you lose our fight, boyo.
  • Congratulations! When I quit my last real job to become self employed, I've had nothing but good experiences. But then, when was the last time you heard of anyone quitting their job to follow their passion and going on to regret it?

I did, however, spend all my savings within five months.
  • P.s - Being freelance doesn't get you out of buying the beer if you lose our fight, boyo.
    Oh joy, now I've got the California police to be worried about.
  • Oh joy, now I've got the California police to be worried about.
    No, you don't, because it's a friendly sparring match we challenged each other to ages ago, mixed with a running joke, since the challenge occurred such a long time ago.
  • I'll remember to tell the judge that.
  • Woooo, thanks everyone! Yeah, it's a bit scary not to have the regular paycheck to fall back on, but really, I've only been working at that job one or two days a week for the past year anyway -- most of my money has been coming from drawing, and I'm actually making more per hour drawing anyway. I've got maybe a year left on this huge graphic novel project, and I'm making enough money to save a pretty good amount. When it comes time to find another gig I should be pretty well set for a while even if I can't find work right away.
    But then, when was the last time you heard of anyone quitting their job to follow their passion and going on to regret it?
    Yeah, totally. Shit, I grew up on welfare, I can live on beans and rice if I have to. Whatever happens, I think it'll be worth it.
    P.s - Being freelance doesn't get you out of buying the beer if you lose our fight, boyo.
    Haha, of course not. I'll just have to make sure I don't lose. :) Oh, I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but I don't really drink. I hope that's not weird.
    Oh joy, now I've got the California police to be worried about.
    Fortunately, some of them are my judo training partners. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Haha, of course not. I'll just have to make sure I don't lose. :) Oh, I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but I don't really drink. I hope that's not weird.
    Nah, it's cool, not weird at all. You win, I'll buy you a case of good soda, or a few bottles of really good fruit juice, or something, whatever you prefer. We Tie, We'll just exchange beer and soda/juice/whatever.

It's going to be a tricky one, though - In theory, your ground game is much stronger than mine, right now, but my standing game is possibly somewhat stronger. It's advantage you, at the moment, because either way, it would go to the mat eventually, and at that point, your advantage has gone up, and I'm going to have to work a hell of a lot harder to win. I'm working on that, though. Right now, I'd put my money on you, realistically, but not enough that it'd seriously dent my wallet, in case of an upset.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Congratulations, man. I'm really excited for you.
  • It's going to be a tricky one, though - In theory, your ground game is much stronger than mine, right now, but my standing game is possibly somewhat stronger. It's advantage you, at the moment, because either way, it would go to the mat eventually, and at that point, your advantage has gone up, and I'm going to have to work a hell of a lot harder to win. I'm working on that, though. Right now, I'd put my money on you, realistically, but not enough that it'd seriously dent my wallet, in case of an upset.
    Well, in any case, it'll certainly be fun to find out. Anyway, I propose that whenever we get around to it, we make it an official FRCF SoCal meetup/party at my house.
  • Awesome: "Every Day is Sunday" by The Slackers, one of my favorite Ska Bands, is on Rock Band Network.

Absolute mega-fail: Rock Band Network is still not available in my country :(
    We finally have decent ads on this forum! WHOOOOO!!!
  • Massive email cleanout. Most of it was automated with filtering that I had before, so I essentially did a ctrl+a and delete. Empty inboxes are awesome.
  • Massive email cleanout. Most of it was automated with filtering that I had before, so I essentially did a ctrl+a and delete. Empty inboxes are awesome.
    This is so true. Doing the Inbox Zero thing has changed the way I work and spend time on the internet. As soon as I see an email, I deal with it immediately. Most is labeled automagically by gmail, and I archive it as soon as I read it (shortcut e). Other email doesn't even reach my inbox, but is saved in case I need to read it later.

Merlin Mann talks about how the inbox has become a To-Do list, plus a means of communication, a way for anyone in the world to interrupt you and take your time, plus loads of other things too. By managing it properly, you free up so much time and energy and anxiety. I really feel this now, because when I'm traveling, sometimes I have as many as 20 emails in my inbox, with maybe 5 that need a response. Just that makes me feel daunted.
  • Last night I played Scrabble for the first time in maybe seven years. I won quite handily with a score of 300 (against two other players). It seems my old strategy still works, even though I don't remember many words. I played two seven letter words, and I used to play three seven letter words per game.

The trick is to collect these seven letters - A E I N R S T - and play away the more "valuable" letters in short words that fuck up the other player. Those seven letters make up loads of different words. Also, any six of those letters, plus any other seventh letter, will probably make a word too. I played SEARING and PIRATES, both over triple word scores.

I've got to be careful though, because I might go through another two month Scrabble-obsessive binge like I did when I was last single and living alone...
  • edited August 2010
    I found a place to live for $500 a month.
    Without roomates? Wow!

@Funfetus: You are AMAZING!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Without roomates? Wow!
    Heavens no, it's a room in a basement, doesn't even have a kitchen.