This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Get someone small to hold it so it looks even bigger.
    That's what she said.
  • Natalie and me celebrated 6 years together this weekend. We went up a mountain and stayed in a house that's been around since the 18th century, and had tons of fun. Feeling pretty good! :)
  • Just got settled in to the condo in Hawaii for a week.
  • Just got settled in to the condo in Hawaii for a week.
    I would live in a van if it meant I could spend my life in Hawaii. Seriously. I am so envious.
  • If I didn't have a mortgage and a house to offload in a terrible housing market, I would just move here.
  • After at least a year of endless attempts I finally managed to beat my personal high score on Expert Drums for Ride the Lightning in Rock Band.
  • After at least a year of endless attempts I finally managed to beat my personal high score on Expert Drums for Ride the Lightning in Rock Band.
    So you can play the drums for real now? I ask this honestly because he drums are the only fake instruments that have a transferable skill set.
  • edited August 2010
    My coworker showed me this. I have yet to listen to it, but I think I found a metal band targeted directly at me.

Fall of Efrafa - Watership Down Metal!
    Unfortunately, their site is down for some reason. I link to a blog.

(edit: Oops, wrong thread.)
    Post edited by gomidog on
    So you can play the drums for real now? I ask this honestly because he drums are the only fake instruments that have a transferable skill set.
    "Playing the drums for real" is kinda vague. I tried out a bit on the drum set of a friend about a month ago and he said I was doing pretty good for someone who never sat before a real drum set, but I definitely wouldn't fancy myself a drummer by any means. The skills do seem transferable, but of course there is still practice involved. I was actually kinda intimidated by the real thing.
    "Playing the drums for real" is kinda vague. I tried out a bit on the drum set of a friend about a month ago and he said I was doing pretty good for someone who never sat before a real drum set, but I definitely wouldn't fancy myself a drummer by any means. The skills do seem transferable, but of course there is still practice involved. I was actually kinda intimidated by the real thing.
    Pretty much. Likewise, I naturally gravitated to the drums when I first got Rock Band two years ago, but when I was actually put in front of a drum set and tried to do stuff with a couple friends, I had no clue what I was doing. They also said that I did pretty good for having never used one, but I didn't really learn how to play decently until I started taking lessons this year. Beyond getting used to the positioning of different parts, the hardest part is mentally breaking yourself away from needing a visual aid. You have to learn to keep time and memorize charts, using only audio cues if you have any at all. But in terms of training your body to use at least three of your limbs to do different things, RB is a good place to start.
    Also - the next iteration Rockband is coming out with the option of a Guitar which isn't just a plastic instrument, but an actual full blown guitar with a midi controller built in, and theoretically, should work with any guitar which you can use as a Midi controller. Reportedly, they're even structuring it so that you can learn guitar - or at least, the songs they release for the game - through the game.
  • Also - the next iteration Rockband is coming out with the option of a Guitar which isn't just a plastic instrument, but an actual full blown guitar with a midi controller built in, and theoretically, should work with any guitar which you can use as a Midi controller. Reportedly, they're even structuring it so that you can learn guitar - or at least, the songs they release for the game - through the game.
    Yessss! So stoked ^.^ I haven't touched my guitar in a couple months, so it'll give me more motivation to get back to it.
    Also - the next iteration Rockband is coming out with the option of a Guitar which isn't just a plastic instrument, but an actual full blown guitar with a midi controller built in, and theoretically, should work with any guitar which you can use as a Midi controller. Reportedly, they're even structuring it so that you can learn guitar - or at least, the songs they release for the game - through the game.
    The piano peripheral is what's got me stoked.
  • I'm going to the doctor today and will likely get another injection into my spine! Woo!
  • Pain meds already kicking in?
  • This comic is beyond perfect. ^_^
  • Agreed.
    Doubly agreed.
  • Agreed.
    Doubly agreed.
    Triple agree.
  • Agreed.
    Doubly agreed.
    Triple agree.
    Disagreed! While I agree with the sentiments, I don't think that's a very good definition of growing up.
  • *opens trap door beneath Funfetus*
    *unleashes the sharks*
    *unleashes the sharks*
    *Ensures they are sharks with lasers*
  • edited August 2010
    Wait a second, these are just mutant sea-bass.

I'm with Funfetus on this one, what he's describing is important, but his choice of words is inaccurate.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Also the art does nothing for me.
  • Somehow, my computer's ram usage after the latest update to XP dropped by 200 megabytes, making everything fast again. Either A) Some engineer at Microsoft fixed some weird old bug that happened to be making my computer suck, or B) I had malware on my machine that's now not loading because the latest security patch prevents it from doing so.

I really, really hope it's not B.
  • Actually, re-reading it, it has some really bad writing.

Eg: "... just club me like a baby seal." First, is seal clubbing meant to be okay? Do you only not do it because what other people think of you? Second, is the victim or the clubber meant to be a baby seal? If the clubbee, it should read something like "just club like you would a baby seal." As it is, it reads as though baby seals are known for wielding clubs.

Also, the dialogue flows like shit. It's meant to be a conversation, but the attributed text doesn't switch back and forth. Eg: the line "How do you know?" is just left hanging. Here's my version.

"Do you think we'll ever grow up?"

"Nope."

"How about when I graduate? Or when we get a place together?"

"That's not growing up; that's just accepting responsibility. Growing up is hitting the point where you stop doing what you want because of what others might think. Growing up is not a loss youth; it's a loss of self."

"If I ever hit that point, club me like I'm a baby seal."

"I love you."

With director's commentary:

"Do you think we'll ever grow up?" - No "So" needed.

"Nope." - This is the only line that doesn't need changing.

"How about when I graduate? Or when we get a place together?" - This is hard to rewrite, as the first question was about the future, and the original line seems to imply graduating was in the past. The problem is that the question is very ambiguous. Is it about IF they will grow up, WHEN they will or might have grown up, or HOW does the person KNOW the answer to these other questions?

"That's not growing up; that's just accepting responsibility." - All this needed was correct punctuation instead of, you know, no punctuation.

"Growing up is hitting the point where you stop doing what you want because of what others might think. Growing up is not a loss youth; it's a loss of self." - Of course, the comic only exists because the writer wanted a character to say these two lines. If they cared about writing, they would have stripped out all the redundant words to make it as snappy as possible. I've removed the ellipses from the end. They aren't needed, and if I was writing the comic, I'd attribute the next line to the other character.

"If I ever hit that point, club me like I'm a baby seal." - In the previous panel, growing up was about hitting a point, not a state where you end up. Here I've cleared up that conflict. I've also cleared up the ambiguity of the seal clubbing. However, I'm still not sure about the image of someone clubbing a baby seal while walking into a toy store. Either this is sloppy writing, or the message of this comic is REALLY dark.

"I love you." - This line is fine, but the attribution should be switched here too.

Luke's Conclusion:

This comic is very, very, very far from beyond perfect.
  • Far beyond perfect, huh?
  • This comic is beyond perfect. ^_^
    Who has been spying on my wife and me?
  • Who has been spying on my wife and I?