This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Photos

Comments

My drill is the drill that shall pierce the HEAVENS!
  • Just playing around with macro shots, didn't spend any time on composition, just dumped some dice and tried to get a decent photo. Could have been much better, though I'm really happy with the colours.
  • Crossing the equator on a cruise ship is a good excuse for a party! The King Neptune ceremony is a fun spectacle for the guests, and a chance to haze new crew members who have never crossed the equator on a ship before.

It involves judges, pirates, mermaids, doctors and nurses, and other dressing up. The band plays everyone in with a march. Then, after the cast is introduced, they march in the "pollywogs", the crew members who haven't crossed the equator yet.

They pollywogs are let out of the prison according to department (deck, entertainers, bar staff, front office, cast, spa, etc) and are accused by the judge (fictional crimes). Then King Neptune announces the punishment, ever more disgusting interactions with the fish (kiss, lick, suck, french kiss, lick the eye, etc). Then every pollywog is covered in dish water and goo. Finally the officers put thumbs up or down, and the pollywogs either get to wash off in the pool right away, or sit to bake in the sun.

I was asked to be a pirate, but in the end I opted to take photos. I missed the very start due to forgetting to put the battery in my camera, but had a lot of fun capturing the event. The cruise director shared the photos on the internal ship network, and it's been very satisfying hearing all the compliments from all the crew who took part and liked my photos.

• A macro lens is so amazing. You can actually take decent pictures of small things up close. I never realized it, but most of the time I take pictures, that's what I'm trying to do, and failing.

This is as close as you can get with my 20mm lens, which is for generic picture taking of people and places.

Macro lens.

I could have gotten closer, but then the entire dinosaur wouldn't have been in the picture.

Here are some action shots of tonight's board gaming activity.

• That looks like a high quality session of Marrakech.
  • Holy fuck resize those images before linking to them. I have broadband and it just took over a minute to download those five images, and they don't automatically resize until they are all downloaded. And fuuuuucking hell, three of them are the same.
  • Holy fuck resize those images before linking to them. I have broadband and it just took over a minute to download those five images, and they don't automatically resize until they are all downloaded. And fuuuuucking hell, three of them are the same.
    Loads instantly for me.

Loads instantly for me.

Of course, because they are already in your cache having preloaded when you first looked at them. Now I've loaded this page a second time they loaded instantly too, but I'm not looking forward to loading this page on my iPhone.

Loads instantly for me.

Of course, because they are already in your cache having preloaded when you first looked at them. Now I've loaded this page a second time they loaded instantly too, but I'm not looking forward to loading this page on my iPhone.

I was on my iPhone.

• Jesus fuck those images are too large, when I am scrolling down the page, my browser slows down due to the load. We compress images for a reason.
  • What is wrong with your people's computers? I've looked at it on my iPhone and three separate computers, no problem.
  • It's a moot point now, they're on the previous page for me. They are still however ridiculously large.
  • If I have learned one thing from this thread it is that Luke is the most awesome fucking photographer in the world. Some of these photographs look like they came straight out of National Geographic. Dude, you rock.
  • Those pictures are way too big to hotlink raw here.
  • I'm with Scott. My computer, phone, tablet, etc always resizes the images to fit perfectly.
  • Soon you will be complete...
  • That's looking great.
  • Steve, thanks for your compliments! I work very hard at improving my photography. I have no dream of ever taking photos for a magazine like National Geographic, just to keep on improving at my hobby.
  • Scott, if you are taking a photo with a shallow depth of field (which is usual with a macro lens) ALWAYS have the EYES of the subject in sharp focus. In your robot photo the crotch is the thing most in focus, and you really don't want that.
  • Scott, if you are taking a photo with a shallow depth of field (which is usual with a macro lens) ALWAYS have the EYES of the subject in sharp focus. In your robot photo the crotch is the thing most in focus, and you really don't want that.
    Good advice! I was trying to get the entire robot in focus, but nothing else. That's why the crotch is in focus because I was trying to get as much robot as possible.
  • The best way to do that is adjust the f-stop on your lens to about 8 rather than 3.6 (or whatever you have now). Get the eyes in focus, and then tip the camera itself until the rest of the body is in the same focal plane as the eyes. It's tricky, but turns your photos from amateur hour into something passable as a product shot.
  • You may want to use manual focus as well, because it is always tricky to get the auto focus to pick exactly what you want.
  • You may want to use manual focus as well, because it is always tricky to get the auto focus to pick exactly what you want.
    Yeah, I've been trying both. My camera actually has a touch screen, and you can touch exactly what you want to focus on. It actually works.
  • I wrote a long blog post about all the photography gear I regularly use here.

It begins:

As I get better at photography, and share more of my photos, many people ask me what camera I use. Many photographers take this as an insult, as in "You don't ask a good cook what oven he uses" or "You don't ask a good pianist what kind of piano she uses..." Personally I take it as a compliment!

So I've decided to make a single blog post where I list all my photography gear. The above photo includes all the gear and bags I use regularly, but instead of the rest of the blog post being a boring list, I've decided to give it a different spin. I'm going to list my gear by how important it has been to me in the pursuit of improving as a photographer.

Why? If you are new photography, buying an expensive camera isn't going to help. Instead you need the smaller things that most lists like this push to the end or neglect entirely.

And if you are already a pro-level photographer, and know all about gear, my choice of camera body is hardly unique. The more subtle things will explain my photography mindset far more clearly...

• I have only ever taken one picture I was proud of -- perhaps because I don't understand lighting -- but I will post it here:
  • edited January 2012
    A fun photo project idea: take a portrait photo of everyone at a small juggling convention. What shall I do with the photos? No idea. I'll think of something.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Face swapping comes to mind.
  • Print them tiny, put them in small plastic balls, then juggle them.
  • Thanks Luke. I paid for Lightroom. Super discount on Amazon. Over $100 off. This might be the only good Adobe product I've ever seen. I'll probably use it forever.