This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Photos

Comments

• Lawl, takes United Stateseans to set off fireworks below skyscraper level? Some ugly artefacting on the lights though. Did you get a wide angle lens, Apreche?
  • There are millions of people on the other side of the river who could see everything fine. They're tall skyscrapers ;^)
  • Lawl, takes United Stateseans to set off fireworks below skyscraper level? Some ugly artefacting on the lights though. Did you get a wide angle lens, Apreche?
    The fireworks were not below skyscraper level. They were simply on the other side of the island. Macy's is being jerks and keeps showing the fireworks to New Jersey. The lens is the same 20mm lens I use almost all the time. It's kind of wide, but not crazy wide. The artifacting is just because my camera just isn't the greatest.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_20_1p7_o20
  • There are millions of people on the other side of the river who could see everything fine. They're tall skyscrapers ;^)
    All the more reason to set off some awesome fireworks from the top of them! And take a picture of that.
    The fireworks were not below skyscraper level. They were simply on the other side of the island.
    All the fireworks in your picture came short of clearing those skyscrapers.
  • I guess it takes a European to not understand perspective or the vanishing horizon effect.

Seriously, dude, did America rape your mom or something? Why always the uber-national prejudice?
  • Jason, you should know me better than that already. Stop flipping the serious sign in your posts.
  • I have a cheap Sanyo VPC-E1500TP LB camera that I picked up about a year or two ago. My daughter likes to do macro photography and I tried letting her use my camera.

For the most part we set it to macro and after a lot of fiddling with the settings we got it to work great. When we turned it on again the next day the settings all look the same but when the camera focuses in it focuses perfectly and then goes just a little bit past and becomes blurry.

Any suggestions?
  • Can you set it to manual focus? If so, that might be the go, rather than relying on the autofocus - or you could allow it to auto-focus, and adjust as necessary.
  • edited July 2012
    Met Churba today. He was just hanging around. Not the kinda guy I thought he'd be. Marsupial, sure, but so lazy.

I didn't have a telephoto lens with me, so the above shot turned out crappy. Here's the obligatory butterfly close-up.

And of course you expected one of Rylin. Duh, and/or hello.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • In my defense, I was off my face on Eucalyptus.
  • Balloons or grapes?
    P1040593.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    In my defense, I was off my face on Eucalyptus.
    Bought some pure shit this weekend you might be interested in.

Gum nuts is where all the good stuff is.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Got some neutral density filters. Going to take long exposure shots when lights are on. Also going to try to catch lightning again next time have a chance. Also, got a polarization filter, so we'll see how that works.
  • edited April 2013
    Here are some photos I took while biking this past weekend. I tried pretty hard to get pictures of ants with the macro lens, but it was very difficult without lights, even with the bright sunlight and clear sky. When you have a camera very close to the ground, not much light gets under it to bounce back up into the lens even when you are careful about where you cast your shadow. I also failed at luring a bunch of ants using an M&M, a peanut, and a raisin. I noticed the ants seemed to be more interested in taking dirt out of their tunnel than bringing food in. In one of the photos, the ant was carrying a tiny dirt clump out of his hole.

P1050349.jpg
    P1050344.jpg
    P1050337.jpg
    P1050332.jpg
    P1050314.jpg
    P1050313.jpg
    P1050286.jpg
    P1050211.jpg
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • even with the bright sunlight and clear sky
    It can actually be easier when it's overcast. Bright, diffuse light from every point in the sky, instead of just a giant yellow light bulb.
  • even with the bright sunlight and clear sky
    It can actually be easier when it's overcast. Bright, diffuse light from every point in the sky, instead of just a giant yellow light bulb.
    The other problem is that I didn't have any kind of tripod, so I couldn't increase the exposure time. Also, the ant moves fast, so I can't increase the exposure time. With such a high shutter speed I had to keep the aperture open, which means super shallow depth of field. So if the ant was a centimeter further or closer, it was out of focus. If I wanted to close the aperture, I needed a lot more light to shine on that ant hill.
  • The ant photo is fine. Much better than most macro photography I've seen. Most people put as much as possible OUT of focus, when the point is to have the whole of the subject in focus, and anything not the subject out of focus to draw attention to the subject. Time and time you see a little part of the ant (or whatever) in focus, but then important parts of it like the eye out of focus.
  • The ant photo is fine. Much better than most macro photography I've seen. Most people put as much as possible OUT of focus, when the point is to have the whole of the subject in focus, and anything not the subject out of focus to draw attention to the subject. Time and time you see a little part of the ant (or whatever) in focus, but then important parts of it like the eye out of focus.
    That was the only shot where the ant was focused. It's really really hard. Even when you've got him just right, he'll move. You can even see the antenna are a little blurry.
  • But that is the only shot you shared. Lesson learned.
  • Here, enjoy some blurry mandibles.

• Have fun with this one kids. Took it with GoPro.

• This is asking for an 'Attack On..' version
  • I learned how to make animated gifs. Watch out.

• Video>frames>gif

cinemagraphs are the best to make though, abit more Photoshopping involved though.
  • Video>frames>gif

cinemagraphs are the best to make though, abit more Photoshopping involved though.
    I am aware of them. I think I am capable of doing it. I just need photos where enough parts are still.

• Hard to do if you're not using a tripod, which makes it difficult to take a candid shot.

What you can do, like when taking group photos, when it comes to the "say cheese" moment, you press the record button.

I need to shutup and post some pictures!