This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Where do you find all these historical brew recipes?
    Books, mostly. You have to do a fair amount of digging, and usually a degree of interpretation - a process we call "redaction." Academic books are good for their bibliographies, too.

You often have to get creative about where you look, and piece together information from multiple sources. There are some well-known sources that serve as the entry point, but doing it "right" usually requires more poking.

The Martha Washington Booke of Cookery is a popular one, though its appropriateness for pre-1600's brewing is questionable.

The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby is where most brewers start, because it's readily available. Mostly for mead, though.

But yeah, you find most beer recipes in homemaker-type texts.

• Suck my magnificent dick, motherfuckers:

• You first.
  • You first.
    LET ME HAVE MY MOMENT
  • Having your own bottle must be a lot more satisfying that the 2oz we got at the beerfest during PAX.
  • I guess, but it's still unopened. Opens up when I get my doctorate.
  • I'd be happy just to have it. But that is certainly a special occasion beverage.
  • edited August 2012
    I guess, but it's still unopened. Opens up when I get my doctorate.
    And gets emptied that night.

How much longer have you got?

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • 3-4ish years.
  • Walked into a local liquor store on a whim; came away with a Sam Adams Cinder Bock. Essentially, it's a doppelbock made with smoked malt.

I really enjoyed it; it's dark and malty, with a strong smoky flavor overlaid.
  • initial labor day plans:
  • edited September 2012
    Study: Bacon Sandwiches cure hangovers.

I'd like to point out two things:

1) This study was done at my alma mater in the UK.
    2) While there, after a night of way too much absinthe that left me with an unimaginably bad hangover, I made this exact conjecture on the amines in a bacon sandwich (without knowing about the ongoing study) to my flatmate--while eating a huuuuuuge bacon sandwich. I know my shit, bros.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I still have a 2+ pound chunk of untrimmed pork loin in my freezer. Time to make rashers.
  • You're gonna need another freezer soon.
  • I've finally decided on beer labels. I'm going to use Hans Holbein's Dance of Death woodcuts and just name the beer after the woodcut (things like The Abbot, The King, The Soldier, etc.)

Wikicommons has really nice scans I'm going to use.

Also thinking about dipping the tops of each one in a colored wax to make it easier to identify.
  • edited October 2012
    I haven't posted here on a while, but my need to talk about beer has peaked recently, since I found a new beer store where I live. Really small place, but they have great selection, cheaper than my normal place, and a loyalty program!

I would ask, have you guys noticed any particular differences with organic beers and regular ones? It's kind of fascinating to learn the different techniques of certain breweries and in terms of organic I've really come to enjoy Wolaver's Wildflower Wheat and Oatmeal Stout (Incredible stout, and cheap!)

Stillwater is also a really nice brewery, loved hearing about the history of it, and Cellar Door is the best herb flavored beer I've ever had. (Has a very strong, lovely sage flavor).

And also, I have to display the podcast I've been listening to that really puts me in a beer mood and has taught me a lot of interesting beer knowledge: http://thebeerists.com/ (I've met 3 of them, they really helped me with recommendations I got in Austin)

Extra Small Note: Wegman's has such an awesome beer selection...
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Not only have I not noticed a difference, I also find the concept of organic beer to be ludicrous.
  • I also find the concept of organic beer to be ludicrous.
  • I also find the concept of organic beer to be ludicrous.
  • That's it. Fuck anything and everything relating to pumpkin and beer.
  • That's it. Fuck anything and everything relating to pumpkin and beer.
    Fuck you. Pumpkin ales are the greatest thing to happen to autumn since deciduous trees.
  • I could recreate any pumpkin ale on the market right now by just eating a teaspoon of pumpkin spice and washing it down with a shitty brown ale.
  • That's because most pumpkin ales don't use any pumpkin - they just use the spices. If you use actual pumpkin in the mash (and some in the boil), you get a fuller, starchier beer.

Heavy Seas Bourbon-Barrel Aged Greater Pumpkin is officially my favorite. It's fantastic, but it's a tough one to finish on your own.

I should redo Peter Peter Pumpkin Drinker, and omit the chlorophenols this time.
  • Any of you brewmaster guys ever try and make a batch of hard cider? My Dad bought himself a Mr Beer kit and some other tools like a hydrometer. He made a batch of Octoberfest that came with the Mr Beer kit and made batch of hard cider as well. Its going to take at least 2 weeks before its drinkable.
  • Any of you brewmaster guys ever try and make a batch of hard cider? My Dad bought himself a Mr Beer kit and some other tools like a hydrometer. He made a batch of Octoberfest that came with the Mr Beer kit and made batch of hard cider as well. Its going to take at least 2 weeks before its drinkable.
    I'll be taking my first crack at it shortly. A friend has an apple grinder and cider press, and we got the apples for free from a local orchard.

• My friend is trying to make some right now.
  • I'll be taking my first crack at it shortly. A friend has an apple grinder and cider press, and we got the apples for free from a local orchard.
    Dad didn't go the route of grinding his own apples. He bought a couple of bottles of Simply Apple. He knows its a shortcut and mentioned how there should really be no preservatives in the apple cider. My Mom and me are the only ones that drink so we are going to be the guinea pigs in his brew making.