This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Watch. Learn. Repeat.
  • Y'all need to get Untappd accounts so I can socially share my grad school induced beer consumption.
  • So it's like facebook for beer lovers?
  • I have Untappd - I just need to remember to use it. Beer sort of impairs that.
  • edited October 2012
    I'll be taking my first crack at it shortly. A friend has an apple grinder and cider press, and we got the apples for free from a local orchard.
    Post edited by no fun girl on

• Gary Bettman Bitter - Lockout Edition
  • HOLY SHIT. I HAVE BEEN STRUCK BY A MOMENT OF GENIUS.

BEER BREWED SOUS VIDE

I wonder if it would work...
  • What exactly do you mean?
  • edited October 2012
    You mean keeping the beer at exact optimum growth temperature for yeast using a thermal circulator pump or something?

That's not really sous vide brewing so much as laboratory bulk culture.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2012
    No boil. Add full water amount, grain, hop additions into a food grade bag and seal. Raise temp and mash then finish at whatever temp/time combo to kill all bacteria. No sparge. Strain grain and hop residuals, pitch and ferment.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No gas exchange. The bags would burst.
  • edited October 2012
    No gas exchange. The bags would burst.
    What gas exchange would there be? I think you are vastly misunderstanding me. After the sous vide of the wort, I would add it to a carboy/bucket and ferment normally from there. There aren't going to be any yeast in the bag during the process, so no CO2 will be expelled (also, they would more than likely die)... Besides, optimal ale yeast temp is around 60-70F anyways.

The major difference is that without a hot break, the proteins will remain in the wort. It'd definitely give the brew an extremely creamy texture, but I wonder what effect it would have on the bittering of the hops addition. I'd also probably have to be some sort of SMaSH.

EDIT: After some reading, there is some talk about no-boil for Berliner Weisse. Gonna look into it.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I realized, looking through my fridge and cabinets, I have 23 different beers in my house. @_@; I need more people to share some beer with.
  • edited October 2012
    No boil. Add full water amount, grain, hop additions into a food grade bag and seal. Raise temp and mash then finish at whatever temp/time combo to kill all bacteria. No sparge. Strain grain and hop residuals, pitch and ferment.
    So you want a RIMS with a hopped mash and an unboiled fermentation?

Edit: Don't put the hops in the mash - make a tea and add them separately.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Andrew, this definitely sounds like it's worth a small scale experiment.
  • Also, as long as you mash for an hour, a typical mash profile is well within the FDA's specificiations for LTLT (low temp long time) pasteurization.
  • edited October 2012
    Any of you brewmaster guys ever try and make a batch of hard cider? My Dad bought himself a Mr Beer kit and some other tools like a hydrometer. He made a batch of Octoberfest that came with the Mr Beer kit and made batch of hard cider as well. Its going to take at least 2 weeks before its drinkable.
    I'll be taking my first crack at it shortly. A friend has an apple grinder and cider press, and we got the apples for free from a local orchard.

So yeah, that apple grinder? It's totally a grape crusher.

Fortunately, I had grunt labor and a food processor.

If you're wondering, it takes about 3 hours to pulp 2 bushels of apples in a food processor - and it'll get you ~4.5 gallons of cider.

Today's lesson: buy the damn cider.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Fortunately, I had grunt labor and a food processor.

If you're wondering, it takes about 3 hours to pulp 2 bushels of apples in a food processor - and it'll get you ~4.5 gallons of cider.

Today's lesson: buy the damn cider.
    Yeah, we did this once. Except with Philip and a cheesecloth. But it was damn tasty.
  • Need a cider press or else don't even bother. That's nuts.
  • Phil has some hand strength. Pete can attest.
  • So do I but I'm not gonna sit around pressing apples for hours. That's a value/time ratio that doesn't work for me at all.
  • It wouldn't shock me if Phil could crush apples in his hands.
  • Yeah...I'm just going to take a ferm bucket up to an orchard...
  • It wouldn't shock me if Phil could crush apples in his hands.
    WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS?

Oh FUCK, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I think this is one of those "NASA spent millions developing a space pen" things.
  • I'm confused. What's a ferm bucket (I get that it probably stands for fermentation, but..) and how does it preclude apple crushing?
  • edited October 2012
    Also, you can make a halfway decent cider press for the price of a 3-ton hydraulic car jack and some lumber, a bucket, and pipe fittings.
    I'm confused. What's a ferm bucket (I get that it probably stands for fermentation, but..) and how does it preclude apple crushing?
    Bring your ferm bucket to the apple orchard and have them just fill it with fresh cider from their industrial press. Clamp a lid on it, drive it home, start your ferm.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Ah. Sounds expensive.