This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• I'll buy ARMA for FRCF DayZ.
  • I would also consider throwing down for that.
  • DayZ servers get full pretty fast last time I checked. Dunno if you want to password it up if you want FRC members a chance to join.
  • I'm in only if we have a break dance competition.
  • I'll buy ARMA for FRCF DayZ.
    Me too.
  • Alright, looks like the votes are in. I'm setting it up as a DayZ server for now. The server name is "Front Row Crew - NYC" and IP address is 72.26.196.66:2902. There is a Teamspeak 3 server at ts3.defconservers.com:10070. I'm Keats on both, and both are currently set up to have 10 slots. I'll increase this if we hit the limit.

The server should be up and running in an hour or so.
  • By the by, the server password is "geeknights". It's still being set up.
  • Oh fuck it alright I'm in.
  • Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I have almost no reasons not to get ARMA now...
  • I started playing Mario Kart 7 again and I'm trying to get 3 stars in all of the cups. For some reason, 150 CC Mushroom Cup is giving me so much trouble. I've 3-starred all of the other ones besides Star and Special.
  • !50 CC Mario Kart usually seems pretty broken and disproportionately hard if I remember correctly.
  • I'll join in on the arma server eventually. I might also invite some friends.
  • That server isn't working for me. Am I missing something, or is it broked?
  • Been playing God of War: Chains of Olympus, the PS3 version. I forgot how much I love that franchise.
  • That server isn't working for me. Am I missing something, or is it broked?
    He said it's still being set up. Right now it won't get past "waiting for host".
  • Soul Calibur 5 changed just about everything from Soul Calibur 4. I have still yet to determine whether it's better or not.
  • The story mode, such as it is, is better in 5, and there are fewer characters who can just keep knocking you down with their super long reach weapons. I say improvement
  • I have yet to even touch the story mode for it. Honestly I find it sort of pointless in a fighting game.
  • edited June 2012
    Hmm. It seems the DayZ devs are blacklisting any passworded server, which means it's basically impossible to run a private game of DayZ. I guess that's money down the drain.

EDIT: Since I have it for another month, I think I might set up ACE2 on it. Anyone interested?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • You can lock the server so that no one can join, but it's not actually passworded. Not the best solution since it requires someone with admin access to lock and unlock the server.
  • Hmm. It seems the DayZ devs are blacklisting any passworded server, which means it's basically impossible to run a private game of DayZ.
    Can someone more informed than I please explain why this is not a complete load of horseshit?
  • Since all DayZ characters are stored in on a central database that can be accessed by any server running DayZ, I think they wish to prevent private servers being used for glitching or nefarious purposes.
  • DayZ developers are really crabby about who gets to do what with their mod. They might have eased up since I last checked, but there is no way to host a DayZ server without going through some sort of approved hosting service. I have tried emailing the devs themselves about hosting, but they have posted server requirements which are quite large for any home user. They have also personally said to me, "I'm afraid we are only looking for 24/7 public hosts at the moment."
  • DayZ developers are really crabby about who gets to do what with their mod.
    Which is a bit odd, considering that DayZ could not exist if the ARMA devs were that crabby, no?
  • edited June 2012
    DayZ was created as a side project by an employee of BIS (the studio that makes ArmA) named Dean "Rocket" Hall, who is also the lead developer for multiplayer code on ArmA3. They are very crabby because it's still very much beta alpha and will more than likely be integrated into paid ArmA content in the future.

Also,
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Still no excuse for crabbiness of that scale.
  • Well, there actually is an excuse. All characters made on any server running DayZ are stored on a shared database. This means if I log off on server x and then join server y I'll be at the same place, with the same gear, as when I logged off server x. This has led to some weird practices, such as people changing servers when under attack, moving behind where their opponent was on a different server and then joining the old server, essentially teleporting. If people were able to run private servers, they'd essentially have a safe heaven from other bandits to gain a leg up on people without access to private servers. Also, the experience is significantly diminished if you played in a walled garden.
  • It has also lead to the practice of being unable to play the game because the master server was overloaded. It was worse before when everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. Whatever client/hosting server/master server system they got going feels really finicky, and during the mod's early growing pains you just had to hope that you could connect. If everyone could host their own server than it would make connection issues much more worse.
  • That sounds like an architectural problem in the game itself. Clearly there's a desire to play in semi-walled gardens, and the game's architecture appears to be fundamentally fragile.
  • I actually met a guy who has a patent on technology that allows people to run their own servers, but to have characters certified and transferred between official servers only.

He wanted to use it in a sleazy way to charge people to run officially blessed dedicated servers. However, the same technology could be used to prevent cheating in a stateful game that also allows players to run their own servers.