This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Forced fire-fights? I've only had to fight the first boss so-far.
  • edited May 2012
    It's a pretty major spoiler if I told you how you avoid it.

Also, Zhao Yun Ru is actually voiced (In English) by the Japanese voice of Major Kusanagi. Which is a real shame, given the number of Chinese accents in that game, I wasn't expecting a cannonball run.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2012
    Recently, my cousin said he wanted to play Click'm 2, but didn't want to pay $20 for it. So after looking into less than legal ways to play Click'm 2 on Battle.net, I found out that Blizzard is pretty damn good at keeping obvious frauds out of their system. It seems like my cousin is going to have to shell out $20 bucks to play the game online, which I personally would not do. However, although I do know all the flaws of Click'm 2, I daresay, that game is still fun for some reason. :-)
    It's no surprise, but I'm a complete dumbass. There are more than plenty of ways to play the game online without going through Battle Net. So now my cousin and I are going to play it tomorrow, illegal-ish, yea!

Post edited by Clockian on
  • Just beat Unreal 1. Some nice old school action, but I had to force myself past the first hour and the end kind of dragged on for half an hour too long. Really nice atmosphere though.
  • Dead rising 2: off the record adds awesome co-op to the game
    I though the original had co-op, or is there some sort of better co-op?
    Maybe I'm mistaken about DR2, but off the record lets you play as Chuck and Frank through a slightly different version of the DR2 story online with a friend or strangers.
  • Mario Tennis Open is pretty fun.
  • edited May 2012
    Been building a prototype oil drilling and refinery operation:
    Important tip: Never worry about wasting fuel on your cooling pumps.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Playing a lot of Spaz (Space Pirates and Zombies), I love overhead spaceship action games.
  • I see you are using the BuildCraft mod. Are you using it on it's own or part of the Technic pack? I've been playing with the Technic pack for a little bit, but haven't done anything with oil as it's way too far from me. Instead I've been using the geothermal generator to power my stuff. Although I'm in the process of making a nuclear reactor.
  • edited May 2012
    For anyone who hasn't played Fez yet, I totally admit to cheating to figure out some of the crazier puzzles but I regret looking up the solutions to code languages. I had heard that people had just used brute force to solve them and since some of the other puzzles had ARG crowd source kind of solutions I figured they were the same, but they can actually be solved with clues in the game.

Don't look those up until you have abosolutley no where else to go. There are mutiple places that give you hints.

One other thing; when you finish the game for the first time, you get the ability to see in first person. This is not a superfluous ability.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I am really tempted to pre-order Endless Space now that it's on Steam. I have my doubts, but I just feel like I have to do it...
  • I am really tempted to pre-order Endless Space now that it's on Steam. I have my doubts, but I just feel like I have to do it...
    It's basically the Breakfast club Game Of Choice for May. Anything you want to know about it?

It's basically the Breakfast club Game Of Choice for May. Anything you want to know about it?

First, do you think it is primarily going to be a single-player game or a multi-player game?

Have you played Master of Orion II? If you have, do you feel like it hits that same itch? My current knowledge of the research tree and combat itself don't sound incredibly awesome... but I don't know without having tried anything.
  • I bought it and played a bit with it, though I'm waiting till Multi-player works to really learn the game.
  • edited May 2012
    First, do you think it is primarily going to be a single-player game or a multi-player game?
    Hard to say at this point, since Multiplayer isn't fully coded yet(and thus, not included in the game yet, according to the progress page, it's about 20% done, but is the next debug section project, so propably will be included when it hits the beta stage). That said, the way it plays so far, and the way it's spoken about, it seems to be a 50-50 mix - the Singleplayer and the multiplayer will be very similar experiences. I'm really, really looking forward to it, to be honest.
    Have you played Master of Orion II? If you have, do you feel like it hits that same itch? My current knowledge of the research tree and combat itself don't sound incredibly awesome... but I don't know without having tried anything.
    Hell yeah, that used to be my jam, I was well into it. As for this game hitting the same itch - again, it's hard to say, this isn't even beta yet. But the way I find myself describing it is that it's MOO2, but prettier, fancier, and with a whole swathe of modern upgrades and conveniences, with some quirky humor and fun fluff as a delicious frosting.

Basically, if MOO2 was a Rich lemon cheesecake, ES is a white and dark chocolate swirl cheesecake with a georgeous fruit sauce and cream on the side*, but it's not quite there yet, they're still making the buttery Biscuit base and mixing up the actual cake, let alone chucking it in the fridge to set, but the cook(s) are offering you to taste from the mixing spoon**.

*- your taste in cakes is not relevant to this analogy.

**- Food safety concerns aside, of course.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2012
    I should also note, they have both large updates, and smaller bugfix updates that are very frequent - for example, they're not adding multiplayer yet, but just the other day they fixed a laundry-list of problems with the AI, balance and so on - for example, you could trivially dominate with missile ships, because the AI pretty much NEVER built missile defenses - whereas now, if you use missiles too much, they'll pack their ships with flak screens, or too many lasers, and they'll use a ton of barriers. And then followed with another patch two or three days later.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I should also note, they have both large updates, and smaller bugfix updates - for example, they're not adding multiplayer yet, but just the other day they fixed a laundry-list of problems with the AI, balance and so on - for example, you could trivially dominate with missile ships, because the AI pretty much NEVER built missile defenses - whereas now, if you use missiles too much, they'll pack their ships with flak screens, or too many lasers, and they'll use a ton of barriers.
    I don't even know what game you are talking about, but I wonder. Will the AI build all those missile defenses as soon as you build missiles, or will they wait until they "find out" you have missiles. This is always a problem with lots of AI in games. They use information to make decisions that would otherwise be secret to a human player. In other words, they cheat. The problem is, if they only gave the AI information that a player would have access to, then it would be trivially easy to beat because our AI technology is not that advanced, and it is incredibly difficult write good AI.

• edited May 2012
    I don't even know what game you are talking about, but I wonder. Will the AI build all those missile defenses as soon as you build missiles, or will they wait until they "find out" you have missiles. This is always a problem with lots of AI in games. They use information to make decisions that would otherwise be secret to a human player. In other words, they cheat. The problem is, if they only gave the AI information that a player would have access to, then it would be trivially easy to beat because our AI technology is not that advanced, and it is incredibly difficult write good AI.
    It's Endless Space, a new 4x game in the vein of Masters of Orion 2, go back two posts for the longer blah blah blah about that comparison.

They seem to be running an "Honest" AI, or at least, trying to. It doesn't seem to know you have missiles(or whatever other weapon information) until it encounters you in combat a few times, and it has enough "observational" data to reasonably expect you to be fielding fleets heavy on the missiles most of the time. It's not instant - varying your weapons and fleet composition seems to work quite well, if you do it intelligently and observe what they do in combat. It also seems to adapt to what you do with your "cards" - more on that in a moment - but it doesn't seem to be very good at it.

Now, the cards - Along with the combat, millitary power, weapons, shields, heros, all that stuff, there is also a mechanic if you choose to manually battle, where the combat is broken into three phases(long, medium, and short range) where for each, you pick a card from your set of cards - everyone starts out with the same basic set, but some come with the randomly generated heros, some come with research, some come with ship modifications, etc etc. That's basically a more complex rock paper scissors, along with being connected to the other factors - for example, in the long range phase, you can play an engineering card that amps up your deflectors, but that might be defeated by a sabotage card that also reduces the accuracy of your guns, but that card can be defeated by a tactics card that increases your damage but lowers your defence, and so on - it's more complex than that, but you get the gist. If you successfully defeat the opponent's card, then your card's own effect is enhanced, and theirs is null. If both are successful, things go as normal, and you can also choose not to select a card, but god knows why.

DISCLAIMER: I've played a fair bit of the game over the past few weeks, however, you and I both know that I'm not an AI programmer or any other sort of thing like that, and I can only make rough guesses via frequent observation.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sounds sufficiently interesting to throw down for then.
  • Did a 100+ player Co-Op in ArmA this past weekend. If people are interested, I might post an AAR as 2nd Platoon Leader (We had a whole company!)
  • Spy Party, Pokemon Black.
  • edited May 2012
    Pokemon Black.
    You made the right choice. The city with the final gym will look like it's on the Game Grid. Did you end up starting with Snivy?

Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I finally just got into Spy Party too. Probably won't be able to play it much till after finals, though :/
  • Pokemon Black.
    You made the right choice. The city with the final gym will look like it's on the Game Grid. Did you end up starting with Snivy?

No, I picked the shell guy. I like seashells. I'm actually trying something different this time. I'm leveling up all the crap super common Pokemon like the pig nose zubat thing and the crappy gray pidgeon. Six geodudes can't lose!

• Animal Crossing: Wild World. So many weeds. All my flowers are gone. One a bright note, my white turnips were still good because they were on tables. Also I earned like 100,000 bells in interest.
  • Pokemon Black.

No, I picked the shell guy. I like seashells. I'm actually trying something different this time. I'm leveling up all the crap super common Pokemon like the pig nose zubat thing and the crappy gray pidgeon. Six geodudes can't lose!

Nice, Oshawott is pretty awesome. Also, Swoobat is a pretty good Pokemon. Psychic/Flying type? Hells yeah!

• Pokemon Black.

Nice, Oshawott is pretty awesome. Also, Swoobat is a pretty good Pokemon. Psychic/Flying type? Hells yeah!

Grab a Darumaka when you get to the desert and a Joltik in the Chargestone cave. Timburr and his evolutions look dumb but are amazing.
  • I got some karate dude. Named him Miyagi. Probably have to use him to beat this gym leader that is rumored to use normal and be weak to fighting.
  • OK, I am failing majorly here... it's my first turn in Endless Space and I can't figure out how to move my fleet. I was able to colonize a planet in my home system, but I can't figure out what to click to move them. I missed some step in the UI.
  • Maybe I'm not so fail. Restarting my computer seems to have fixed it.