This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Even if you remove the discussion over whether it's harder to do or not, it's just not necessary. It's a pointlessly complicated mechanic.
  • New in Half Life 3: buttons for inhaling and exhaling!
  • edited October 2012
    I wish they hadn't tried so hard to include the crouch jumping mechanic from HL.
    Get on my level (by hitting crouch just after you jump to get a little extra height).

Edit: half a dozen posts appeared between me starting to thumb out my post on my phone and posting so now instead of being hilarious, I appear to have jumped on another Muppet trolling session which was not my intention.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Crouch-jumping is an archaic mechanic arising from what was original a buggy implementation of how crouching worked in FPSs while airborne. Quake players find it second-nature, as it was just part of the game. I instinctively crouch-jump even to this day in games that have no such bullshit.

It has little or no place in modern games. Including it in a new game is analogous to keeping creep blocking in MOBAs.
  • Who's trolling?
  • It has little or no place in modern games. Including it in a new game is analogous to keeping creep blocking in MOBAs.
  • If it doesn't have (tribes) skiing, rocket jumping, and grappling hooks, why even play?
  • Oh God, grappling hooks. Who remembers the (terrible) Cold Ice HL mod?
  • I stopped playing Black Mesa as soon as I found out it wasn't finished.
  • After about 2 hours of play I'm already up to the point where the human grunts start showing up, so I don't think I've got much left.
    So you're at "we've got hostiles"? Then you have probably at least 8 hours to go.

• After about 2 hours of play I'm already up to the point where the human grunts start showing up, so I don't think I've got much left.
    So you're at "we've got hostiles"? Then you have probably at least 8 hours to go.

My memory of the HL timeline sucks after so many years. :-)
  • People having problems with three keys at the same time get no sympathy from me, my five foot pedals, seventeen button mouse, and macro keyboard.
    lol
  • You got problems, I got my pedals.
  • I had a set up like that when I played Mechwarrior 3 a lot. Mechwarrior 4 ruined the franchise.

I haven't "played" flight simulators in a decade or more.

I got 99 problems but my pitch (and yaw) ain't one?
  • I had a set up like that when I played Mechwarrior 3 a lot. Mechwarrior 4 ruined the franchise.

I haven't "played" flight simulators in a decade or more.

I got 99 problems but my pitch (and yawn) ain't one?
    Fixed that for you.

• You should see me when I actually need to use all those contrived inputs... I specifically bought that Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard that has no ghosting because I have issues with hitting way way too many simultaneous inputs at once. The day they can just plug a single input device into my brain will be a happy day.
  • Good lord dude what games are you even playing with that setup?
  • edited October 2012
    Good lord dude what games are you even playing with that setup?
    All of them. But the main reason for all the buttons and foot pedals is MMORPGs, mech games, and space flight sims. At least one foot pedal for push-to-talk is used in every game obviously, the others for switching modes accelerate/decelerate or combos that involve multiple keys, and the extra mouse buttons are for mouse based actions.

Sometimes I duplicate functionality on multiple keys (like League of Legends) where some characters it's preferential to use qwer, while others using mouse buttons is superior depending. With WoW it was definitely a creeping mechanic where 60+ spells and macros that functioned various different ways created a lot of overhead.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I've started playing Skyrim again with several mods.

One in particular models temperature and climate and how it effects you while you're traveling. You have to be mindful of where you are going and plan ahead so you don't freeze to death. While it can seem like a pain, I'm really enjoying having to prepare and think about how I travel across the land. I make use of the inns and other villages along the way and utilize more of the "junk" items available to make food and shelter. Not for everyone, but I find it challenging and rewarding.
  • I tend to like mods like that, but I play Skyrim on XBOX. :-/
  • I play New Vegas with mods like that. Having to hunt down water everywhere in the desert is pretty cool.
  • New Vegas has hardcore mode without mods.
  • Regular hardcore mode is boring. Hardcore mode that pays attention to if you are in shadow and has weather is awesome.
  • edited October 2012
    I have been going through my Steam library in roughly alphabetical order, for no other reason than to apply some structure to me clearing out my backlog. Right now I'm about 75% of the way through Bit.Trip Runner, and it confirms that Bit.Trip games are awesome. You should play them. I'm actually curious to try the Bit.Trip Saga collection for 3DS, as I imagine the art style would be perfect for the 3D effect.

Other Steam games I've beaten in the last month or so were Bastion and Costume Quest. Bastion scratched a huge beat-em-up itch and was incredibly well put together from an art standpoint. Costume Quest is cool b/c it crams the JRPG feel into only a few hours, and has a really funny story. It was something my wife enjoyed playing together, so I'll take it.

Last game I beat was Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS. Think I might have mentioned this elsewhere but I really liked the game. Not the best RE I've ever played but it is not straight-up action like RE5 and (from what I hear) RE6. It's a perfect blend. Definitely got some survival and some horror in there.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Got a beta key for Planetside 2. Started troubleshooting connection issues for that last night. Didn't get into the game, although I think it's being caused by Peerblock. I couldn't test that theory this morning.

So that's what I'm gonna be doing tonight. That, and the rainbow vomit that is Rayman Origins.
  • Anybody up for some Worms Revolution?
  • I just got my Planetside 2 beta key right now. I think I'm gonna try it tonight.
  • I tried it. It is confusing, but so fun. The UI is very, very busy.

• edited October 2012
    I tried it. It is confusing, but so fun. The UI is very, very busy.

Too right, aye - the UI is a bit of a pain in the ass, but you get used to it. Nice features so far - It separates text chat by area, but you can do text and voice to your squad and outfit over infinite distance, and you can do close-range voice chat that ANYONE can hear, including the enemy.

The flying controls are whack as shit, too.

Also, take the headlights off your Flash ATV. They don't help during the day, and they only make you a great big target at night.

Post edited by Churba on