This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• I finished Half-Life 2 yesterday and want so much more.
    I'm two chapters from the end, and I'm finding it a bit dull. I know my way of playing is a bit slow, but the story is really getting to me.

Also, I keep being given civilian soldiers, and I try to keep them all alive. It turns out, for story reasons, that there are some situations I can't escape with anyone else. Everyone else has to die. It took me a while to work this out, but now I'm resigned to it. It makes me feel bad.
  • Also, I keep being given civilian soldiers, and I try to keep them all alive. It turns out, for story reasons, that there are some situations I can't escape with anyone else. Everyone else has to die. It took me a while to work this out, but now I'm resigned to it. It makes me feel bad.
    That's the point. Just ignore them, they're useless.
  • edited August 2010
    That's the point. Just ignore them, they're useless.
    I wouldn't call anything that gives the combine something else to shoot at entirely useless, but they're not exactly killing machines, that's for sure. I think the reason Freeman is such a hero is because everyone else is bloody hopeless.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I finished Half Life 2 last night. I got a bit annoyed with it. I fucking hate Gordon Freeman. If the game had all the same styles of play, and all the same weapons, but was half the length, it would be awesome. And if it didn't bother with the story either.

What's the point of a story if everything you do is negated time and time again by the actions of NPC characters?

Maybe I'm just not that into computer games. I don't think I've ever finished a game like this and felt fulfilled or satisfied. Then again, I could list all the games I've ever completed on my fingers.
  • edited August 2010
    Maybe I'm just not that into computer games.
    Well, you like Natural Selection and such. You just don't like single-player games. Most (FPS) gamers loved HL2 and thought it was brilliant, so if you don't like this one it seems it's unlikely you'd enjoy any other single-player games.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I adore HL1 but am not so big on HL2. It happens.
  • Mirror's Edge is a game which, on a second play, is both more entertaining, because you play much more smoothly, and more frustrating, as the problems with the physics become more apparent.
  • I've heard that Mirror's Edge is way more fun if you just turn on god mode and book it past all of the enemies.
  • Fucking Water Temple son of a bitch.
    I always hated the Shadow Temple more. Although, that is viewed through the lens of childhood; part of the difficulty was probably that it scared me a little bit, more than anything else.
  • Forest temple scared me the most, partially due to the sudden change in tone from the young temples (Much more empty and eerie.), and the introduction of wallmasters and some of the other enemies.
  • wallmasters
    FUCK wallmasters.
  • I just beat Mass Effect 2. I am also playing Red Dead Redemption, Bio Shock 2, FFXIII and always Halo 3.
  • I picked up Borderlands on a whim the other day thanks to the Steam sale. FPS games had been giving me a massive case of motion sickness in the past but this one seems to be doing well for me.
  • I adore HL1 but am not so big on HL2. It happens.
    I enjoyed HL1 far more than HL2. HL2 had too much random shit. I really like shooting things and running around. I don't like driving, or protecting things, or working with NPC characters, or story. Just set up situations where I have to get from A to B, and shoot aliens along the way. I'm happy.

NS is awesome though.
  • edited August 2010
    I always hated the Shadow Temple more. Although, that is viewed through the lens of childhood; part of the difficulty was probably that it scared me a little bit, more than anything else.
    Scary dungeons? That fucking well was the worst. I couldn't understand it at all. And yeah, fuck Wallmasters with a rake.
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • The well and the Shadow Temple both scared the crap out of me. My brother beat it by turning down the volume, because the music frightened the ever-living crap out of us.
  • Just beat Bioshock 2.
    Which Water Temple? The one in Twilight Princess is the worst one ever, that fucking staircase gives me Vietnam-esque flashbacks.
  • edited August 2010
    People running uTorrent, go to Help-->About and press the "T" key.

I started playing Age of Mythology and it made me realise what I really wanted to play was Populous.

Update: Fuck yeah! Populous!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2010
    I never realized how much micro-managing Populous requires. Your braves will sit around doing nothing for long periods of time if you spread your base too much.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Metroid: Other M is pretty good. Not amazing, but an interesting take on the Metroid formula. Collecting upgrades is pretty easy, though.
  • I just paid in full my preorder of Halo: Reach. I also picked up a game I have yet to play, Dead Space. Any thoughts?
  • Wooo i got into the Final Fantasy 14 beta. There goes my weekend.
  • Wooo i got into the Final Fantasy 14 beta. There goes my life for the next five to ten years..
  • Wooo i got into the Final Fantasy 14 beta. There goes mylife for the next five to ten years..
    I get bored easily. Since i'm starting a new job on tuesday it seems like a good idea to get it out of my system. However there is that slight possibility i will like it.
  • Just beat Bayonetta last night. I wasn't completely sold on the game at first, dismissing it as just Devil May Cry with a sexy female protagonist; it turns out he game is actually an extremely deep and thoughtful commentary on the constantly evolving social and economic role of Eastern Asian countries in an increasingly Westernized world... just kidding. It totally is an over-the-top and shallow action game, and which luckily does not take itself seriously. At all. There are a lot of cringe worthy bits of dialogue and action sequences, but they're all done with a wink and a nod at the camera (in most cases quite literally.)

The fighting mechanics are solid, involving carefully timed dodges that will cause you to slow down time and perform very satisfying combos. It has interesting weapons that use the same command inputs, but at the same time yield very different feeling moves. Not to mention the fact that game turns into
    Space Harrier
    and
    After Burner
    at one point, complete with the theme song and everything. It's a surprisingly quality game coming from SEGA, who (as hard it is to admit coming from a SEGA fanboy like myself) has not really had a huge number of good games lately. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a Devil May Cry or God of War style of game with a dash of SEGA nostalgia thrown in there.
  • I'm still playing Starcraft 2 (and getting pretty good at it) but my dark secret is that when we're together, I sometimes close my eyes and imagine that I'm with Fallout: New Vegas instead.

Oh my goodness, is it my most anticipated game ever.

In fact, why am I not playing it RIGHT NOW?

Avellone! Answer me, damn you!
  • I'm still playing Starcraft 2 (and getting pretty good at it) but my dark secret is that when we're together, I sometimes close my eyes and imagine that I'm with Fallout: New Vegas instead.

Oh my goodness, is it my most anticipated game ever.

In fact, why am I not playing it RIGHT NOW?

Avellone! Answer me, damn you!
    I played way too much Starcraft 2 when it came out. I wish i could have played more but job search and all that. I cant believe i didn't touch a game for 3 weeks. I only very recently started gaming again. I picked up Dragon Quest for the DS, it is very good.
  • I am currently playing a bunch of snes and nes games on my iTouch.