This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• No pictures, nothing special. Tonight I cooked up some Trader Joe's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper soup topped with dried onions along with grilled cheddar cheese and honey ham sandwiches on sourdough. I added dill to the sandwiches.

So perfect for a cold night.
  • edited November 2010
    I made chicken in a roasted red pepper and herb pesto sauce. I'm just using plain ol' spaghetti for the pasta.

Not too shabby.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I say Peh-Cahn
    Ditto. And I give Pete shit every time he says pee can. Sorry, but my food is not a repository for urine.
  • I say Peh-Cahn
    Ditto. And I give Pete shit every time he says pee can. Sorry, but my food is not a repository for urine.
    But your urine is a repository for spent food! What ho!
  • I am, apparently, the only person who pronouces it like "Peakin' " as in, "Hey, some dude is peakin' in your window"
  • I am, apparently, the only person who pronouces it like "Peakin' " as in, "Hey, some dude is peakin' in your window"
    Yeah, you're just wrong.
  • I have conducted a thorough investigation and have discovered that the correct pronunciation of pecan is like peek on, or pecahn. The peek-an that sounds like toucan is not correct.
  • I have conducted a thorough investigation and have discovered that the correct pronunciation of pecan is like peek on, or pecahn. The peek-an that sounds like toucan is not correct.
    In a 'the dictionary says it's wrong' kind of way? Or a 'northerners say it pecahn' kind of way? As far as I've been keeping track of it pee-can is mostly a southern thing.
  • Yeah, you're just wrong.
  • Ramen is an excellent vehicle for leftover Thanksgiving ham.
    Fried rice would also work really well.
    Fried rice would also work really well.
    QFT, my father makes the best leftover ham fried rice with finely chopped onions, egg, and yumminess.
  • Just put a pot roast in the oven. With bacon in it. This will either end with magic or tears. Possibly magical tears.
  • edited December 2010

So, my brother made bacon-wrapped chicken, while I (in the background) made a risotto for the first time. It was really good...I'll need to try more methods. For the record, the chicken looks that way because it was stuffed with mozzarella, wrapped with bacon and olive oil in aluminum foil, and boiled for about 20 minutes. It's then refrigerated, and then put on the cast-iron pan. That way, the bacon sticks to the chicken whenever you sear it, so you great really nice bacon and chicken. I know it's strange, but works and makes a really awesome chicken-bacony liquid you can use for later or sauces.

It's a Green Herb Risotto, where I combined fresh parsley, basil, spinach, garlic, butter and chicken stock with a blender. I made leeks and shallots (Which is probably now my favorite vegetable combo) in a pot, added the arborio rice, and then deglazed it with wine. Added the mixture in bit by bit, and once it was right, I added a wee bit of olive oil and Parmesan cheese.

I'm not sure why chefs go so insane for this dish...
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I know it's strange, but works and makes a really awesome chicken-bacony liquid you can use for later or sauces.
    Gordon Ramsay inspired?
  • I know it's strange, but works and makes a really awesome chicken-bacony liquid you can use for later or sauces.
    Gordon Ramsay inspired?
    I believe it was. We are saving the juices, not sure what we'll use it for.
  • I believe it was. We are saving the juices, not sure what we'll use it for.
    Make a gravy and pour it over country fried steak.
  • edited December 2010
    Did I ever tell you guys about the time I put french fries in a quesadilla?

It was delicious. That's about all there is to tell.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • It was delicious. That's about all there is to tell.
    BRB, cleaning my arteries.
  • It was delicious. That's about all there is to tell.
    BRB, cleaning my arteries.
    It's not so bad. I always get the french fries in the falafel pita.
  • I grilled up some burgers on my cast iron grill pan the other day. On the left is a lamb burger with spinach and feta cheese mixed in with a traditional beef burger on the right.
  • I am starting a sourdough culture today!
  • Meatloaf pizza is better then expected.
  • I just made some motherfuckin' amazing pumpkin pancakes yesterday with all the leftover pumpkin puree from the ones I roasted to make pies for Thanksgiving. I am especially proud of how well they turned out given that I had no milk and no eggs. Vegan, basically, although not on purpose.
  • I'm making chicken curry tonight with the basic S&B Golden Curry mix. I plan on adding celery, peas, and carrots to the mix, but not potatoes. I want to add more veggies, but I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions?
  • Broccoli and sugar snaps are a good call. Buy them frozen in oriental stir-fry mixes or whatever.

Can you share your recipe? I'm looking for a hearty one-pot to make with stuff I have at home. I'm thinking I'll add peanut butter and sriracha to get closer to a gado-gado sauce, and sliced beef short rib instead of chicken.
  • edited December 2010
    I just basically follow the instructions on the side of the S&B Golden Curry mix box. Cook chicken, I normally cut them into bite sized pieces and have them marinate a bit in some olive oil, basil, cumin, paprika, lemon pepper, or whatever I feel like adding.

When boiling the chicken and veggies together I also had 2 basilbay leaves for more flavor. Add the mix, and voila, yummy curry.

I'm thinking about buying a crock pot at work so I can make curry with that and to just have a crock pot.

That reminds me I need to go and buy some naan. Maybe I might add asparagus to this to see how it goes.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm thinking about buying a crock pot at work so I can make curry with that and to just have a crock pot.
    Don't make the mistake I did and get the big crock pot. Get the small one. Crock pots only really work when they are full. Thus, if your crock pot is big, you can only make a lot of food. Trying to make a small amount of food in a big pot will end in tears.