This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Then ricotta is also yucky.
    You don't like Cannelloni, Manicotti, Lasagna, or any other Italian stuffed pasta dishes?
    You don't like Cannelloni, Manicotti, Lasagna, or any other Italian stuffed pasta dishes?
    I like those. Maybe it's because the ricotta in the cannoli is cold.
    I like those. Maybe it's because the ricotta in the cannoli is cold.
    It may be that you don't particularly like the succade ricotta sweet cream that is used.
  • I also dislike cannoli and most other "sweet" applications of ricotta.
  • Paula Deen makes her lasagna with cottage cheese.
    O_O It cannot be so.
  • Paula Deen's Lots O'Meat Lasagna

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
    1 pound ground Italian sausage
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons ground oregano
    1 teaspoon ground basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
    2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
    1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
    1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmigianno-Reggiano
    2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    9 oven-ready lasagna noodles
    2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella

Yeah, I wept when I saw her make this. Then I cried harder when she turned it into a sandwich. ON WHITE BREAD. NON-ITALIAN WHITE BREAD.
  • I was dragged to Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, not worth the hour and half car ride.
  • Problem? Sounds delicious to me.
    OMFG.

Lasagna is made with ricotta. Actually, it shouldproperlybe made with a bechemel, but ricotta is an acceptable deviation.

Paula Deen makes her lasagna with cottage cheese. That right there should tell you to stay the fuck away.
    Peter is sooooo right. My brother makes lasagna with bechamel instead of ricotta. It is quite easily the best lasagna I've ever had. Bechamel + Asiago will make you forget all about that cheese. Maybe use ricotta, is you can make it fresh, and Ricotta is one of those few cheeses you can make fresh quickly and quite easily.
  • I'm amazed every time I read this thread of your ability to still be able to enjoy food at all...
  • I'm amazed every time I read this thread of your ability to still be able to enjoy food at all...
    The secret: butter.
    The secret: butter.
    Butter and being able to take risks.

I'm convinced that yakiudon could be the best recipe for taking any random food in the cupboards/fridge and make a delicious fast meal. I made my one with leftover turkey as I posted earlier today, but I actually did it a second time with completely different ingredients too. I used Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Celery, Bell Pepper (Here's where it gets weird) Beef Stock, Gruyere and Garlic Sausage, Mustard Spice, Worcestershire Sauce and Sherry Wine. And it was fucking amazing.
  • I'm convinced that yakiudon could be the best recipe for taking any random food in the cupboards/fridge and make a delicious fast meal.
    Yakiudon!?

SHARE WITH US YOUR SECRETS.
  • I'm convinced that yakiudon could be the best recipe for taking any random food in the cupboards/fridge and make a delicious fast meal.
    Yakiudon!?

SHARE WITH US YOUR SECRETS.
    1. Boil Udon Noodles in Stock, Salt/Pepper and Garlic Cloves (About 3). Be sure when you strain, you SAVE all the liquid you can. Don't do it in the sink, strait it over another pot.
    2. Grate Carrots/Onion. Julianne the Bell Pepper. Those three are essential, but celery and snow peas are really good too.
    3. Melt butter at medium heat, and add carrots and onions. Cook until translucent.
    4. Now, we have fun. Add two of your liquids, a savory and sweet. I've done it with Soy Sauce and Mirin or Worcestershire and Sherry.
    5. Then add your bell pepper and your additional vegetables. They are added late for crispness.
    6. Add your spicy or sour flavors, and let the liquid cook down.
    7. Now, insert your meat. If it's thin or shredded enough, you can add it with the stew automatically. But if it's chunks of chicken or sausage like I did, cook that stuff with your leftover stock separately. Give it about 5-10 minutes, mostly to heat up. Keep an eye on the heat and stirring, because I've tended to burn things while making this. ^^;
    8. Add your noodles and leftover stock. Give it a nice stir. It won't have much liquid due to how the udon soaks it up, but it will have a small amount left and the noodles will have that consistency.
    9. Simmer for 10-20 minutes.
    10. Enjoy.

I really love making dishes in under an hour, and this could be one of my favorites. Especially since I was able to do it in two completely different types of flavors.
  • Paula Deen makes her lasagna with cottage cheese.
    O_O It cannot be so.
    Cottage cheese is the standard cheap replacement for recipes that call for ricotta, it's very common.
  • Cottage cheese is the standard cheap replacement for recipes that call for ricotta, it's very common.
    Yeah, and you know, honestly, some of us cretins simply don't like the taste of ricotta.
  • Cottage cheese is the standard cheap replacement for recipes that call for ricotta, it's very common.
    Yeah, and you know, honestly, some of us cretins simply don't like the taste of ricotta.
    Go ahead. I'm just not a big fan of cheese in general. The blander it is, the more I tend to be okay with it. With the exception of cheddar, I will have cheddar any day of the week.
  • Cheddar gets a bad rep as a "mundane" cheese, especially because some "cheddar" is actually a type of processed American cheese. But true cheddar is so, so good. Tillamook, New York, Wisconsin, Kerrygold Black Wax Extra Sharp? Oh mans. It's like provolone; no matter how "common" it seems, put out actual cheddar at a party and watch it disappear.
  • I once had a 6 year old cheddar cheese. It was intense.
  • Cheddar gets a bad rep as a "mundane" cheese, especially because some "cheddar" is actually a type of processed American cheese. But true cheddar is so, so good. Tillamook, New York, Wisconsin, Kerrygold Black Wax Extra Sharp? Oh mans. It's like provolone; no matter how "common" it seems, put out actual cheddar at a party and watch it disappear.
    It's true, a lot of people take a hipster attitude towards cheese. If you've heard of the cheese, it must be bad. Not true. I personally enjoy even a quality plain old american cheese, such as Land 'O Lakes, as long as you get at at the deli counter. It's not my favorite cheese, but it's damn good. One of my favorite not so exciting cheeses is Mun-Chee cheese. It's kinda hard to find, though.
  • I personally enjoy even a quality plain old american cheese, such as Land 'O Lakes, as long as you get at at the deli counter. It's not my favorite cheese, but it's damn good.
    That's not cheese.
  • That's not cheese.
    No true Scotsman much?
  • No true Scotsman much?
    No, it's cheese analogue.
  • No true Scotsman much?
    No, it'scheese analogue.
    Says there it's a processed cheese. Processed cheese is still cheese. Also, laughing cow is also a processed cheese, and I quite like that as well, The baybel laughing cow cheeses are quite tasty.
  • edited February 2011
    That's not cheese.
    No true Scotsman much?
    American cheese is prepared using lots of artificial coloring and emulsifiers. I like it on my burgers (unless I can get blue cheese), but it definitely isn't a cheese in the traditional sense.

I will admit to a propensity for liking process cheeses; I've got a sore spot for Laughing Cow at any time and Cheese Whiz on crackers when I'm drunk. That being said, I am a cheese snob through and through. I do not apologize.

EDIT: Oh lord do I love me some Babybel.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also, laughing cow is also a processed cheese, and I quite like that as well, The baybel laughing cow cheeses are quite tasty.
    My cat, Digit, agrees with you. However, we've been eating Frigo String Cheese and she loses her shit when she hears us open the package.

Fuck, I'm craving all kinds of cheeses but don't feel like going to the store.
  • edited February 2011
    Fuck, I'm craving all kinds of cheeses but don't feel like going to the store.
    Goddamn, me too. I'm gonna get something cheesy for lunch. Maybe I'll buy a bale-top jar and some chevre later, cut it in slices, and pack it in rosemary, thyme, and olive oil. It keeps for a while if you keep the cheese under the oil with the jar sealed and refrigerated, and it turns an inexpensive cheese into a godly one.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Says there it's a processed cheese. Processed cheese is still cheese. Also, laughing cow is also a processed cheese, and I quite like that as well, The baybel laughing cow cheeses are quite tasty.
    So Kraft singles are real cheese?
  • I once had a 6 year old cheddar cheese. It wasintense.
    I've had some Aged Vermont Sharp Cheddar, which is so sharp it makes you cringe.

I'm a bit cheese snobby too, but it's with certain ones. Like there's that Kraft Parmesan which is pure powder, compared to the real stuff or Pecorino Romano which is fantastic. I want to get more into soft cheeses though, like Bree, but I mostly see is it as a "Snack Cheese." It's the best cheese on crackers imo.
  • I want to get more into soft cheeses though, like Bree, but I mostly see is it as a "Snack Cheese."
    Brie? It's no snack cheese, boy. You ever have a turkey and brie sandwich, with some red onion, arugala, and spinach, and a bit or cranberry chutney and mayo, or Branston pickle? That's a sandwich to weep over.

Brie is a prince of cheeses, and can stand alone. Get a triple-cream brie. I recommend L'explorateur, a triple-cream Brie with a sliver label and rocket ship (they created the cheese in 1969). It's so creamy it melts on your tongue into the consistence of thick cream, slightly acidic, tangy, and a wee bit salty. It takes you to a different place. Buy some at Whole Foods. Spread it over a nice French baguette and see why it could easily be a meal unto itself.